Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
    Any news on who replaces Happy's side kick at the helm for next season? I am assuming KWC plays Findlay and their season will mercifully end. The carnage of it all..........stay tuned.
    If Lake Erie beats Malone tomorrow we are the 8 seed and will play Findlay. If Lake Erie loses we are the 7 seed by way of tiebreaker (I'm 99% sure) and will most likely play Walsh, though if Hillsdale beats Findlay tomorrow I'm not sure who has the breaker between Hillsdale and Walsh, but we'd play whichever of them is the 2 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
      I don't think Owensboro would support a D1 team - much like the multiple pro teams that they've tried which start with good crowds and dwindle down to a couple hundred per game. But I guess you never know. I'm curious to see if WKU-O ever adds athletics. They could build a good Juco program there, if they did.

I've heard there has been massive interest in the HC position. I just hope the admin does what's best for the program and hires a high profile outsider to come in and rebuild the program. Coach Mays seems like a really nice guy, and under different circumstances maybe he would be "that guy" but given the results of this season I feel like we can't afford to give him the keys even for a one year contract. Attendance has already dropped like a rock. If they don't hire outside we might be competing with Ohio Valley for the lowest average attendance in the conference next year and I don't think anyone wants that.
      There should be massive interest in the head coaching position at KWC. The college deserves the best they can get from a National Search. The athletic department at KWC cannot afford a bad hire. Period.

Comment

I don't think Owensboro would support a D1 team - much like the multiple pro teams that they've tried which start with good crowds and dwindle down to a couple hundred per game. But I guess you never know. I'm curious to see if WKU-O ever adds athletics. They could build a good Juco program there, if they did.

I've heard there has been massive interest in the HC position. I just hope the admin does what's best for the program and hires a high profile outsider to come in and rebuild the program. Coach Mays seems like a really nice guy, and under different circumstances maybe he would be "that guy" but given the results of this season I feel like we can't afford to give him the keys even for a one year contract. Attendance has already dropped like a rock. If they don't hire outside we might be competing with Ohio Valley for the lowest average attendance in the conference next year and I don't think anyone wants that.
        There should be massive interest in the head coaching position at KWC. The college deserves the best they can get from a National Search. The athletic department at KWC cannot afford a bad hire. Period.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
            Mallory needs a big hit for the sake of his career and the future of kdub as D2
            There is no magic coach out there that can help Wesleyan at this point. The department needs money, a lot of it. If a new coach can put 5,000 back in the Sportscenter as an average attendance, that would do it. However, those days are over.

Comment

There is no magic coach out there that can help Wesleyan at this point. The department needs money, a lot of it. If a new coach can put 5,000 back in the Sportscenter as an average attendance, that would do it. However, those days are over.
              The athletics program is using more modern and visible fundraising methods but is not in as bad a shape financially as you seem to think. They have added new programs - bowling, wrestling (which is going to be very interesting, the coach they hired for that is very experienced and championship caliber) and I expect the coach hired for MBB to be someone the community will rally around. Obviously a tiny school like ours only generates so much revenue so I think Brad Moore has done a good job of trying new things to get more cash coming in to counterbalance the loss of attendance from our poor season. I expect attendance to be up next year, at least for the interest factor of people wanting to see the new coach and how he does things. We as fans need to understand that it's not going to be a flip of a switch - no "magic coach" as you put it - to get the program back to where it should be, but I expect it to be similar to when Happy took over for Coach Lee and we'll probably have a year or two of building before we're truly in the thick of things again. If rumors can be believed the candidate pool has already been narrowed down to 10 or so and they're mostly D1 assistants, which I feel is really the way we need to go - get a young coach in there that's got experience but needs to build their own name - and lets see if they can build our program up again. I'm optimistic about the future.

Comment

The athletic department at KWC will always need more money. Do they have full scholarship rosters for all of their sports? Are their coaching salaries above average in D2?

I hope a new coach can straighten things out. Still, I think the athletic department is dying a slow death at this point.
                Last edited by alumnifan; 02-24-2018, 05:19 PM.

Comment

And, really, their only hope is a resurrected men's basketball program.

Comment

I'm not sure you'd ever find a D2 athletics program that doesn't "need more money". When's the last time the school added a new sport, let alone multiple new sports? I think things are looking up overall, but then I'm an optimist by nature.

