• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
    Based on this PennLive article it doesn't seem like anyone involved was an IUP student

Looks like one shooting was due to some sort of argument and the other was revenge for an alleged robbery.

The young man who was shot and killed, Carlos, was an IUP student. The 'alleged' (and arrested) shooter was not. He was a local with quite the rap sheet. Carlos was shot twice in the chest after there was supposedly a fist fight. The girl who was hit in this incident was hit during the fracas.

The other shooting took place near 12th and Philly. It seems to be more of a random run-in between two groups and the nutcase pulled out a gun, fired two warning shots in the air and then 3 shots at the victims.

The Cooper Beach incident (third) ... nobody was hit. That could have just been a drunk moron firing shots off at 230am.

The police force did a tremendous job getting both shooters in custody quickly. They are completely overwhelmed during this event.

We can only hope to not wake up and read about more violence tomorrow morning. Hopefully most of campus is passed out now after they went pretty hard today from 9am well through dinner.

IUP will say this isn't their event. The shootings were 'off campus' (although the 1200 block area of Oakland Ave is within a weak pitching wedge) ... if anything President Driscoll should pay for cleaning up the neighborhoods all of his animals destroyed the past two days.

What's further amazing is the house where an IUP student was shot and killed last night ... was surrounded by thousands of party-goers by 11am today in the houses and yards right beside it. All under the watch of Pittsburgh news crews. It was completely dispicable.

But, like I said earlier today, the show goes on .... the inmates run the asylum at IUP -- and IUP runs Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

There is little the area can do to control off campus private parties when they are all on the same day, and with social media, everyone gets invited. It's a problem at most schools. The costs to bring in extra police is often funded by the state, but it is very expensive for the local communities.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Carlson
    replied

This situation reminds of Iowa State's VEISHEA....was the largest student run festival in the country at one time. Was basically a week long drunk fest that every college-aged person in Iowa showed up to, whether they were a student or not. The year I was a student, a non-student stabbed a student at a frat party. The next year, they announced VEISHEA would be a dry event....no alcohol allowed on campus during the week at all. That policy was enforced about as well as the speed limit. Eventually more stuff happened and three years ago was the last one (after more than 80 years of the festival).

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied

Based on this PennLive article it doesn't seem like anyone involved was an IUP student

The shootings took place near IUP but not on campus, and none of the parties involved was a student there, said Michelle Fryling, a university spokeswoman.
    Looks like one shooting was due to some sort of argument and the other was revenge for an alleged robbery.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

If this event was in the wealthy sections of town it would have ended years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    To be fair, the shootings were by not by students, but locals. the one sounds drug related. The IUP students involved were bystanders according to police. Basically a carriage house incident happened during IUPattys.

But I agree they need to calm down the IUPattys event.
    They need to shut down the IUPattys event.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    IUP students started this "tradition" in and around IUP's campus. IUP officials year after year fail miserably to curtail this garbage and it gets more and more out of control. Spare me the garbage about outside visitors or townies. This is IUP's problem and IUP's fault. And now they have blood on their hands.
    To be fair, the shootings were by not by students, but locals. the one sounds drug related. The IUP students involved were bystanders according to police. Basically a carriage house incident happened during IUPattys.

But I agree they need to calm down the IUPattys event.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

IUP students started this "tradition" in and around IUP's campus. IUP officials year after year fail miserably to curtail this garbage and it gets more and more out of control. Spare me the garbage about outside visitors or townies. This is IUP's problem and IUP's fault. And now they have blood on their hands.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Michelle Fryling has anounced that 2 of the 4 people injured are IUP students. This implies that the shooters were not. since she reports on IUP students. Now maybe she is waiting for more info from police but I'm thinking the real problem here are visitors.
    One of my Facebook friends lives in Indiana Borough and was saying that a lot of the problems with the 'visitors' are drug-related. I can't say that I'm shocked, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Show goes on ... campus is insane right now.

Why let a death and 3 others critical kill the party. Tonight will be another crap show.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not confirmed but it sounds like the deceased victim was a student at Indiana High School.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yes. One confirmed dead. The three others are listed in critical condition. Two suspects in custody.

At least two of the victims have been confirmed as IUP students. It has not been said if the deceased victim was a student.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Valid. But .. when three separate shootings go down on Friday night of IUPATTY'S ... and end up all over the mainstream media ... it doesn't matter if they were students or not. It all gets linked to IUP in public perception.
    Absolutely bad PR at the worst possible time. There was a group trying to reduce the problems, that included university, police, and other groups. Obviously they failed. They have to make IUP unfriendly to these visitors, maybe do some intelligence gathering about where the problems are coming from. Maybe stop the third and forth chances

Edit - WDAD is reporting that one victim had died - so sad
    Last edited by ironmaniup; 03-25-2017, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Valid. But .. when three separate shootings go down on Friday night of IUPATTY'S ... and end up all over the mainstream media ... it doesn't matter if they were students or not. It all gets linked to IUP in public perception.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    They've only confirmed two shootings, which the cops say are unrelated (I call BS on that one): 12th and Philadelphia for the first scene around 1, then on Oakland Street an hour later.
    Third event was firing a weapon, no one was hurt. there was property damage. good old copper Beech

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X