• Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

The one that got away.

https://www.cdhraiders.org/news_arti...L9_p5xwwXC0JjI

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
      Sheesh. Western Illinois is not only a truly awful basketball program, but an athletic department in shambles. ELITE nickname though. Godspeed, Jaeden

Comment

Eh, it's at least less of a bummer when he's going D1. The bigger frustration will be when he transfers to Mankato in 2 years and averages 16 a game for the Mavs.

But hopefully the Vikes will be so solid with these talented South Dakota kids that it won't even be a concern. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
          Eh, it's at least less of a bummer when he's going D1. The bigger frustration will be when he transfers to Mankato in 2 years and averages 16 a game for the Mavs.

But hopefully the Vikes will be so solid with these talented South Dakota kids that it won't even be a concern. :)
          Um... it'll be 3 years. We don't want em unless they are a one-and-done. *eye-roll*

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
            Sheesh. Western Illinois is not only a truly awful basketball program, but an athletic department in shambles. ELITE nickname though. Godspeed, Jaeden
            It's a rare kid who opts for D2 when a D1 school dangles a scholarship under his nose. Even when the offeror has a crappy program with little fan support and virtually zero chance of playing beyond the regular season. Entirely an ego thing I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              It's a rare kid who opts for D2 when a D1 school dangles a scholarship under his nose. Even when the offeror has a crappy program with little fan support and virtually zero chance of playing beyond the regular season. Entirely an ego thing I suspect.
              Not faulting the kid for his decision or the reasons, just stings a little more when it happens to be Macomb, Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
                Not faulting the kid for his decision or the reasons, just stings a little more when it happens to be Macomb, Illinois.
                In my mind it's more that he committed to Augie (https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/stat...69027642871809), then de-committed. It's one thing to be considering a D2, get a D1 offer and take it. It's another thing to (seemingly) excitedly commit to a school and then back out of it a few months later when something "better" comes along.

Not that he doesn't have the right to do that (it's not like he had signed an LOI or anything), just that it's more frustrating as a fan of the team that got the shaft. But, like I said, at least he decommitted to go D1 and not to attend a rival NSIC school or MIAA school.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                  In my mind it's more that he committed to Augie (https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/stat...69027642871809), then de-committed. It's one thing to be considering a D2, get a D1 offer and take it. It's another thing to (seemingly) excitedly commit to a school and then back out of it a few months later when something "better" comes along.

Not that he doesn't have the right to do that (it's not like he had signed an LOI or anything), just that it's more frustrating as a fan of the team that got the shaft. But, like I said, at least he decommitted to go D1 and not to attend a rival NSIC school or MIAA school.
                  Same thing for us with Bergan last year.

Comment

I see John Warren is taking Nolen Gerald with him to Slippery Rock. I don't recall Nolen Gerald as being a contributor. Is that any kind of a loss?

Comment

I see John Warren is taking Nolen Gerald with him to Slippery Rock. I don't recall Nolen Gerald as being a contributor. Is that any kind of a loss?
                      No, it creates additional minutes the young wings can get by subtracting someone who wasnt a part of future championship squads. Godspeed Nolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                        No, it creates additional minutes the young wings can get by subtracting someone who wasnt a part of future championship squads. Godspeed Nolen.
                        I like the way you subtlely slipped that in there. :)
                        Last edited by simple as a $3 bill; 10-19-2018, 07:45 AM. Reason: Fix spelling.

Comment

I like the way you subtlely slipped that in there. :)
                          Mighty brassy trolling those D1's.

Comment

Just saw that Augie will be bringing back "Basketball Madness" this year on Thursday (Oct. 25th). Should be a fun night. For those who can't attend, Midco will also be broadcasting it, which I think is random but kind of cool: https://goaugie.com/news/2018/10/12/...ctober-25.aspx

Comment

I took in the sights and sounds at Augustana's very own "Basketball Madness" and here is what I saw:

-Levi Jansen (rest) and Matt Cartwright (bumps and bruises) did not play. However the chatter about Levi's eventual return to the lineup continues to build.

-Tyler Riemersma is going to be an impact player immediately. His gangly frame and leaping ability will be advantageous on both ends of the court AND he showed a smooth shooting stroke.

-AJ Plitzuweit played after missing several weeks with an illness, he didnt have much of an impact on the 10 minute scrimmage

-Michael Schaefer can get buckets from all three levels on the court, plus he's left handed which defenders tend to forget at least once a game. Just a shame the 2019 National Champion Huskies couldnt keep him in town.

-Adam Dykman has refined his game and looks considerably more comfortable in his role than last season. His first dunk in the dunk contest caused me to question everything I thought I knew about gravity.

-Jameson Bryan did several useful things during this scrimmage, a point guards point guard who also looks more sure of himself than last year.

-Right now there is not a discernable difference between starters and bench players. That creates more depth than Texas Tom has had in a while but at the same time they may struggle to match the talent level of veteran teams. Billeter was telling anyone who would listen that this team is going to be REALLY good in a few years. He hasnt had to use his salesmen gene for several seasons so it's good to have that back in our lives.
                              Last edited by Augieholic; 10-26-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

-Michael Schaefer can get buckets from all three levels on the court, plus he's left handed which defenders tend to forget at least once a game. Just a shame the 2019 National Champion Huskies couldnt keep him in town.
                                The word is that he really wanted to play at the Div 1 level and he knew this would be his best route.

-Right now there is not a discernable difference between starters and bench players. That creates more depth than Texas Tom has had in a while but at the same time they may struggle to match the talent level of veteran teams. Billeter was telling anyone who would listen that this team is going to be REALLY good in a few years. He hasnt had to use his salesmen gene for several seasons so it's good to have that back in our lives.
                                So they should all be very ready when the jump to Div I is made.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X