Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I misspoke when I said they has three interviews the other day. They had their third interview. I hope they have any family issues settled. Wife working, kids schooling and such. Nice to have some excitement about the future. Who would you keep from last years team??

Comment

We have a coach! Thomas More hc and former Bellarmine assistant Drew Cooper. Will post thoughts when I can get to a computer instead of my phone

Comment

Congrats KWC!

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
          We have a coach! Thomas More hc and former Bellarmine assistant Drew Cooper. Will post thoughts when I can get to a computer instead of my phone
          Excellent -- congrats on a fine choice. Will be pulling for you guys (when KWC isn't playing the Knights).

Comment

Except now the MI reporter has deleted his tweets I think? Wth...

Comment

He was my choice but I did like the shiny lights from NYC. I worry that he has not recruited for 5 years. You need to recruit juniors if they are more than two stars. Being well know in Ky and not 40 lbs over weight will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                He was my choice but I did like the shiny lights from NYC. I worry that he has not recruited for 5 years. You need to recruit juniors if they are more than two stars. Being well know in Ky and not 40 lbs over weight will be good.

It may not be the exact same.......but who says D3 coaches don't recruit.

Comment

Congratulations on the news about the hiring of your new Men's Basketball Coach.

Comment

Drew Cooper seems like a great choice to me. He certainly has a solid resume and unlike many coaches, he was a very good player. The big question will be how he does at D2 style recruiting. It seems to me that by hiring Cooper the administration is committed to recruiting mainly four year players with some supplementation from juco and d1 transfers, which is not the way KWC has been building teams. This may mean that you will need a little patience in building the program. The real competition between Bellarmine and KWC is going to be on the recruiting battlefield. I do think that this offers an opportunity for the relationship between the schools to warm up. Would not be surprised if we start scheduling each other again (I sure hope so).

BTW, for those that watched last year's regional on the internet, Cooper was the color commentator.

Comment

I think Coach Drew Cooper is a tremendous hire for KWC. His bio speaks for itself...the Bellarmine connection is great on multiple fronts, and the fact that he was involved (some would say instrumental) landing some of their best players on their best teams in program history is very exciting. I think one of the best things is that all signs point to this being a coach that will build the program back up the right way. Bellarmine has never relied exclusively on juco and 1 year D1 transfers. KWC never relied exclusively on those either, even under Harper. Yes, Harper brought in D1 transfers every year...but they were always mixed in with good 4 year players. I appreciate Happy's time and efforts on behalf of the program, and I don't hold any ill will towards him, but the last 2-3 years of his tenure were far too juco and 1 year transfer heavy. We all know that and most have griped about it on here, so I'm not going to beat that dead horse. But I do think if you look at Coach Cooper's history that's not going to be a problem.

Now, what can we expect going forward? For one, he's inheriting a program that's in a bit of disarray. He's going to have heavy recruiting to do as we already know some players are gone, and others will most likely leave. My thoughts on some of those will be below. We all are going to need to be patient. I firmly believe we will be better next year than we were this year. But will we be league champion? Will we make the NCAA tourney? Those are things which only time will tell for sure, but intellectually you have to think they are going to be long shots. If Coach is going to build the program back up using a mix of players that are heavier in the 4 year variety, it's probably going to take a year or two before we start meeting full potentials.

On players coming back for next year - We know Milligan and Redix are gone. Noffsinger has been reported as leaving, too, though that poor guy was probably never going to see the court because of his knee problems. I've never seen a kid 3 years in a row come out after the first week of games walking on crutches.

What I have been told is that Malek Harris, Brandon Hatton, and Rasheide Bell are "definitely" returning. Colton Elkins has also finally been medically cleared to play again and should be in a KWC uniform next season (he was described to me as a 225 pound Dakota Quinn...which sounds awesome!). I would definitely love to see Dakota Quinn return as well, though I'm told he has not yet decided what he wants to do. That gives you a good core of players returning but 5-6 scholarships still to give. One of those scholarships is supposed to be offered to Sean McNeil, the player who signed initially with Bellarmine but left within a couple of weeks of school starting last year. If he is on board he would be a freshman.

Comment

The two last post are well thought out and refreshing for this site. If Bell stays he needs to get his head right. I like Harris but he can not be counted on to be on the court. Quinn can be a game changer. Drew does have his hands full and needs support from all of us.

There is recruiting " I know you have D1 offers but come visit and see about KWC" There is persuading " You can play college basketball at our school" This year much will depend on who Jason has created interested in KWC.

Comment

Why can Harris not be counted on to be on the court?

Comment

He never has played a full season with out injury. He has missed games in I think the last 6 seasons.

I hope we play Bell and Thomas Moore in the future.

Comment

I think Wesleyan will be very competitive this season. Coach Cooper has a pretty strong nucleus returning. He should already know about the Kentucky talent that is still out there. He will want to hit the ground running and winning.

Recruiting should be easier for him now that he has actual athletic scholarships to give. I guarantee you he is not thinking, "Oh, well, this is my first season. I just want to win a few and build for next season." His first priority has to be getting people back in the seats at the Sportscenter and that means winning at home. I think they will. The athletic department can use the money.

Wesleyan also needs a booster organization to come back on board now that they have a reason. Coach Cooper should be able to communicate to the supporters without ticking them off at every turn. Osborne was horrible at communicating with some of the alumni and liked to intimidate by keeping a big guy by his side. He made me sick with his Napoleon complex.
                              Last edited by alumnifan; 03-23-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I didn't mean he's going to be thinking winning isn't important in the first season, I'm merely pointing out that if his recruiting is primarily going to be bringing in freshmen, we're going to be a very young team next year. Which is OK.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X