Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I'm getting tired of losing to USI as well. Happy said the same thing last year and they lost 3 games the entire season. I think he may realize that KWC will take a beating at Louisville. That doesn't bother me. Throwing the team in the D2 spotlight early in the season is a good thing. I'm just not willing to throw the towel in on this year's team.

I don't see Happy retiring. We have no idea what kind of contract he has. We'll see, but Happy will keep working in college basketball in some capacity.

Comment

What D2 program would fire a coach for winning (what?) 48 games in a row now at home, with back to back Conference titles and two automatic bids?

I have to stand by Coach Osborne this season. No Wesleyan basketball team will back down from great competition. Yeah, yeah, they play Bluefield State once. So what? KWC has a stronger schedule this season. They should have advanced in the tournament last season. I think Happy Osborne knows that.

Don't write off Happy Osborne this season.
      Last edited by alumnifan; 08-03-2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
        What D2 program would fire a coach for winning (what?) 48 games in a row now at home, with back to back Conference titles and two automatic bids?

I have to stand by Coach Osborne this season. No Wesleyan basketball team will back down from great competition. Yeah, yeah, they play Bluefield State once. So what? KWC has a stronger schedule this season. They should have advanced in the tournament last season. I think Happy Osborne knows that.

Don't write off Happy Osborne this season.
        I won't

Comment

I'm not sure anyone knows enough about these players to make the claim that this is the weakest team Happy's had here.

What we DO know is:

-Malek Harris is the best big man we've had during Happy's tenure (easily)

-Dakota Quinn is a talented, athletic big that will complement Harris nicely

-Rasheide Bell is a very good guard.

-Brandon Hatton has a high basketball IQ and will have the opportunity to really have a breakout year now that he's not playing behind Bosley and Jacks.

-Daniel Dz. from Toledo is a good point guard who was enrolled and able to practice with the team second semester last year (and I believe would have been a redshirt so I think VC has it wrong that he's a SR this year, I think we'll find he's a JR)

-All signs point to us having a much better DEFENSIVE team this season, which was a major need.

What we DON'T know is:

-Just how good are the other guards we've signed?

-Will Jay Johnson still have ANY of the talent he had when he last played?

-What will be the effect of changing to a smaller, but quicker, roster be?

And let me frame those unknowns with this question: Two years ago at this time, did anyone on this board know Jordan Jacks was going to be the player he turned out to be? I sure didn't. Not only had I never heard of him, but I looked at where he came from - D2 Shorter University, hardly a powerhouse - and was less than impressed.

So I guess my point is that we do have a couple of known quantities we should be very happy about. The unknowns are significant but not that different from any other year - and they're UNKNOWN.

Personally, I am staying optimistic about these guys. If they truly are defensively solid like what I've read, that's going to be a big boon for us. I fully expect Harris to be in full on beast mode this year.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
            I'm not sure anyone knows enough about these players to make the claim that this is the weakest team Happy's had here.

What we DO know is:

-Brandon Hatton has a high basketball IQ and will have the opportunity to really have a breakout year now that he's not playing behind Bosley and Jacks.

-Daniel Dz. from Toledo is a good point guard who was enrolled and able to practice with the team second semester last year (and I believe would have been a redshirt so I think VC has it wrong that he's a SR this year, I think we'll find he's a JR)

-All signs point to us having a much better DEFENSIVE team this season, which was a major need.

What we DON'T know is:

And let me frame those unknowns with this question: Two years ago at this time, did anyone on this board know Jordan Jacks was going to be the player he turned out to be? I sure didn't. Not only had I never heard of him, but I looked at where he came from - D2 Shorter University, hardly a powerhouse - and was less than impressed.

So I guess my point is that we do have a couple of known quantities we should be very happy about. The unknowns are significant but not that different from any other year - and they're UNKNOWN.

Personally, I am staying optimistic about these guys. If they truly are defensively solid like what I've read, that's going to be a big boon for us. I fully expect Harris to be in full on beast mode this year.
            The schedule looks to be more difficult than in recent years. The team could improve from last year and the win/loss record be worse.

Comment

You hit it on the head when you said better defensive team. If KWC improves on defense they will be e better team this year. You all have enough potential scoring options and Harris is going to be a monster this year. The defense against solid teams has to get better and if it does you all will have a chance to make some noise this year in the tournament.

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post

What we DO know is:

What we DON'T know is:

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                The schedule looks to be more difficult than in recent years. The team could improve from last year and the win/loss record be worse.
                Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                  Losses to Findlay could add up to the total losses from last year, alone. That's not knocking KWC but is a compliment to how good UF will be.

Comment

The published schedule is missing a couple of tough games. I knew and said Jacks would be a great addition. He played very well at Shorter. Just look at the tapes.

I too think Harris will be the best big in the conference but he has a bum knee and could not play every game last year. He has a very high basketball IQ and better guards to feed him but will be easy to double team him. Quinn is good but not a great jump shooter and will need to play defense differently to stay in the game.

We have two players returning that played together maybe 10 minutes a game for 21 games. We have players returning that averaged 17 points a game. I have not found any other team that does not have returning players averaging more points returning. Happy has always had more points returning even with pretty high turn over.

I am trying to be real as to what we are facing. We have good players coming in. Players that have played on good teams and know how to win but have not been dominating with their scoring. Enough for now more later.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                      I too think Harris will be the best big in the conference but he has a bum knee and could not play every game last year.
                      If he is better than Taren Sullivan at Findlay, he is a very good player. The POY for the Midwest Region will come down to Zach Hankins at Ferris, Adam Eberhard at BU, or Sullivan at Findlay.

Comment

I don't consider Sullivan to be a big since they move him around a great deal on offense. But Sullivan is a great player, no doubt.

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                        If he is better than Taren Sullivan at Findlay, he is a very good player. The POY for the Midwest Region will come down to Zach Hankins at Ferris, Adam Eberhard at BU, or Sullivan at Findlay.

Comment

Originally posted by Redswin View Post
                          I don't consider Sullivan to be a big since they move him around a great deal on offense. But Sullivan is a great player, no doubt.
                          6'6" 220 lbs is a pretty big guy in D2. He is a power player who can shoot from distance. Admittedly, if "big" used as a noun means post player, Sulivan is not a big. If pushed for a position I think he could be considered a 4 or a 3. But it's all semantics. I just know that I was thoroughly impressed with his play at the regional.

Speaking of Findlay, I think they will be well served to get more shots to Sullivan and fewer to Kimbrough. Findlay's achiles heal could be Kimbrough's shot selection.

Comment

Agree..I said big. Harris is a solid player which is why he was 3.7 star in high school. He may not get the numbers to be POY this year but he and our guards will be a hand full.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightStalker View Post
                              Losses to Findlay could add up to the total losses from last year, alone. That's not knocking KWC but is a compliment to how good UF will be.
                              There is a flaw in your logic. Findlay has not played two games against KWC yet as a member of the G-MAC. I know Findlay is a very good team. However, Wesleyan is approaching​ 50 straight wins at Home in the Sportscenter.

Comment

You're all a bunch of Drunkards!
                                🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X