Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

A former 4-star recruit at that. Wait until he sees how many people come out for that Thursday night game against Wisconsin Green Bay. LSU averages 9300 and change - RMU 1100 and change. Toole will be lucky to still have him on the team in March.
    Tomiwa is going to experience something similar although not that drastic.

How does an SEC player, former 4-star, end up in truly the bush league destination of D1?

Aside from basketball, imagine the culture shock of campus life.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tomiwa is going to experience something similar although not that drastic.

How does an SEC player, former 4-star, end up in truly the bush league destination of D1?

Aside from basketball, imagine the culture shock of campus life.
      Well, our football team has a guy that was a four-star recruit for Boston College, an ACC school, and it's not even certain he'll start at Ship this year. And it's not like we've been the elite of the PSAC in football the last few years. Some players are overlooked. Some are overrated. Sometimes they just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. And with open transfers and NIL I think we're going to see more of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, our football team has a guy that was a four-star recruit for Boston College, an ACC school, and it's not even certain he'll start at Ship this year. And it's not like we've been the elite of the PSAC in football the last few years. Some players are overlooked. Some are overrated. Sometimes they just end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. And with open transfers and NIL I think we're going to see more of it.
        Football is a little different in my opinion. A lot of guys use the grad transfer to play one more season for fun and are willing to drop down. I don't recall really seeing that in basketball.

Comment

Football is a little different in my opinion. A lot of guys use the grad transfer to play one more season for fun and are willing to drop down. I don't recall really seeing that in basketball.
          Perhaps so, but it still is an example of how a highly recruited guy can take a dip from a high-profile football conference to D2. I also think basketball is a little easier to rate than football as individual skills tend to be more apparent with only five guys on the court at a time. That's just my opinion.

Comment

I remember him from last year (barely). He checks all the boxes size, athletically and arm-wise.

What seems to be the issue? Accuracy?

Comment

Perhaps so, but it still is an example of how a highly recruited guy can take a dip from a high-profile football conference to D2. I also think basketball is a little easier to rate than football as individual skills tend to be more apparent with only five guys on the court at a time. That's just my opinion.
              Very true. I imagine he had a connection. Its hard to fall that far without other options along the way. 10ish years ago Edinboro picked up a RB from Notre Dame. There was some sort of connection that got him there.

Comment

Very true. I imagine he had a connection. Its hard to fall that far without other options along the way. 10ish years ago Edinboro picked up a RB from Notre Dame. There was some sort of connection that got him there.

I remember back in 'our day' we used to see these transfers from big-name schools quite frequently -- usually in football.

IUP men's basketball was loaded with D1 transfers in the Gary Edwards era. They weren't from major programs, however (with Dennis Mimms being an exception). I remember one year his entire 8-man rotation was all D1 transfers.

Those were some exciting teams -- on the court and off. Edwards wasn't looking for choir boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I remember back in 'our day' we used to see these transfers from big-name schools quite frequently -- usually in football.

IUP men's basketball was loaded with D1 transfers in the Gary Edwards era. They weren't from major programs, however (with Dennis Mimms being an exception). I remember one year his entire 8-man rotation was all D1 transfers.

Those were some exciting teams -- on the court and off. Edwards wasn't looking for choir boys.
                  That's back in the internet is for information and shopping days when guys could get away with a lot of stupid stuff (or it wouldn't really get out). LOVED giving Gary a hard time when he came to Edinboro.

Comment

That's back in the internet is for information and shopping days when guys could get away with a lot of stupid stuff (or it wouldn't really get out). LOVED giving Gary a hard time when he came to Edinboro.
                    He should be in the IUP Hall of Fame. He got a raw deal here at the end and was eventually exonerated by the NCAA.

He wasn't perfect. That program wasn't 100 percent clean. But, a lot of the ending was a Witch Hunt.

Comment

• Puff Johnson transferring to Penn State.

WPIAL star Royce Parham to Marquette.

Comment

Ship has gotten RB transfers on occasion from schools such as Syracuse and Penn State. It happens. Usually they find out they're a step slow for a top-level D1 team, but have the goods to be an above-average D2 back.

Comment

• Dick Groat passed away early this morning at age 92. He was an 8 time MLB All Star, 1960 NL MVP and two time World Series Champion with the Pirates. But he might have been a better basketball player as he put Duke on the map in the early 50s and was the 3rd pick in the 1952 NBA draft before eventually choosing baseball because the pay was better. Most recently he was the color analyst for Pitt basketball radio broadcasts for 40 seasons, calling games until he was nearly 90. Quite a life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            Dick Groat passed away early this morning at age 92. He was an 8 time MLB All Star, 1960 NL MVP and two time World Series Champion with the Pirates. But he might have been a better basketball player as he put Duke on the map in the early 50s and was the 3rd pick in the 1952 NBA draft before eventually choosing baseball because the pay was better. Most recently he was the color analyst for Pitt basketball radio broadcasts for 40 seasons, calling games until he was nearly 90. Quite a life.
                            Also owned a really nice golf course in the Laurel Highlands. Signed by the Pirates while still a college student then was the #3 overall pick in the NBA draft. Played a season in both leagues, took 2 years off to fulfill military service, then went back to playing baseball. Unreal.

Comment

• Rich get richer on the women's side.

Louisville star Hailey Van Lith has transferred to national champion LSU.

Comment

• There may be an opening in Morgantown as early as tomorrow.

Hard to see how Huggins survives this incident.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X