X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

All streaks in the history of sports ... have to end at some point. Not saying they'll win, but they aren't going to roll over and be in awe of them, either.

The foul calls are the only reason that game got close last night. IUP had to play the whole fourth quarter in serious, serious foul trouble and it really limited their game on both ends. Thank goodness that game didn't go to overtime. Carolyn's pass break-up and forced jump ball at the end ... one of the more iconic plays in program history.

That was definitely a crew accustomed to calling a more Stonehill-friendly, finesse game. I never realized how physical IUP plays (because all West teams play physical) until you saw them against the polar opposite last night. In a PSAC gym, half of those fouls aren't even called. Brittany's screen ... when the Stonehill player hit it like a brickwall and flew back 5' ... clean as could be. I think the crew got baited in to several calls, also. There was some flopping in the building.

But, you have to play the hand dealt. Unfortunately, the ticky-tack nature made what appeared to be a blowout mid-third quarter in to a tight game.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Nice job. Onto the Final Four.

All that stands in your way is an undefeated defending national champion with a coach who has a career record of 103-2. No big deal. Brush them aside and you'll be in Friday's championship.

Seriously ... best of luck ... be good representatives of the PSAC!
    Its a big Mountain to climb, but the IUP women did beat Pitt this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Survive and advance... those refs were about as ticky tack that I've ever seen. Some of the fouls, I don't even think there was contact. oh well, on to the vaunted Ashland!

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied

Nice job. Onto the Final Four.

All that stands in your way is an undefeated defending national champion with a coach who has a career record of 103-2. No big deal. Brush them aside and you'll be in Friday's championship.

Seriously ... best of luck ... be good representatives of the PSAC!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

FINAL

IUP 74
    Stonehill 71

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

End 3rd

IUP 59
    Stonehill 53

IUP is in serious foul trouble ... gonna be tight.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

HALF

IUP 47
    Stonehill 34

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Late one tonight ... tentative 9:30 p.m. (EST) tip-off.

The Gazette stated yesterday Audrey is up to 'questionable'. If they can get past tonight they can probably have her back for the next one. If she can't go it leaves them a little thin at the guard spot. Recall they've already lost backup PG Ana Hollen for the season (ACL).

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

And it even goes back quite a ways to be honest. The IUP women won the 1988 PSAC title with help from two area standout players named Jan Lightcap (Marion Center) and Sherri Leysock (Homer-Center).

There have even been local players that I thought would be great additions to a PSAC roster and for whatever reason they were never offered at all. I suppose there is a pretty strong stigma against the smaller schools who don't see the elephant of big school competition.

My niece is a fifth-grade basketball player in the area and I have been following her games the past several years. If you ask me have I seen some special young girls who absolutely have basketball talent----I would answer that you had better believe it! Talent is talent, no matter where it is.

That was certainly one area where I gave former IUP WBB coach Jeff Dow a lot of credit for---he was not afraid to sign local players. And all they did was respond by becoming PSAC all-stars.

I believe Livingston is the gal from Blairsville that IUPBigIndians is referring to. Yeah, it was a short stay. As was Monica Burns' stay was. I think Applebee had something to do with that perhaps.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

UPJ had a starter from Blairsville this year on the women's team.

Recall Tom had her teammate at IUP but she left after her freshman season and went to Lock Haven.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Yeah, they have had some good programs/teams over the years. Heck, I go back to the days of old when it was the Appalachian Conference. I still recall the time the Marion Center girls program went something like 13-14 years (circa 1983-1997) without losing a conference game. That's plain nuts there.

But there have been a number of HC girls programs that have made some waves over the years---Blairsville, West Shamokin, Homer-Center, Marion Center, Penns Manor, Northern Cambria, et al.

Amy Fairman of Marion Center was a PSAC all-star. I'm surprised that more players have not been plucked from the HC ranks to be honest. I guarantee that some of them could easily play in the PSAC if given the opportunity and time to acclimate themselves to the bump up.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

On the local high school gals basketball front--- TWO Heritage Conference teams made the freakin' State Semifinals with both Blairsville and Penns Manor winning tonite. Simply incredible!

Irish Tom should take a good look at PM junior guard Autumn Fennell. She's not big, but she has serious game. I think B-ville has a blue chipper, too, even if I can't recall her name off hand.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

From what I hear, Audrey is highly questionable for Monday -- likely doubtful. If they live to play another day, she could be in the mix.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X