X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

The "Big Guy" said his team wasn't prepared for last night. I think that's basically saying he didn't do his job because it is his job to get that team ready game in and game out! I agree, that team didn't look fatigued. I've seen fatigued teams play. That team was not tired! That team was in foul trouble and played out of control all night. They go 7 deep and that's not going to cut it. You get in foul trouble and then you have issues like last night. They need to get deeper!!! That's on the coach!!!

I can see them losing to Gannon and SRU but not Edinboro!!! That Boro team doesn't play that good of D and if you play good D on them you get them! Gannon proved that last night. How often do you see a Reilly team score in the 80's? They did that last night because Edinboro D stinks!

You're right, I don't see this make up going far this year but I also think that's why Keyes is redshirting. Save those two years so he can play with a better quality team. Joe will have to go find himself a PG for next year. Daunte is better suited at the 2 but that's Glover right now.

I can see next years line up looking like this... recruited PG, Daunte, Malik, Willem and Cobo. Armoni, Vaughns, Keyes and 1 recruited guard coming off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Well, it's not 'early' anymore.

At 11-5, IUP is certainly approaching 'bubble' status for March.

At 8 losses they have a shot to go dancing. Nine losses ... maybe. Ten losses ... doubtful.

I see them likely losing the rematch at SRU. I project a split with Gannon and Edinboro. That gets them to 8 losses entering the PSAC Tournament. Slip up and lose a game to a Cal or UPJ and, well, probably start thinking about next season. I don't have much confidence they could win the PSAC Tournament. It will be on the road and, frankly, the East teams are just deeper.

Eight teams make the Regional. West Liberty is a lock. At most they will have two losses (if that). Wheeling Jesuit is a lock. Worst-case they have five losses. Virginia State is a lock and will be in the running to host.

That leaves five spots. The PSAC East has 4 very good teams. Granted, they will beat each other up down the stretch and give each other losses. Fairmont State also isn't likely to lose too many more times. They play Wheeling again and WL again and then the MEC Tournament. The rest of the MEC is pretty down this year. I don't see the big three losing to anybody other than each other.

The CIAA is also famous for having an unknown win its conference tournament and get a bid. VA State will be the clear favorite but we saw last year a team like Bowie go nuts when it counted. Virginia Union could be that type of team this year despite its 9-8 record.

I think right now the PSAC gets at least 3 spots.

IUP is strong enough to win the West. They showed last night they can put on a comedy performance and almost beat a really good ESU team. At this point anything after winning the West would be a bonus in my opinion. The roster makeup just isn't there to make a deep run. They'll be scary team to play and on the right night could upset just about anybody but to string together several 'big game' wins in a row ... I just don't see it. Too sporadic.

After last night (and last nights film gets out), if any team doesn't press them all night ... their coach should have his head examined. They'll win a lot of games the rest of the regular season. I've just lost confidence over the past 2.5 years this team can win when the lights get bright. They are just too careless and make too many self-inflicted mistakes to beat elite teams.

Joe can talk after the game about being tired. I'm not buying it. I watched those guys play full-steam for 40 minutes. They were up 9 late in the game. They'll be sick watching that film today. How do you smash a team 37-22 on the glass, shoot 59 percent for the game and still find a way to lose? Commit an 'alleged' 28 turnovers (likely closer to 35 by my count). Toss in a 'show off for the crowd' technical foul, too.

Tired teams don't shoot 59 percent for a whole game. Tired teams don't out-rebound a great rebounding team by 15. That wasn't a fatigue loss. That was a careless loss -- and despite some of your lovefests for the big guy -- it was a poorly coached loss.

"Big game", 'close' losses are also becoming the norm for this program the past 2-3 years. In the past 2.5 seasons they've lost to West Chester all three times, went 1-3 against Fairmont, 0-2 at home to Shippensburg, losses at home to Virginia State and East Stroudsburg, losses to Findlay and Ferris State. During this stretch the program is 60-17 as of this morning. They are winning everything but the 'big stage' games. Why is that?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

All walk-ons. Keyes is on scholarship but redshirt. Armoni out for season and redshirt.

Vaughns on full ride but plays 30 seconds. That leaves 7 players.

