• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC Women's Basketball (18-19)

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP ladies up 20 at half.

Gannon women blowing out Edinboro.
    It was indeed surprising that Gannon ladies won at Edinboro, but absolutely shocking that they won by 14 - dominating most of the game. Didn't get to see the game (only made it for the men's), but those in attendance said that LaCava and McKinney really dominated the game and Edinboro was listless and couldn't shoot straight. First win by the Lady Knights at McComb since 2010 (the year they went 37-1 and made the Final Four).

Comment

IUP ladies up 20 at half.

Gannon women blowing out Edinboro.

Comment

I think that is a conventional line of thought to be honest. But historically speaking, the smart money is likely on the IUP WBB tripping up here and at best coming in ranked second in the region. Cal traditionally has given IUP fits and has likely cost them more than one chance to host a region. The IUP gals also seem to usually drop at least one game to a lesser team. As BigIndians shows us with his regional records----the margin for error is extremely thin. I'm not so sure if I like their chances to host the region. But it would really be a great thing for the community and campus if they were able to do so.

-

Comment

I don't think that can be said just yet being they haven't played Cal or Edinboro yet. They get both at home this week which means they'll play the rematches in McComb and the Angelo Dome in February. I'd hold off on booking the regional until those four games have been played. Add to it they still have a dangerous Seton Hill twice. Tom's team is facing the opposite of what Joe's team went through. Joe's first half was incredibly difficult but eases up going forward (with a couple exceptions). All of the IUP ladies' difficult games lie ahead. The ladies played a very weak non-conference schedule and the East teams they played -- only one is above .500.

Edinboro likely isn't a threat to host as they already have four losses but they will pose some match-up problems (and they gave Cal their only loss). Today is really IUP's first test of the season. We don't talk about the women's game a whole lot on here but you wouldn't want to see IUP's strength of schedule right now. It's awful.

There are several other one-loss teams in the region right on IUP's tail. Luckily Cal, Edinboro and Seton Hill will give them a boost in categories such as SOS, etc., in the event of tie-breakers down the road.

They will have their hands full today. Edinboro is one of the few teams they'll see all year who can match up with them size-wise and depth-wise. They also have some nice shooters and slashers/defenders.

Don't get me wrong, IUP is real good. They are deep, big, talented and experienced. They have three true freshmen on the bench -- all of which would start for probably 90 percent of the PSAC (right now). Carolyn Appleby is likely the best point guard in the country. They've just overwhelmed everybody they've played so far. Let's see how they do today and Wednesday. Go 2-0 this week and that regional talk starts to get a little more real.

Comment

I don't think that can be said just yet being they haven't played Cal or Edinboro yet. They get both at home this week which means they'll play the rematches in McComb and the Angelo Dome in February. I'd hold off on booking the regional until those four games have been played. Add to it they still have a dangerous Seton Hill twice. Tom's team is facing the opposite of what Joe's team went through. Joe's first half was incredibly difficult but eases up going forward (with a couple exceptions). All of the IUP ladies' difficult games lie ahead. The ladies played a very weak non-conference schedule and the East teams they played -- only one is above .500.

Edinboro likely isn't a threat to host as they already have four losses but they will pose some match-up problems (and they gave Cal their only loss). Today is really IUP's first test of the season. We don't talk about the women's game a whole lot on here but you wouldn't want to see IUP's strength of schedule right now. It's awful.

There are several other one-loss teams in the region right on IUP's tail. Luckily Cal, Edinboro and Seton Hill will give them a boost in categories such as SOS, etc., in the event of tie-breakers down the road.

They will have their hands full today. Edinboro is one of the few teams they'll see all year who can match up with them size-wise and depth-wise. They also have some nice shooters and slashers/defenders.

Don't get me wrong, IUP is real good. They are deep, big, talented and experienced. They have three true freshmen on the bench -- all of which would start for probably 90 percent of the PSAC (right now). Carolyn Appleby is likely the best point guard in the country. They've just overwhelmed everybody they've played so far. Let's see how they do today and Wednesday. Go 2-0 this week and that regional talk starts to get a little more real.
            This could be a game where IUP misses Maura D'Anna. The depth inside is where they lack a little right now. Going to be two real tests finally this week.

Remember when I was calling out Appleby last year for playing out of control? Since then she's really stuck it to me and changed her game. She controls the game now and can really score! You are right, she might be one of the top D2 PG's.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              I think that is a conventional line of thought to be honest. But historically speaking, the smart money is likely on the IUP WBB tripping up here and at best coming in ranked second in the region. Cal traditionally has given IUP fits and has likely cost them more than one chance to host a region. The IUP gals also seem to usually drop at least one game to a lesser team. As BigIndians shows us with his regional records----the margin for error is extremely thin. I'm not so sure if I like their chances to host the region. But it would really be a great thing for the community and campus if they were able to do so.