Comment

Quarterfinals - Thursday, March 1, 2018
                      #7 Lake Erie vs. #2 Walsh | Time: Noon (Eastern) | Location: Croy Gymnasium, Findlay, OH
                      Live Stats | Live Video
                      #6 Alderson Broaddus vs. #3 Hillsdale | Time: 2:30 p.m. (Eastern) | Location: Croy Gymnasium, Findlay, OH
                      Live Stats | Live Video
                      #8 Kentucky Wesleyan vs. #1 Findlay | Time: 6 p.m. (Eastern) | Location: Croy Gymnasium, Findlay, OH
                      Live Stats | Live Video
                      #5 Ohio Dominican vs. #4 Malone | Time: 8:30 p.m. (Eastern) | Location: Croy Gymnasium, Findlay, OH
                      Live Stats | Live Video

Comment

Will KWC announce a new head coach after they lose to Findlay?

Comment

Will KWC announce a new head coach after they lose to Findlay?
                          I would say they will announce a new head coach after they hire one.

Rumors I have heard include an assistant from Virginia Tech, an assistant from Jacksonville State (NOT Tommy Wade), and a former KWC player. I have heard they've narrowed the field to 10...though I heard those names before I heard that it was narrowed so I'm not sure if they are any or all in the pool of 10 finalists.

Comment

I would say they will announce a new head coach after they hire one.

Rumors I have heard include an assistant from Virginia Tech, an assistant from Jacksonville State (NOT Tommy Wade), and a former KWC player. I have heard they've narrowed the field to 10...though I heard those names before I heard that it was narrowed so I'm not sure if they are any or all in the pool of 10 finalists.
                            Are you guys not even considering coach Mays? As even a recruiting coach? You've seen that happy couldn't coach or recruit, all way back to taking Alex Brown days, but we don't know if Mays can or not. Even Harper couldn't coach that mess happy put on the floor so give Mays a little respect. Happy isn't very successful without Mays recruiting. His recruits were the reason happy was successful at Georgetown and why so many played after college. Mays had nothing to do with any of these recruits at kwc. He spent last 2 yrs at Valdosta st recruiting the team from 8 dif states that is presently nr 8 in the nation at 25-3. Was 25-2 until last game. Tied for 2nd with west Fla at 25-3 in a region with leader Morehouse at 24 -1. National ranking changed yesterday. All 3 still in top14. The man has connections all across America and Europe and knows how to recruit. I wouldn't kick him to the curb.

Mays is presently recruiting a point guard better than any in the glvc and possibly in the region. He also wasn't permitted to release a player this yr for team violations. Anyone knows basketball knows what team violations usually stands for. Also some head cases on team he had to deal with. Would you rather have Watson than Mays?
                            Last edited by Kingfish; 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfish View Post
                              Are you guys not even considering coach Mays? As even a recruiting coach? You've seen that happy couldn't coach or recruit, all way back to taking Alex Brown days, but we don't know if Mays can or not. Even Harper couldn't coach that mess happy put on the floor so give Mays a little respect. Happy isn't very successful without Mays recruiting. His recruits were the reason happy was successful at Georgetown and why so many played after college. Mays had nothing to do with any of these recruits at kwc. He spent last 2 yrs at Valdosta st recruiting the team from 8 dif states that is presently nr 8 in the nation at 25-3. Was 25-2 until last game. Tied for 2nd with west Fla at 25-3 in a region with leader Morehouse at 24 -1. National ranking changed yesterday. All 3 still in top14. The man has connections all across America and Europe and knows how to recruit. I wouldn't kick him to the curb.

Mays is presently recruiting a point guard better than any in the glvc and possibly in the region. He also wasn't permitted to release a player this yr for team violations. Anyone knows basketball knows what team violations usually stands for. Also some head cases on team he had to deal with. Would you rather have Watson than Mays?
                              I don't know if Mays is being considered in the finalist pool or not. I have not heard one way or another. My biggest concern if they did hire him is that people that don't know or understand the details you shared will only look at the results of this past year and will give up on KWC basketball as a result. We've already lost a ton of attendance over the past 2-3 years.

As for myself personally, Coach Mays seems like a really great guy. I know he tried extremely hard with the hand he was dealt...he didn't recruit ANY of the players on this year's team...and he handled a tough situation with as much grace as you could ask for. That being said, he was not able to get any semblance of control of this team. The team had zero composure and zero chemistry. Is that his fault? No. But, it does scare me a bit that he wasn't able to get any level of improvement on those things over the course of the season.

And no...if it were between Watson and Mays I would take Mays every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Also, as far as not being able to release a player for violations, I had not heard that but it doesn't really surprise me. Well...it surprises me that he wasn't allowed to...just not that something occurred that would have prompted him to try.

Honestly with what I witnessed many times on the court and on the bench this season there are 2-3 players on this team that would have been sat down on the bench and never been checked back into a game all season. I would have played the walk-ons at the end of the bench rather than those guys - between cussing out refs and getting T'd up and cussing out their own coaching staff. Sure, some of our 30 point losses would have become 40 point losses, but what difference does it make at that point?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X