Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Very interesting, I'll keep an eye on that!

On another note, I wonder what the timetable on Vaughns is. Very few minutes, but that could be due to being a true freshman and still learning the college game? Thoughts?

Comment

I kind of agree with what IUPAlum said the other day. I didn't see it earlier in the year but now he seems to have that deer-in-the-headlights look to him. I think earlier on he was just playing. Now, it seems he's walking on egg shells out there.

How do you fix it ... get him more time. The game will slow down the more he plays. But, IUP has been in a slew of really tight battles lately. I think Joe's too nervous to get him chunks in meaningful games right now. I will say he did play more than the listed 1 minute in the Slippery Rock game. That box score is a mess. Watching the game I had him probably in the 6-7 minute range.

He has a lot of upside. He reminds me of a young Daddy Ugbede. This off-season he needs to bulk up a little bit ... maybe get in that 210-220 range by his junior/senior season. We saw early on he can score and he is very dynamic around the basket.

The schedule lightens up a bit coming up. Hopefully the Clarion and Seton Hill games they can get him some more minutes. There's going to come a time this year when they need him in a big moment.

Even Blake has been playing a lighter load lately minute-wise. Hutton, too. One really beneficial thing during this winning streak is Willem is really emerging after a slow November. He's playing cleaner (less fouls) and is without a doubt a presence on both ends (and at the FT line).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        January 10

Seton Hill at Mercyhurst - The Lakers took out the frustrations on a struggling Clarion team last outing. Seton Hill is too sporadic to deal with the Mercyhurst defense. Lake Show -5

Pitt-Johnstown at California - UPJ has dropped three straight but could have won all three. Cal has also played tough in recent losses. Tough call here. UPJ -3

Slippery Rock at Clarion - The Golden Eagles are a mess. Two of its perceived top recruits are no longer playing. The Rock will overwhelm tonight. Rock -17

East Stroudsburg at IUP - ESU may be the deepest team in the PSAC. The 40-minute press is going to be a major challenge for IUP and its short bench. ESU is big, fast and can shoot. IUP is all of those, too. Joe has won the last two meetings and is tough at home. IUP has a proven track record of slowing games down against such opponents. That's a must tonight. IUP -1

Edinboro at Gannon - Big game at the Hammermill. Lot of emotions in this rivalry. The Knights are playing well and are tough in the 'Mill. Edinboro is coming off the heart-breaker to Kutztown. Who controls the pace? The defensive guru John Reilly will frustrate the guard trio. Fighting Scots -4 in a thriller. Huge game for both in the West standings.
        Yup! Should be lot of fun. Boro is the top three point shooting team (40%) in the PSAC. Gannon has the stingiest defense behind the arc (27%). Boro makes 10 threes per game (second in PSAC) and Gannon makes 4 per game (second-to-last in PSAC). It'll likely come down to three-point shooting. If Gannon can make a few shots and hold Edinboro to below its average, the Knights will have a good chance.

And it's 40 degrees in Erie today!!!

Comment

Cal Came back from 23 down in second half to beat Lock Haven last night.

Lock Haven star Amir Hinton went for 47 points in the loss.
          It was a Miracle-on-the-Mon.

Comment

Women's Standings

Cal (10-0, 15-1) W10

IUP (9-0, 14-0) W14

Edinboro (9-1, 13-1) W4

Seton Hill (7-3, 12-4) W3

Slippery Rock (6-4, 8-7) W1

Gannon (4-5, 7-8) L2

Mercyhurst (4-5, 6-9) L2

UPJ (4-6, 7-8) L6

Clarion (2-8, 7-9) L4

Big one Saturday ... IUP at Edinboro.

Bad news: It sounds like IUP backup PG Ana Hollen is lost for the season with an ACL.

Nice article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/h...s/201801120017

National polls:

D2SIDA Media

No. 2 - IUP
            No. 12 - Cal
            No. 21 - Edinboro

WBCA Top 25

No. 3 - IUP
            No. 10 - Cal
            No. 14 - Edinboro

Three teams in the same division ... that's impressive.

Comment

• Comment

My guess would be Clarion.

Perhaps the Gannon ladies.

We'll see what happens Saturday. It appears Edinboro is in for quite a storm.

I think after Duquesne got stuck on the turnpike last year teams are being a little more cautious with travel.

Comment

• Comment

I don't follow the ladies too closely.

Didn't Gannon and Bloom both used to yearly powers?

What happened to the Ship women? They played in the PSAC title game last year and I saw they have one win this year?

In my 'younger' days I'd always hit the Grapevine before the games and hit the KCAC around 715pm ... and miss the women's game.

I guess like many others I have to hop on the bandwagon now.

Comment

• Comment

PSAC West - Men's Standings

IUP (7-2, 11-5) L1

Slippery Rock (7-3, 13-3) W1

Edinboro (7-3, 10-4) L1

Gannon (6-3, 10-5) W6

Mercyhurst (4-5, 7-6) W2

California (4-6, 8-8) W2

UPJ (4-6, 6-8) L4

Seton Hill (2-8, 5-10) L2

Clarion (0-10, 3-13) L5

Comment

Here's today's 'wow' stat:

UPJ has lost its past four games - all in the PSAC West - by a COMBINED 13 points.

The Mountain Cats lost to IUP, Gannon and Edinboro -- by 4 points each, and lost to California by 1 point.

Overall, UPJ also has 3 other losses by 4 points or less.

That's 7 of its 8 losses -- 4 points or less. The lone other defeat was a hard-fought, 99-88 loss to East Stroudsburg.

Wow.

Comment

Here's today's 'wow' stat:

UPJ has lost its past four games - all in the PSAC West - by a COMBINED 13 points.

The Mountain Cats lost to IUP, Gannon and Edinboro -- by 4 points each, And lost to California by one point.

Overall, UPJ also has 3 other losses by 4 points or less.

That's 7 of its 8 losses -- 4 points or less. The lone other defeat was a hard-fought, 99-88 loss to East

Wow.

Comment

Updated Men's Standings

IUP (8-2, 12-5) W1

SRU (8-3, 14-3) W2

Gannon (7-3, 11-5) W7

Edinboro (7-4, 10-5) L2

UPJ (5-6, 7-8) W1

Mercyhurst (4-6, 7-7) L1

California (4-7, 8-9) L1

Seton Hill (3-8, 6-10) W1