Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC WEST

Public projects have so many chefs in the kitchen that they just drag and drag. School projects and transit jobs are about equally as bad (and slow).
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I was able to pull this from Dodge (overview of entire project). I looked at the arena plans. It looks like the major change will be replacing the bleachers (with new bleachers). They are not currently showing the 'horseshoe seating' ... that was likely eliminated as a VE option. The current plans show adding bleachers behind one of the baskets. It looks like some other upgrades in regard to the basketball court area include updating the actual baskets (modern hoops instead of the 1950s ones coming down from the ceiling structure), new scoreboard, floor, etc. The elevation of the 'main' entrance to the building is getting a major (modern) facelift. This is a major project. I'd project it at taking about 2 years once the green light to proceed is given.

1 Building/ 2 Stories above grade / 0 Story below grade / 45,000 Total square ft / Building Frame: Structural Steel
      Additional features: Project consists of extensive renovations to the existing Tippin Gymnasium at Clarion University, built in 1965, and includes a major Addition for a new Natatorium with competition swimming and diving pool. Also included in the Project is a separate Addition to the adjacent Student Recreation Center, built in 1998, to house a new 11,000 SF Recreation Pool. The Project is designed to achieve a LEED Silver level of sustainability, from the US Green Building Council. The Project will include four (4) prime contracts for Construction. THIS IS A BEST VALUE REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS PROJECT. NO FEE FOR PLANS AND SPECS.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        The game will not be canceled. The highways will all be clear! The city roads are rough but that won't effect IUP's trip here!
        I agree. Things are pretty much back to normal now. As long as the players made it back to practice, I don't see how this negatively impacts Gannon. They can all walk to practice. We never lost power. The only day that a lot of things were closed en masse was Tuesday, and I think that that was part of the mandatory off period.

As long as the visiting team and officials can make it in, the game will be played.

Comment

The players are back, they have practiced and their are local PSAC officials they can use if they aren't already assigned the game. All good...

Comment

IUP vs. Gannon is always a good one. Even during this current IUP winning streak the games have all been fairly close.

The other game I'm really interested to see this weekend is the Edinboro at Cal game. I could see both teams being in triple digits. Cal's defense is non-existent. Edinboro's guards should have a field day. But, Cal can score a ton, too, and should have a huge advantage inside. I'd put the over/under for combined points at around 198.

Weekend upset: Seton Hill will beat Slippery Rock in Greensburg. There should be a packed crowd of about 30 people in the stands but I like the match-up for the Griffins. SRU is the mystery team so far despite the 9-2 record -- it played a putrid schedule to this point. Although, I do think SRU is going to be a tough to team to play by mid-Jan.

The lone crossover game this weekend is also interesting. Shippensburg travels to Mercyhurst. The Lakers have played Kutztown (lost by 3) and West Chester (lost by 8) tough - and held West Chester to just 58 points. That's impressive. Mercyhurst has an average 5-4 record but has played a tough schedule. The four losses are by a combined 23 points. Shippensburg is a very tough team to defend. Dustin Sleva is a rare breed in D2. We'll see if the old Triangle and Two can sink the ship.

Comment

What also excites me about the IUP at Gannon doubleheader is the return on holiday basketball to the Hammermill Center. Gannon used to host a monster tournament over the holiday season (Porreco Cup) from the 1960's till 2013. The mandatory break and expanded conference schedules made the tournament impractical. (Gannon also hosts a four-team tourney over Thanksgiving weekend) I have to say it will be really nice to have my Gannon basketball fix back during the holidays -- I really miss it).

How strong was the Porreco Cup? I don't have all the records in front of me, but for a seven-or-so year stretch (1985-1991), one participant in the Porreco Cup, save maybe one, made the Elite Eight (including two national champions), and about half the time that team didn't even win the tournament. It's fitting that we'll have a big game at the Hammermill over the holidays.

In its place, the Gannon / Mercyhurst games are termed the "Porreco Pride of Erie" game. A lot of bricks and turnovers to be proud of.

Comment

Comment

I heard some talk yesterday the game is doubtful at this point due to additional bad weather expected. I think they will officially postpone it today.

They also have to consider getting the team back out of there at 10pm in even worse conditions at night.

There's probably far too many logistics to flip the home games for the teams and play this first one here. Even doing so Gannon still has to be able to get out of Erie (and back).

I'd be shocked if IUP makes the trip. I think President Driscoll makes the call and avoids any danger. They don't need a Duquesne situation with the team stuck on 79 for 24 hours. Those coach buses aren't exactly dynamos in these conditions.
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-29-2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Shippensburg at Mercyhurst ... officially postponed.

Comment

Gannon has no game from February 10-17 and IUP from February 7-14. Monday February 12 seems like a good makeup day that is fair to both. Weathermen have been wrong before so maybe they wait till morning to decide.

Comment

I was told today that the game is on. Is IUP coming in the night before or not until the day of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                          Gannon has no game from February 10-17 and IUP from February 7-14. Monday February 12 seems like a good makeup day that is fair to both. Weathermen have been wrong before so maybe they wait till morning to decide.
                          Agree ... Lake Effect snow is very difficult to predict. The weather isn't that much of anything until you hit I-90.

Comment

In the past they've come up the night before so they are likely already in Erie ... avoiding that bus-lag.

This first game is always interesting ... see who ate too many cookies. I'm expecting something in the 70-63 range.

IUP is actually more built this year to play the slower game. I'm interested to see Phoenix play. He's been in quick foul trouble almost every game against IUP. Cobo is an extremely tough assignment for oppising bigs.

As always ... it will be the IUP Gannon chess match.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              In the past they've come up the night before so they are likely already in Erie ... avoiding that bus-lag.

This first game is always interesting ... see who ate too many cookies. I'm expecting something in the 70-63 range.

IUP is actually more built this year to play the slower game. I'm interested to see Phoenix play. He's been in quick foul trouble almost every game against IUP. Cobo is an extremely tough assignment for oppising bigs.

I hate to tell you this but Phoenix won't guard Cobo. Phoenix will guard Willem when he's on the court.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Just received word that the game is postponed. No makeup date has been set. Bummer.

We're getting pummeled by another heavy snow squall.
                                Last edited by Golden89; 12-30-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X