Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
    The other thing I've heard that I might not have mentioned before is they want to put someone in place that will emphasize recruitment of 4 year players so that we aren't constantly stuck with 1 and 2 year transfers making up the whole team.
    Good, that was my biggest criticism of the last coach. I dont think he worked hard at recruiting. He had one kid that came in as a freshman and then graduated, zero post season tournament wins

Comment

Also, I've heard that Coach Mays late in the season got a commitment from Sean McNeill who is a HS senior guard that was also being pursued by Bellarmine.
      Sean McNeil out of northern KY enrolled at Bellarmine at back at the start of the 2017-18 school year, but wound up quitting hoops by the end of August. From what I could tell, he was a good player in high school, so I can see him being drawn back to the game and playing somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
        Sean McNeil out of northern KY enrolled at Bellarmine at back at the start of the 2017-18 school year, but wound up quitting hoops by the end of August. From what I could tell, he was a good player in high school, so I can see him being drawn back to the game and playing somewhere.
        Could be that he wasn't the type of player that wanted to deal with Davenport's coaching style? I don't know, I was aware that we were recruiting him but then he dropped off of our list on Verbal Commits, and Bellarmine's, too, for that matter, so I wasn't sure exactly what happened.

Comment

Could be that he wasn't the type of player that wanted to deal with Davenport's coaching style? I don't know, I was aware that we were recruiting him but then he dropped off of our list on Verbal Commits, and Bellarmine's, too, for that matter, so I wasn't sure exactly what happened.
          Yeah, weird deal, and I don't really know the details. Guess it could've been a clash of styles, lack of foreseeable playing time, etc.

I remember being excited about his commitment and liking what I saw in some high school game clips.

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
            Yeah, weird deal, and I don't really know the details. Guess it could've been a clash of styles, lack of foreseeable playing time, etc.

I remember being excited about his commitment and liking what I saw in some high school game clips.
            I imagine it was a little of both. It takes a lot of guts to put up with Davenport's style and if you know you are riding the pine for at least the first two years it can be really tough. There is so many Brent Bachs out there who can put up with it for two years before getting some playing time. Bach has shown it was worth it though. One of the best senior seasons by a guy who saw little time in his first three years. of course McNeil quit before seeing what Bach accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
              I imagine it was a little of both. It takes a lot of guts to put up with Davenport's style and if you know you are riding the pine for at least the first two years it can be really tough. There is so many Brent Bachs out there who can put up with it for two years before getting some playing time. Bach has shown it was worth it though. One of the best senior seasons by a guy who saw little time in his first three years. of course McNeil quit before seeing what Bach accomplished.
              If true that he will be @ KWC next year I just hope it's not a matter of being a head case. Happy (and apparently Mays - see Amir Warnock) seemed to have a knack for recruiting those at times.

Comment

A HC at kwc possibility...Mark Hester from IU East...from KY...taken program from start up to NAIA D2 power

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
                  A HC at kwc possibility...Mark Hester from IU East...from KY...taken program from start up to NAIA D2 power
                  NAIA D2? WTH? There is quite a difference between NAIA D2 and NCAA D2. No NCAA experience? The President and the AD maybe looking for a new job after this hire. I vote %$## NO!

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                    NAIA D2? WTH? There is quite a difference between NAIA D2 and NCAA D2. No NCAA experience? The President and the AD maybe looking for a new job after this hire. I vote %$## NO!
                    Not a name I've heard mentioned, and probably thrown out there by this USI fan just to get you riled up. Don't take the bait.

Comment

A National Search should Never consider an NAIA D2 coach from Indiana. Not to knock the KWC fans who root for IU, but when was the last time KWC had a head coach come from an NAIA program, or from Indiana? I remember none.

Comment

A National Search should Never consider an NAIA D2 coach from Indiana. Not to knock the KWC fans who root for IU, but when was the last time KWC had a head coach come from an NAIA program, or from Indiana? I remember none.
                        Wayne Boultinghouse......Rockport....University of Evansville......ISUE

Comment

Comment

One word as to why they wouldn't want to dip into NAIA for a coach....Gilmore.

Comment

My contacts have indicated that none of the finalists are NAIA, or otherwise non-NCAA, coaches.

Comment

It depends what kind of coach they are. If they're the kind of coach that's made a living by getting their players to play a system and play it with toughness and have proven they can beat teams with more talent than them, then I wouldn't be afraid of an NAIA coach. However, if they're the kind of coach that's made a living in the NAIA by existing in a weak league or by getting superior talent (translation: D1 drop outs, which is how most of the successful NAIA programs work), then take a pass.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X