X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden89
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Any IUP supporters on this thread heading to Erie today? Weather is cold, but no snow is in the offing and the roads are fine.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Big one in Erie tonight. Las Vegas, if it actually carried D2 lines, wouldn't want to touch this one.

For starters, there's the Malik Miller injury. I've heard this morning he's doubtful. He missed the first Gannon game 9 days ago and also the Slippery Rock and UPJ meetings. IUP was able to survive against GU and SRU with the 6-man rotation because they were able to stay out of foul trouble. Against UPJ ... complete opposite. Dante Lombardi picked up 3 quick fouls and was able to play just 22 minutes in the loss. That was the difference in the game as previously discussed. With Dante on the bench IUP really only had two scoring options on the floor. UPJ knew it and wisely took advantage of it. Look at the scoring runs in that game with Dante and without Dante. Pretty amazing numbers.

Lombardi had a mixed bag in the first Gannon game. He had 10 assists but also 7 turnovers -- and didn't shoot too good (2-10 and 0-3 from deep). He did log 37 minutes, however. In this situation, just having him on the floor (with his range) has to keep defenses honest. With him on the bench, UPJ was able to focus on Cobo and Glover too much. UPJ had two games worth of tape to observe the 'new look' (short-handed) IUP team.

One interesting item tonight will be watching how Gannon adjusts its defense. IUP shredded the Knights from deep -- hitting 12 of 25 treys on numerous 'wide open' looks. That's not likely to happen twice under John Reilly. Willem wasn't too hot against Gannon -- finishing with 5 boards and 3 points and a few turnovers. That has to improve tonight. Blake Danielak and Ayron Hutton chipped in 4 big treys in that game. For IUP to have a shot tonight, those two need to combine for 12-15 points. Cobo and Glover will get their points. Somebody else has to step up.

This is also Gannon's fourth game in 12 days -- including an emotional, physical game 48 hours ago at Edinboro. That's a heavy load this time of the year. IUP was off this weekend -- not always a good thing but based on the circumstances they needed the break.

The UPJ loss also kept the door open a bit in the West race. IUP enters with a 3-game lead but it's not wrapped up yet. Gannon has the toughest path to end the season -- IUP, Mercyhurst and Slippery Rock. IUP has won five straight in the series.

No prediction on this one. Whichever team wins ... likely wins by less than 5 points.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It was the bye. Lol.

Three games in six days starting tomorrow.

Big week.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Can we get back to basketball talk... hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Man .. you're tough.

I may have posted it twice. Scott English sang "High on a Hill"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLiNdn0jpc

... One of my all-time favorites
    That's a great tune. My dad went to North Catholic back in the 60s when it was still all guys. For obvious reasons this song was popular at dances he went to.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Find a way for IUP in to rock history ...

When the Righteous Brothers played Fisher Auditorium in 1999 ... it may have been their last show. Bobby Hatfield died of an O.D. in the days after.

My opinion, it was one of the best musical shows ever at IUP.
    But he died in November of 2003. His Unchained Melody would have to be one tough song to sing IMHO.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Find a way for IUP in to rock history ...

When the Righteous Brothers played Fisher Auditorium in 1999 ... it may have been their last show. Bobby Hatfield died of an O.D. in the days after.

My opinion, it was one of the best musical shows ever at IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

haha ... I'm 'almost' 40 but an expert of 'oldies' music. I love the 50s and 60s -- by default grew up in a house of it. I've always loved the "doo-wop" era but I have a great interest in the Vietnam era music.
    Yeah, that 60s stuff is pretty hard to beat. I grew up in the 80s and I guess the music was cool enough for that time period....but most of it just doesn't seem to carry through the years very well. Corporate cheese music.

I just heard Zager and Evans "In The Year 2525" this evening. Gotta love that one. I like the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, The Doors and I guess a bunch of stuff from that era. It would have been a great time to be around and young----or at least right up until they drafted you and shipped you off to Vietnam.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    haha ... I'm 'almost' 40 but an expert of 'oldies' music. I love the 50s and 60s -- by default grew up in a house of it. I've always loved the "doo-wop" era but I have a great interest in the Vietnam era music.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Man .. you're tough.

Okay, you got me there. I had never heard of that one at all. A lot of great music made back in those days. Reminded me a bit of The Lettermen for some reason. Try "Graduation Girl" by them. Nice but largely unknown gem.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Man .. you're tough.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Party pooper! lol.

I think you're right. That's a cover. Although, they've covered it so long it's basically their song.

Here's one. Best oldie EVER from Pittsburgh ... by a Yinzer band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6o4ivMe14
    Wait----isn't this the same Beach Boys song you just gave us a few posts back?

What did Scott English sing? I don't recall the name.

I thought for a minute there you were going to give us some former Rock student Donnie Iris and the Cruisers.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Nice! I'm a Beach Boys and Brian Wilson fan myself. I enjoy those plus Let Him Run Wild.
    Let Him Run Wild is a good one as well. I think those songs were all from the pre-Pet Sounds albums Today and Summer Days (and Summer Nights) in '65. They were great in their own right and then Wilson went and raised the bar that much more for Pet Sounds. No wonder he lost his mind through it all. But what a way to do it.

IUPBigIndians and I saw the Beach Boys at IUP in mid-November. Awesome show. Mike Love and Bruce Johnston were there.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Scott English ... best one-hit-wonder EVER ... my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X