X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Four dates left.

UPJ at Mercyhurst - This is the big one on the slate. This game not only has major West ramifications, but it's also crucial for both teams' NCAA hopes. The loser is going to be in very muddy waters in the chase for a regional bid. The winner will take control of second place in the West. The first meeting in Johnstown was close. The Lakers escaped with an 8-point win. Both teams took turns making big runs. This is a match-up of two X's and O's masters. Gary Manchel and Bob Rukavina know each other well. However, UPJ hasn't been a good team on the road. And, well, no visitor plays well inside the MAC. UPJ keeps this game close, but, in Erie, Mercyhurst is just a bit too tough. Great-shooting teams go there to die -- and shoot about 30% from the field. Lakers get it done. Mercyhurst -6

Edinboro at IUP - In theory, anyway, the Crimson Hawks' run of tough games is about to take a hiatus. The Fighting Scots, losers of 13 straight, visit the KCAC prior to IUP taking trips to Seton Hill and Clarion. Edinboro's last win this season was on Dec. 21. IUP won the first meeting, 88-53. Anthony Coleman is back, so the Scots should at least put up a better fight. It will also be the KCAC swan song for one of its favorite villains, Trey Staunch. The big fella isn't likely to get a warm send-off. Historically, Joe Lombardi's team have been known to come off tough stretches with a bit of a hangover. That will probably be the case in this affair. Expect Edinboro to hang around for the first half -- and Joe to wake up the troops at halftime. Crimson Hawks pull away, big, in the second half. IUP -21

East Stroudsburg at Mansfield - The first meeting was a total smack-down. The Warriors dropped a 91-54 beating on the Mounties. The location may be different in Round 2, but the result won't be. ESU gets a step closer to a first round bye. Mansfield gets a step closer to ending its misery. Warriors -19

Bloomsburg at Lock Haven - The Huskies aren't dead -- yet. But, things aren't looking good. At 6-13 in conference, Bloomsburg has three teams ahead of it -- all sitting at 8-10. One of those teams is Lock Haven. A win would be a huge step toward that last East spot. A loss ... and they can basically turn in their uniforms. The Bald Eagles are playing well of late -- winners of 3 of their past 4 games. Lock Haven is coming off its best performance of the season in a double OT upset win at Shippensburg. The Bald Eagles won the first meeting by 15 points. The result should be pretty similar in the second meeting, too. Lock Haven -11

Seton Hill at California - The two teams ahead of the Vulcans play each other ... so, one of them is going to lose. California just needs to take care of business in the Angelo Dome -- and it should be pretty easy business to handle. The Vulcans smacked the Griffins a couple weeks ago. The beatings shall continue. Cal wins. Big. Vulcans -19

West Chester at Kutztown - The Golden Bears went from hot to ice cold -- losers of 3 in a row. West Chester has had the second semester from Hell. One of these teams will get a much-needed victory. Picking the winner, though, is no easy task. They both are in train-wreck status. Kutztown won the first meeting pretty easily. Logic would say if you win on the road you should win at home. Of course, there's nothing logical about this West Chester team. Both desperately need a win. Kutztown is in the 8-10 log-jam. West Chester's very faint NCAA hopes are on life support. Flip a coin. Kutztown -2

Millersville at Shepherd - The Rams -- once deemed a deceivingly good team -- have won three straight. The Marauders have lost 3 of their past 4 games. Shepherd won the first one, 73-72. And, Shepherd can't play on the road. With this one in Shepherdstown, the Rams should be the clear favorite. But, who knows with these two squads. Up and down. All year. The Rams shoot the ball much better at home. That's the difference. Shepherd -3

Clarion at Gannon - The Golden Knights have lost two straight games -- both in the final 40 seconds. Clarion is typically a good hangover remedy. But, the Golden Eagles are capable of putting up a fight. Gannon got all it could handle in Tippin Gym a few weeks back before eventually winning, 61-53. Clarion can get a little scrappy and physical right back at you, which offsets some of Gannon's strength. Look for GU to win this game, but for Clarion to hang around for 25-30 minutes. Golden Knights -14

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Haven't seen 18-19 or 19-20 numbers, but in 17-18 Clarion was at 4.91 and Edinboro was at 4.33.
    Tell the volleyball coach to quit stealing the basketball programs money!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Haven't seen 18-19 or 19-20 numbers, but in 17-18 Clarion was at 4.91 and Edinboro was at 4.33.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied
    Well this is weird. What is going on at the Rock?

https://careers.sru.edu/postings/6396
    Is it customary to only have a 3 week window for resume submission, while the season is still in progress? Job posted on Feb17 and resumes for full consideration must be received by Mar 6.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I believe Cleary is under contract for a few more years so it wouldn't make financial sense to make a change. And to be honest, he's got just 4 scholarships for basketball - lowest in the West - plus a crap facility so he's really just playing to par for what he has.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I believe Cleary is under contract for a few more years so it wouldn't make financial sense to make a change. And to be honest, he's got just 4 scholarships for basketball - lowest in the West - plus a crap facility so he's really just playing to par for what he has.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Ian Grady item did bring up an inevitable point as we approach March. Many teams in the league are about to call it quits soon.

