• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

A good hire indeed

Comment

Hatton and Harris returning Three guards that could be playing on a D1 team. Big guy from Wyoming not coming. Not sure where he will go. I believe he is the worst player over 6'8" in D1 so not a loss for me. Kid from Los Angles is not any more skilled than what he had but is smarter and more coachable.

I think we will be playing ball more and dancing less.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
        Hatton and Harris returning Three guards that could be playing on a D1 team. Big guy from Wyoming not coming. Not sure where he will go. I believe he is the worst player over 6'8" in D1 so not a loss for me. Kid from Los Angles is not any more skilled than what he had but is smarter and more coachable.

I think we will be playing ball more and dancing less.
        What about Williams?

Comment

Happy had to build a new team after Bosley and Jacks graduated. It will be interesting to see what Ken-Jah will do. Jordan was a model player. His smile was something else.

I can live with keeping Malek Harris and Brandon Hatton. Malek Harris had a very good season, but he should flourish in the upcoming season.

Brandon Hatton is a tough nosed shooter and player. He learned a lot last season.

Still, I am always concerned about post players and the changing of the guards.

Comment

Everyone else is gone. I can still see Sam dancing, smiling and playing with a ball at mid court at the NCAA tourney. Clearly he had learned anything. He could have been something special but didn't even learn how to dunk during a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
              Everyone else is gone. I can still see Sam dancing, smiling and playing with a ball at mid court at the NCAA tourney. Clearly he had learned anything. He could have been something special but didn't even learn how to dunk during a game.
              Everyone else who dressed? Or literally everyone? Wondering about the kid from Toledo...

Comment

Start over again??? How often does he need to start over?

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                I don't have a subscription to the OMI. It seems the SID office will not be listing any of the OMI articles. That could have been a point of contention between the two.

What else was written? It does confirm some things I have heard from another source. They'll release the 2017-2018 Roster with a big splash on the Athletic website as soon as they tie up the knots. Maybe, Happy realized he had to start over.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                  Start over again??? How often does he need to start over?
                  Unfortunately I agree with you. If you are always reloading, your not building a top notch program. Bellermine I feel does it right. Since Happy has been here he has had only one 4 year player they have developed, Bosley. Since we didn't have any true freshman last year, he could go another four years without one, that's not good in my book. It seems like Happy attracts a lot of kids with attitudes! He also is a sucker for one and done players, so you never feel like we are building anything positive here. Happy is a great man I am sure, but I never see us winning another title while he is here, it's hard to defend his performance as coach

Comment

A fair statement...club players never really paned out. My issue is that too many signed players change their mind. So many HS recruits get recruited to prep (basketball factory) schools. It works for some but not for many. Before last year I think player attitudes were okay. Happy has recruited many that he knew in high school.

Lots of D2 coaches cleaning house this year. Not sure if it is due to D1 transfers or lack of skill/wiling to work.

Comment

Happy did a fantastic job in NAIA but his strategy of recruiting hasn't worked well in DII. Many underestimate the difference between these two levels and that difference is massive. NAIA mirrors more what you see in JUCO ball. Talented players playing in a very loosely designed structure offensively and defensively. I still felt Happy would make the adjustment work because is a very engaging individual and has such great passion for the sport of basketball. Personally I hope he rights the ship because I am beginning to wonder how much longer he will be at the helm.

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
                      Unfortunately I agree with you. If you are always reloading, your not building a top notch program. Bellermine I feel does it right. Since Happy has been here he has had only one 4 year player they have developed, Bosley. Since we didn't have any true freshman last year, he could go another four years without one, that's not good in my book. It seems like Happy attracts a lot of kids with attitudes! He also is a sucker for one and done players, so you never feel like we are building anything positive here. Happy is a great man I am sure, but I never see us winning another title while he is here, it's hard to defend his performance as coach

Comment

Originally posted by Redswin View Post
                        Happy did a fantastic job in NAIA but his strategy of recruiting hasn't worked well in DII. Many underestimate the difference between these two levels and that difference is massive. NAIA mirrors more what you see in JUCO ball. Talented players playing in a very loosely designed structure offensively and defensively. I still felt Happy would make the adjustment work because is a very engaging individual and has such great passion for the sport of basketball. Personally I hope he rights the ship because I am beginning to wonder how much longer he will be at the helm.
                        It's good to have you on the Board. I agree with everything you say. We have no idea really about what is going on within the program. You have to develop a strong team over time with players who know each other. Why recruit a player or players and have them packing the next season? Academics? Breaking team rules?

Happy did pretty good with Ken-Jah and Jordan last season. The Williams suspension caused the first round loss in the NCAA Regional. I'm beating a dead horse.

Continuity is the staple of a great program. Wesleyan has two players returning.

Comment

Sam I don't think realized how talented he was and that is a shame. I am rooting for Happy because he is one of the good guys in this sport. I bet you he has a plan and that plan is based on team chemistry. The really great Kentucky Wesleyan teams always had a couple of unselfish role players.

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                          It's good to have you on the Board. I agree with everything you say. We have no idea really about what is going on within the program. You have to develop a strong team over time with players who know each other. Why recruit a player or players and have them packing the next season? Academics? Breaking team rules?

Happy did pretty good with Ken-Jah and Jordan last season. The Williams suspension caused the first round loss in the NCAA Regional. I'm beating a dead horse.

Continuity is the staple of a great program. Wesleyan has two players returning.

Comment

Malek Harris is the Captain of the KWC basketball team, literally. This is his team now. The guy went absolutely under the radar last year. That's not to say he didn't have outstanding performances, he did. He was just playing in the shadow of the seniors.

Give Bosley his dues. I thought the man played his heart out, and he is undoubtedly among the top shooting guards Wesleyan has ever had. He will be in the college Athletic Hall of Fame in the future. The guy went into Freedom Hall and scored 21 points his freshman season against Louisville. You think that's easy?

Jordan Jacks was an outstanding talent. His leaping ability was extroidinary. He also improved immensely.

Happy can't fill that type of offense this season. They were a special combo for two years.

Comment

New story on kwcpanthers.com ... Lists Jay Johnson (6'7" F / transfer from Marshall) as a signee, which I had forgotten about completely. He was supposed to be a signee last year, so not sure exactly what happened there, but sounds like he's finally going to be on board. Brings some good size to go with Harris and Quinn down low. Definitely sounds like we're going to be very guard oriented, though Harris has the talent to be one of the top forwards in the region. We're just not very deep size-wise. Lots of 6' to 6'2" guys to go with only 3 guys 6'7" or better. That said, you don't have to have a ton of size to be successful in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                                New story on kwcpanthers.com ... Lists Jay Johnson (6'7" F / transfer from Marshall) as a signee, which I had forgotten about completely. He was supposed to be a signee last year, so not sure exactly what happened there, but sounds like he's finally going to be on board. Brings some good size to go with Harris and Quinn down low. Definitely sounds like we're going to be very guard oriented, though Harris has the talent to be one of the top forwards in the region. We're just not very deep size-wise. Lots of 6' to 6'2" guys to go with only 3 guys 6'7" or better. That said, you don't have to have a ton of size to be successful in D2.
                                That's some good news, did we ever get confirmation on Sam Williams status??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X