-
              Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              This could be a game where IUP misses Maura D'Anna. The depth inside is where they lack a little right now. Going to be two real tests finally this week.

Remember when I was calling out Appleby last year for playing out of control? Since then she's really stuck it to me and changed her game. She controls the game now and can really score! You are right, she might be one of the top D2 PG's.
              Quite a first quarter. IUP up 31-15 with treys raining.

Guys on the feed have already called the fire department 3 times. Lol.

Comment

Quite a first quarter. IUP up 31-15 with treys raining.

Guys on the feed have already called the fire department 3 times. Lol.
                But let's wait and see how they do on Wednesday night against Cal. I don't think anyone should be drinking their kool-aid until you see what they do against the Vulcans. I've seen the movie too many times.

-

Comment

-
                  But let's wait and see how they do on Wednesday night against Cal. I don't think anyone should be drinking their kool-aid until you see what they do against the Vulcans. I've seen the movie too many times.

-
                  They have blown Cal out the past two meetings (by 30 and 25).

Comment

They have blown Cal out the past two meetings (by 30 and 25).
                    Okay, I understand that. But I experienced years of this sort of thing. And to be honest--- it was one of the reasons why I dropped my support of their program. It got pretty hard to take.

-

Comment

Okay, I understand that. But I experienced years of this sort of thing. And to be honest--- it was one of the reasons why I dropped my support of their program. It got pretty hard to take.

-
                      A true fan doesn't drop support!

Comment

-

Comment

The beating the IUP ladies put on Edinboro last night was one of the more impressive games I've seen (men or women) in a long time. It wasn't anywhere near 'as close' as the 97-73 final score. Unlike the IUP men's team, Tom likes to rest his starters early in blowouts. That was a previously 10-4 Fighting Scots team who has traditionally given IUP some fits. They were never in the game and looked very ill-prepared to face the barrage of IUP's outside shooting.

Lauren Wolosik, typically not a big scorer, went for 33 points, 10 assists (against 1 TO), 4 steals, 3 boards and a block -- on 14-of-18 field goals and 5-of-9 treys. That has to be one of the best stat lines for any IUP player in a long, long time.

Wolosik becoming a scorer really changes their whole outlook -- and makes them nearly impossible to defend. Like any team, they can be beat -- but you'll have to score a lot to do it. Consider their average margin of victory so far this season is 31.6 points. That's insane. Defensively, they are limiting teams to just 51.2 ppg.

This Cal game is getting a lot of hype -- deservedly so. Keep in mind this is just Round 1 between these two. It's very likely they will play 2-3 more times this year -- the odds of them running in to each other in both the PSAC Tournament and the Atlantic Region are pretty good. These first two meetings, however, may very well determine the venue for the latter get-together in March.

Comment

The beating the IUP ladies put on Edinboro last night was one of the more impressive games I've seen (men or women) in a long time. It wasn't anywhere near 'as close' as the 97-73 final score. Unlike the IUP men's team, Tom likes to rest his starters early in blowouts. That was a previously 10-4 Fighting Scots team who has traditionally given IUP some fits. They were never in the game and looked very ill-prepared to face the barrage of IUP's outside shooting.

Lauren Wolosik, typically not a big scorer, went for 33 points, 10 assists (against 1 TO), 4 steals, 3 boards and a block -- on 14-of-18 field goals and 5-of-9 treys. That has to be one of the best stat lines for any IUP player in a long, long time.

Wolosik becoming a scorer really changes their whole outlook -- and makes them nearly impossible to defend. Like any team, they can be beat -- but you'll have to score a lot to do it. Consider their average margin of victory so far this season is 31.6 points. That's insane. Defensively, they are limiting teams to just 51.2 ppg.

This Cal game is getting a lot of hype -- deservedly so. Keep in mind this is just Round 1 between these two. It's very likely they will play 2-3 more times this year -- the odds of them running in to each other in both the PSAC Tournament and the Atlantic Region are pretty good. These first two meetings, however, may very well determine the venue for the latter get-together in March.
                            Honestly this version of VULCANS WBB is not nearly as good as their record indicates. There is no consistent scorer beyond BARRETT. I don't know where MIA CUSHON went or why she left CAL but she would have been a great compliment to SEAIRRA. Earlier this year I thought JS was playing her freshmen to give them experience, but now it looks like they are simply better than the veterans. But they are still young and haven't faced a team as talented and deep as the C'HAWKS. Add to that the fact that this team rarely gets off to a quick start and my expectations for Wednesday evening are not high. I'll be happy if they stay inside 20 pts down. Time will tell.

Comment

Comment

NO! Keep the girls game at the same time for continuity. Making it two hours later changes their routine. Yes, down the road game times change but don't inflict the change to yourself. The girls are used to playing first. Keep it that way.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X