Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Coach Drew Cooper looks to be replacing most of his team with new recruits for this upcoming 2019/2020 season. You can see all the recruits @

LINK: https://kwcpanthers.com/index.aspx

You can navigate to Men's basketball and see his new recruits. He is adding some size. I am really not sure if he is recruiting a center. I sort of have a feeling his recruiting is not over yet.

Comment

I think he is building (stockpiling) for the future. If things work out some extra years will come.

Comment

Yeah I don't think he's "replacing most of his team" as I think he had some unfilled scholarships on the team this past year that he's filling now. I'm thinking at least a couple of the guys from last season were on academic scholarship. I am definitely curious to see if any of the players are going to be leaving, though, and who. School's been out for KWC for almost a month, so I thought maybe we would get some info on that, but I suppose time will tell.

Comment

If current players improve (stronger, ball handling, shooting) and want to stay we could have only three seniors this year and some redshirt sophomores as the new signees fit in. I think new signees could be better than some sophomores but sophomores are worth redshirting.

Comment

Zavon Godwin is transferring to a juco

Comment

Grade issues

Comment

He is a good kid hate to see him go.....great Detroit school systems.

Comment

I doubt we here much of anything coming out of the college until a new President is announced. Does anyone have a time frame on that hire?

Comment

I just watched big Ben's senior highlights. Dozens and dozens of dunks many after really good moves to basketball. Dozens of blocked shots many times he retains ball. Not many jump shots or free throws.

Comment

I loved Zavon's game and his athleticism. I hate to see him go elsewhere. I hope that wherever he goes utilizes him and he can get his grades straightened out if that is the problem. He seems like a great kid. I do wish him the best of luck. I'm probably unnecessarily excited about next season. I'm really anxious to see who stays and who we put on the court as the starting 5.

Comment

I'm cautiously excited for the coming season as well. The recruits we've signed so far do seem like they have a more "D2" feel about them than some of the signees from last year. And I don't say that as a knock against those kids. Losing Zavon is disappointing, as he was probably the freshman I was most excited to watch develop over time, and I feel like his injury really derailed his whole freshman year, not just on the court but probably in the classroom as well. Hopefully he'll find success in Juco and then come out the other side ready for D2 or even lower level D1 ball.

As for our incoming signees, I'm really excited to see Jo Griffin and Wyatt Battaile in particular, and it sounds like Sisson will be a solid post player right away as a freshman. I know Griffin and Battaile were walk-ons at Louisville, but if you look at their high school stats, and the success their teams had, you can tell they can really play ball. Plus even the walk-ons at a place like U of L are going to be solid ball players. They're not going to give up a roster spot for just anyone. If nothing else practicing with the stars on that team every day will have helped prepare them for just about anything they'll see at the D2 level.

Comment

Agree with points above. Zavon's grades were wobbly before injury. He is a real loss on the court but summer school, juco classes and hard work will be more important to him than basketball.

Cooper needs to give fans an idea of who is coming back. Maybe we will get an idea from his camps. Each player signed this year had a better HS career than last years signees. Having said that I expect last years players to much improved and better at closing games.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                            I'm cautiously excited for the coming season as well. The recruits we've signed so far do seem like they have a more "D2" feel about them than some of the signees from last year. And I don't say that as a knock against those kids. Losing Zavon is disappointing, as he was probably the freshman I was most excited to watch develop over time, and I feel like his injury really derailed his whole freshman year, not just on the court but probably in the classroom as well. Hopefully he'll find success in Juco and then come out the other side ready for D2 or even lower level D1 ball.

As for our incoming signees, I'm really excited to see Jo Griffin and Wyatt Battaile in particular, and it sounds like Sisson will be a solid post player right away as a freshman. I know Griffin and Battaile were walk-ons at Louisville, but if you look at their high school stats, and the success their teams had, you can tell they can really play ball. Plus even the walk-ons at a place like U of L are going to be solid ball players. They're not going to give up a roster spot for just anyone. If nothing else practicing with the stars on that team every day will have helped prepare them for just about anything they'll see at the D2 level.
                            I'll go out on a huge limb, without seeing schedule or roster, and predict .500 (plus or minus a game or 2) next year. Might make conference as 7 or 8 seed. Losing Zavon sucks. By far the most talented player of the bunch. Could have seen him be the best KWC player in a long time...a combo of Ken-Ja (shooting range) and Jacks (jumping).

Comment

That's an interesting, but true, point. He had the jumps like Jacks and he had the range and drive like Ken-Jah. He was a probably a season away from having that fire in his eye like Ken-Jah had. I really do agree that he had the potential to be one of the best players at KWC in a while. I am, however, excited about the players that have signed. I think all bring an immediate impact. Being a walk-on at a school like Louisville and practicing against a team like shouldn't be taken lightly. Those boys should bring something to the team that will make EVERYONE better. And that is so encouraging.

I think 2 games over .500 with a conference berth would be a good improvement. However, we all agree that is not the level of preseason goals we want to see! The development this off-season and the production next season will show us so much about Cooper and his system. I'd still hedge my bets that he brings the program back to a good place.

Comment

We add a 7'2" pivot (should help if he just stand with hands in the air) I think he will do more, a 6'4" strong guard that had a great all state type HS career, another 6'1" fast guard that had U of L fans saying play him, he had another great all state type HS career, a 6'7" PF who had many HS double digits games, again all state type career, a 6'6" PF that came into his own this year due to past injuries, he dominated each team his HS played.

Dual sport players that decide to focus basketball usually become very good.

We lost a very good basketball player that played 7 games and averaged 6 points and 5 rebounds and will get better. A real loss but new signees should be really good. Even better next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X