Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Justin Miller did not want to go to KWC. Instead he wanted to go face first class teams and play for a top D1 school. He winds up playing (maybe) for Detroit a 11 and 20 power house.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
      Justin Miller did not want to go to KWC. Instead he wanted to go face first class teams and play for a top D1 school. He winds up playing (maybe) for Detroit a 11 and 20 power house.
      I saw that as well. To be honest, I'm not sure he'd have the academics to make it at KWC anyway, at least not under the new regime.

Comment

I'm not sure grades were the issue. Other things I think. Detroit is a great place to stay out of trouble.

Comment

Looking at HS tapes I believe the four new signees may be better than any returning player. Goetz may be the exception and he will get even better with additions and improvements of others.

Comment

That's what we want to see, right?! I'm am hoping there is quite a bit of development of returning players. I'm especially interested to see Nick Fort's growth. I still believe he can be a great player in Drew's system. And I think Tarik will turn into a great point guard with good floor presence.

Comment

I think PG is where we are weak. We are loaded with 2 guards but not PGs. I think Batlaile could be a good scoring PG. Even as a high scoring shooting guard he was pass first many times.

I do think returning players will be much improved. I wonder what many are doing this summer. Coop does need to let them play. I think he learned ,at Bell, to sometimes pull them too soon.

Comment

Looking forward to hopefully seeing a schedule release soon. Anyone have an idea when it may drop? If i remember correctly it came out late last year (I'm thinking around August), but Cooper wasn't in the role until almost April right? I've seen a couple other GMAC schools drop theirs recently, so hoping to see ours soon. I hope the Bellarmine game continues, especially as they transition. It could turn into one of the D1 exhibitions and would still draw a lot of local interest. I expect there will be an exhibition against Xavier again, which is great for the boys in experience and growth. Also interested in the Thanksgiving tourney. With last year's poor showing by KWC, I hope it continues and they have the opportunity to provide a much better outcome this season.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
                  Looking forward to hopefully seeing a schedule release soon. Anyone have an idea when it may drop? If i remember correctly it came out late last year (I'm thinking around August), but Cooper wasn't in the role until almost April right? I've seen a couple other GMAC schools drop theirs recently, so hoping to see ours soon. I hope the Bellarmine game continues, especially as they transition. It could turn into one of the D1 exhibitions and would still draw a lot of local interest. I expect there will be an exhibition against Xavier again, which is great for the boys in experience and growth. Also interested in the Thanksgiving tourney. With last year's poor showing by KWC, I hope it continues and they have the opportunity to provide a much better outcome this season.
                  I'm wondering if they plan to release the schedule in concert with the basketball alumni weekend events in late July

Comment

Verbal Commits shows Amandas Urkis as having transferred to Lewis & Clark Community College. That's two known transfers and with the announced signees and the others that graduated the roster currently stands at 16

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                      Verbal Commits shows Amandas Urkis as having transferred to Lewis & Clark Community College. That's two known transfers and with the announced signees and the others that graduated the roster currently stands at 16
                      Seaton has also left program

Comment

I'm not sure why I feel bad about losing players from a 10 win team but I do.

We had 8/9 players that could have helped get wins but so often only 1 or 2 showed up in any one game. It was hard to know who to give minutes to.

Comment

I'm right there with ya. I don't mind losing Urkis as much, but I thought Seaton could be a good contributor in years to come. I think you have that lack of production when you play a lot of Freshmen infrequently. I don't blame Cooper for trying to find the combos that worked best, but a kid playing two games in a row, then sitting 5, then playing 1 makes it awfully tough to develop a rhythm.

Just thinking over who I believe to be on the roster at this point, we could legitimately have a 9 man rotation this year that will consistently play quality ball.

Comment

fan you are right on point. Cooper says he wants to sign two more. Still looking for another big.

I think Coopers coaching starting showing up late last year. A year (summer) with the players will do wonders I hope.

Comment

I feel the same though I also think it was pretty much expected that some of the freshmen would leave. We had such an imbalance of classes (1 sr, 6 jr, 1 so, 6 fr) that if we were going to get to a more stable roster year over year (i.e. not losing 6 one year and 1 the next and so on) then there was kind of going to HAVE to be some restructuring, either through redshirts or replacements.

Comment

Dr. Gene Tice was named Interim President of Kentucky Wesleyan College in May 2019. This has been noted before, but Dr. Tice has a lot of experience. One thing I want to say is that President Darrelll will still be the President Emeritus. So, that means the Interim President will rely on him for a lot of information. The Board of Trustees loves President Darrell. In theory they could withdraw that status from what I have read, but they never will. What President Darrell did was really overhaul the facilities at KWC. I didn't give him enough credit for that. That college looks so much different than the one I attended. Cock roaches were so bad in Kendall Hall my freshmen year that I had to catch at least 100 in a trap to show Dean Gorrell. He was a wonderful man, and he did everything he could to spray the dorms, but they were just so old and yucky. Looking back I don't think the students thought much about it, because at that time there were around 1,100 students and the four dorms were packed. The Student Union Building then is now a dorm. So, KWC has five dorms now and they all are 10 times better than what we had back in the Fourth Century.

The Men's Basketball Team was housed on the 2nd Floor of Kendall Hall. I would not call their digs then a palace, but that floor was definitely cleaner and more spacious than the others, LOL! I can remember them coming into the dorm after an away game early in the morning and Rod Drake would always be telling Dwight Higgs to get the door. LOL! They had a heck of a team under Pollio then. Those were the days when the Sportscenter sometimes had close to 6,000 people for some games, and that is no joke. I remember the student sections were so crowded we all had to stand. Students actually went to games then, and the Pep Band was Fantastic. I wonder if the team this year will win more than 10 games. I have heard some rumors. We'll see.
                                Last edited by alumnifan; 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X