So, who could be sitting on that yearly perch known as the hot seat?

Top candidates:

John Sanow / Bloomsburg - Back-to-back dreadful seasons not a good sign for a long-tenured coach

Pat Cleary / Edinboro - One season above .500 in past 5 years

Bobby McGraw / Slippery Rock (women's) - His record speaks for itself

Top candidates to move up a level (if interested):

Danny Sancomb - He's younger than you realize. He wanted the Youngstown State job a couple years ago. His lightning fast turnaround at Cal surely isn't going unnoticed.

Chris Fite - He has the perfect resume for a mid-major program -- professional playing career mixed with an incredible rebuild of a pretty dreadful program.

Coach Fite certainly seems to be planning on spending the next season at Ship. He's very active on the recruiting trail right now.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The Ian Grady item did bring up an inevitable point as we approach March. Many teams in the league are about to call it quits soon.

So, who could be sitting on that yearly perch known as the hot seat?

Top candidates:

John Sanow / Bloomsburg - Back-to-back dreadful seasons not a good sign for a long-tenured coach

Pat Cleary / Edinboro - One season above .500 in past 5 years

Bobby McGraw / Slippery Rock (women's) - His record speaks for itself

Top candidates to move up a level (if interested):

Danny Sancomb - He's younger than you realize. He wanted the Youngstown State job a couple years ago. His lightning fast turnaround at Cal surely isn't going unnoticed.

Chris Fite - He has the perfect resume for a mid-major program -- professional playing career mixed with an incredible rebuild of a pretty dreadful program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Updated Women's Standings
    WEST PSAC OVERALL STREAK
    IUP* 17-1 22-2 W1
    Gannon* 15-4 19-6 L1
    Edinboro* 12-6 14-8 W2
    California 11-7 17-7 L1
    UPJ 9-10 14-11 W1
    Seton Hill 7-11 13-11 L1
    Mercyhurst 7-11 7-17 L1
    Slippery Rock 6-13 8-17 W2
    Clarion 2-17 4-21 L4
    EAST PSAC OVERALL STREAK
    Shippensburg* 15-4 18-7 W5
    Shepherd* 12-6 18-6 L1
    East Stroudsburg* 12-6 16-8 W2
    Kutztown* 12-6 15-9 W1
    Bloomsburg 9-10 12-11 W2
    Lock Haven 8-10 11-12 L2
    West Chester 6-12 8-15 L3
    Millersville 5-14 8-16 W1
    Mansfield 1-18 3-22 L14

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied

I came back on here to share that. I ran it by someone and that's what they guessed. Without an announcement its probably safe to assume as much. Kinda like periodic posting of high school coaching positions.
    I thought he was only named him interim coach and then they gave him a full year. So it could just be procedural because after a termination or resignation, a job has to be posted. So this would be the posting after Reynolds (since they never did).

Also very well could be Rock wanting to bait the line and see if anything better bites.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Beats me.

FS82: Is this one of those 'procedural' things where they have to open the job in his contract year? If memory serves me correctly they only gave him a one-year deal when they lifted the interim tag mid-way last season.

If it's not just a procedural item and he really is gone ... that's shocking. No idea what happens behind closed doors but, man, they seemed to have a whole new (positive) identity under Grady. I always questioned how you could just fire KR for a laundry list of items yet his long-time assistant was given a free pass?

I know they are having a pretty down (.500 type) season, but you'd surely expect he'd get at least two years.

As for candidates ... who knows. SRU is a nice job. The facilities are kind of blah but it's a nice town, growing enrollment, etc.

And, before IUP24 starts the campaign, ... #FREEKEVINREYNOLDS is not coming back. LOL.

Here's a candidate: John Reilly (that would be fantastic ... a great hire)
    I came back on here to share that. I ran it by someone and that's what they guessed. Without an announcement its probably safe to assume as much. Kinda like periodic posting of high school coaching positions.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    I've heard that Butler County Correctional has a decent rec team. Maybe they can give that guy a call?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    There's only one guy for this job... #FreeKevinReynolds

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Candidates, please ?
    Beats me.

FS82: Is this one of those 'procedural' things where they have to open the job in his contract year? If memory serves me correctly they only gave him a one-year deal when they lifted the interim tag mid-way last season.

If it's not just a procedural item and he really is gone ... that's shocking. No idea what happens behind closed doors but, man, they seemed to have a whole new (positive) identity under Grady. I always questioned how you could just fire KR for a laundry list of items yet his long-time assistant was given a free pass?

I know they are having a pretty down (.500 type) season, but you'd surely expect he'd get at least two years.

As for candidates ... who knows. SRU is a nice job. The facilities are kind of blah but it's a nice town, growing enrollment, etc.

And, before IUP24 starts the campaign, ... #FREEKEVINREYNOLDS is not coming back. LOL.

Here's a candidate: John Reilly (that would be fantastic ... a great hire)

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Candidates, please ?
    Probably isn't gonna work to #FreeKevinReynolds this time.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X