Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Region

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    This is why I still feel cheated that we never got to see a Reilly / Crutchfield matchup in the NCAA tournament. It would have been the ultimate clash in styles. It was usually Gannon that did the losing that never made this a reality.
    The last year IUP won the regional was the year Gannon got upset in Round 1. Gannon had beat IUP 2 of 3 that year prior to the tournament. Had a GU vs WL game happened that year it would have been interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Ahhh...The old "violating the sanctity of the game" argument. Weather we want them to or not, sports change over time and there is always a group of old "purists" who resist. While some may miss:

Two hand set shots,
      No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping or striking in any way,
      Disqualification of a player after two fouls until the other team scores,
      Underhand free throws,
      No dribbling,
      Made baskets counting one point,
      etc...

I don't and I'd venture to say that most basketball fans don't either.

I'm sure if there had been such thing as the internet and message boards "back in the day", there would have been a group of people criticizing teams that employed new fangled tactics, and how the rule changes negatively effected the purity of the game. Contrary to what these crumogines said, fans and players adapted and the game was better for it. I mean, imagine the game without dribbling, jump shots and the 3 point line! These and more are changes from how basketball was originally played...players and fans adapted to these changes and now they are integral to what we think of as basketball.

While traveling is different in the NBA than it is in college, I would venture to bet that even in college they aren't calling traveling nearly as tightly as they did back in the days that some are harkening back to as "how basketball should be played."

Comment

Comment

Lol. I should issue a geek alert before I post! Lol

Comment

Just a laymans opinion, but I'd think that strategies and tactics would be different at each "level." For example, trading 3's for 2's might be a valid strategy and tactic for the NBA and college but when you get to the HS level were shooting ability might be a little lower, it might flip to a losing tactic. I would also think that team makeup would play a big part in the effectiveness of a particular strategy or tactic I.E. A specific game theory might say with 5 seconds left trailing by 1 with the ball at half court, throw the ball into your center for a dunk...buuuuttttt...if your "center" is 6'2" and his defender is 6'8" and he's been blocking everything that comes near the hoop all night, your personnel might dictate an approach that runs counter to what game theory says.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              Lol. I should issue a geek alert before I post! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Just a laymans opinion, but I'd think that strategies and tactics would be different at each "level." For example, trading 3's for 2's might be a valid strategy and tactic for the NBA and college but when you get to the HS level were shooting ability might be a little lower, it might flip to a losing tactic. I would also think that team makeup would play a big part in the effectiveness of a particular strategy or tactic I.E. A specific game theory might say with 5 seconds left trailing by 1 with the ball at half court, throw the ball into your center for a dunk...buuuuttttt...if your "center" is 6'2" and his defender is 6'8" and he's been blocking everything that comes near the hoop all night, your personnel might dictate an approach that runs counter to what game theory says.
                Very good and valid points. Game theory might say take high percentage shots and maximize chance for offensive rebound. As you illustrated very well, the definition of what constitutes a high percentage shot depends on opponent and shooting skills of your team. A layup against sags kinate is not a high percentage shot lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  No doubt. The college game is terrible. These freshmen teams winning titles would have got blown out of the building by Patrick Ewing's Georgetown teams. The Duke teams with Hurley, Laetner and Grant Hill would have crushed today's top teams.

Imagine Phi Slamma Jamma playing this year's Kentucky. They'd win by 35 points. The big UNLV teams versus today's North Carolina? Thirty points. Easily.

But, yes, March Madness is reaping the benefits. You get a loaded up mid-Major full of juniors and seniors playing kids who attended the prom 8 months earlier ... anything can happen.
                  If by "anything can happen" you mean an unexpected team gets to the ELITE EIGHT or even the FINAL FOUR, then yes it can. If you mean that an unexpected team can win it all then no anything CAN'T happen. In D1 MBB over the last twenty years just 5 teams have won 14 with the remaining 6 also semi-pro teams. Even worse in D1 WBB with 4 teams winning 16 plus 4 others. Odd contrast to D2 MBB or WBB where each has had a mere 2 repeat champions and truly anything can and does happen each year. While I look in on a D1 game every now and then to see a particular team, player or coach, the ultimate results are rarely if ever in question.
                  The biggest problem I have with the NBA is not unique to BB. BIG salaries mean BIG advertising $$$ and that means unreal numbers of commercials. This absolutely kills the flow of all sports. If you think back on great PRO FB or BB teams of the past, their most potent weapon was gaining momentum and crushing their opponent because they couldn't get a break to adjust. Now between media TO and team TO this sort of overwhelming performance is rather rare and I miss it. Only need to watch OT PLAYOFF hockey to appreciate how much is lost to breaks in the action.

Comment

I can tell you five minutes in (Mercyhurst 12, Shippensburg 6), today's the day Ship better hope the threes fall.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      I can tell you five minutes in (Mercyhurst 12, Shippensburg 6), today's the day Ship better hope the threes fall.
                      Today was the day the 3's didn't fall for the Hurst.

Comment

Ship played some suffocating perimeter defense there. Not too many open looks for Hurst. They sure fought their way back into it, though.

I honestly believe Mercyhurst and IUP are pretty darn close, to the point that home-court advantage would push the edge in opposite directions. I think you can throw a blanket over IUP, Mercyhurst, Ship and East Strouds.

Comment

• Comment

hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Ship played some suffocating perimeter defense there. Not too many open looks for Hurst. They sure fought their way back into it, though.

I honestly believe Mercyhurst and IUP are pretty darn close, to the point that home-court advantage would push the edge in opposite directions. I think you can throw a blanket over IUP, Mercyhurst, Ship and East Strouds.
                              Don't count out SRU and WCU.

SRU had a ton of crap to deal with but has a lot of talent. They seem to have finally found themselves.

WCU had a terrible start but has some real talent. They won't be an easy out. Millersville is also tough along with UPJ.

Even Kutztown on the right night is very dangerous.

Comment

Pratapas only played 3 minutes for Mercyhurst yesterday. Hurt?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X