Seven-man rotation for a fully-funded program.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-10-2018, 09:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Great technical by Joe, too. It helped a lot in a close game.
    I missed the technical, the video feed was messed up when all that went down. Joe just talked in his post game that he felt his team was fatigued and not well prepared for the press today b/c of the lack of practice time. He also said they could've used the fifth guard today but he's not available (Armani Foster). He went on to say that he needs to recruit more and be better ready for these situations. He feels his team wasn't deep enough if they got into this situation. Makes me wonder what he truly thinks of the guys past the first 7. He's got 13 on the roster, do the rest of those guys just take up space?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Great technical by Joe, too. It helped a lot in a close game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

ESU is good.

If we didn't have the circus at guard ....

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

More than 28. That's home cooking sckrekeeping.

#crapshow

Unreal they lost that game.

On so many levels.

I can't wait to read the box.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

28 turnovers and lost by 3... Yikes!!! How do you not get a shot off at the end of the game? That ball should have been in Glover's hand.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

So ...

Again ... why wasn't Vaughns the one given the redshirt and Keyes on the active roster? Keyes played a year at UPJ and had a terrific season at Harford last year. He was teammates with SRU's Micah Till and Aaron McDonald (that's a JUCO team ... wow).

We're obviously missing something in this story. Remember nobody had ever heard of Vaughns until late August when he all the sudden appeared on the roster. He was signed with St. Francis (officially).

I don't think Keyes ever signs with IUP if he knew he was taking the redshirt. I get Joe wanting to save him for the next two years but they sure could have used him this year.

It's a strange situation -- in particular since Vaughns' role at best is to give Cobo a quick breather.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'll bring the Jalen Vaghns talk to this thread...

My thoughts are this... When he played the other night on offense, he looked confused as to where he needed to be. Other players were screaming at him and pointing to where he should be, etc. On defense, he looked like he was face guarding "his" man. A few times the dribbler blew by him and he had no clue it happened when he should've been in a help side.

They were up like 15 when Vaughns entered in the second half the other side. That's when the momentum switch out of IUP's hands because Vaughns lack of court discipline. He's really athletic but he definitely needs a lot more of Coach Joe in his ear to learn!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

It's the endless comments from the East posters about the East schools having no scholarships.

However it (the money) is spun, it's just funny.

The PSAC East has 4 dynamite basketball teams this year. About 80 percent walk-ons, I'm led to assume. They just love playing this 'poor me' card so when they lose it's a built-in excuse.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

While I'm not a fan of his antics, I do give Kevin Reynolds a lot of credit for putting a team on the floor that is highly competitive.

I don't know this year's exact scholarship numbers but his 'budget' is typically about one-third of IUP, Gannon, Mercyhurst and California. Basketball is also treated like the 'red-headed stepchild' at SRU compared to football.

I know factually Till and McDonald had offers from all over -- Alderson-Broaddus, Virginia Union, Bowie State ... and several more. Being so many were after them they have to be on full ticket at SRU. That likely means the rest of his roster had about 2.5 to 3 'full ride' equivalencies to divide out.

He certainly takes some character issues and high-risk players. But, he does find a way to keep them more than competitive most years in the PSAC.

I always wonder what he'd do with a full budget. I think he thrives with the 'us against the world' and 'more with less' philosophy. That team was 'up' for that game last night.
    You're also talking ATHLETIC scholarship money too. West Liberty is really good at recruiting kids who also qualify for other aid, especially government grants. The holy trifecta is a scholarship athlete who is also an academic scholarship student who is Pell eligible.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I always forget the poor east schools like WCU have no money. Wink.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Have you ever had an original thought? Hmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Horror Child
    replied

While I'm not a fan of his antics, I do give Kevin Reynolds a lot of credit for putting a team on the floor that is highly competitive.

I don't know this year's exact scholarship numbers but his 'budget' is typically about one-third of IUP, Gannon, Mercyhurst and California. Basketball is also treated like the 'red-headed stepchild' at SRU compared to football.

I know factually Till and McDonald had offers from all over -- Alderson-Broaddus, Virginia Union, Bowie State ... and several more. Being so many were after them they have to be on full ticket at SRU. That likely means the rest of his roster had about 2.5 to 3 'full ride' equivalencies to divide out.

He certainly takes some character issues and high-risk players. But, he does find a way to keep them more than competitive most years in the PSAC.

I always wonder what he'd do with a full budget. I think he thrives with the 'us against the world' and 'more with less' philosophy. That team was 'up' for that game last night.
    Hmmm
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS
    If those kids are really going there for basically no money ... at their quality ... they are morons.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X