Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

At AB in first 10+ minutes and 16 possessions KWC was out scored 38-8 giving up over 2 points per possession and scoring less than 0.5 points per possession committing 4 turnovers and forcing 0.

Once again yesterday KWC team disappears for 10 minutes. With 13:16 left KWC up 55-42. Over next 14 possessions and 10:16 KWC is outscored 29-6. Again giving up over 2 points per possession and scoring less than 0.5 points per possession committing 4 turnovers and forcing 0.

Possession break down:
    KWC (Possession) AB
    0- (Made 3) -4
    2- (Made 2) -5
    0- (2 Free Throws) -2
    4- (Turnover) -0
    5- (Miss 3) -0
    2- (Miss 2) -1
    1- (Miss, Miss, made 2) -0
    0- (Miss, Miss, made 3) -1
    0- (Miss then miss) -1

AB hit 5 3's and 5 2's and 4 FTs in 14 possessions!

KWC will finish 9-17. About where I thought. Coach has got to recruit better talent for next year for KWC to win more than 12 games (unless he pads schedule with more NAIA teams). We can't keep signing players whose only offers are from D3 and NAIA schools and expect to compete and win! What I don't know is how much of a difference Zavon would have made and will make next year. He appears to be the most talented player on the team.

Comment

I am not sure what the worst record would be percentage wise for the KWC Basketball team. However, it is highly unlikely they will win either of their last two games. They lost to both Findlay and Hillsdale at the Spoortscenter by 19 and 20 points respectively. So, that means they will probably not win ten games this season. Early on in the season it was apparent that KWC had a need for some dominant bigs, along with a power forward that could also play the five. You can't win in D2 playing small ball. schnautza has KWC rated 222 in the Performance Indicator ratings out of just over 290 teams.

Everybody at KWC can hate me, but I am just telling it like it is. Something has to be done for next season in order to improve this team for the long run. Letting some players go is a tough thing to do, but this current coach cannot win without strong athletic players. In the past that was a given. Tough, strong, brawling, dunking bigs. That is what we need and a couple of all state guards. You think that is too much to ask? It never was in the past.
      Last edited by alumnifan; 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I think everyone agrees there is room for improvement and some roster moves need to be made. They need a post player. Mo just doesn't seem like he wants to play the 5. Maybe the smith kid comes back next year and can help in that spot. I want to see a different starting 5 next year. I'd like to see Bell, Hopewell, Godwin, Mo/Nick fort, and Smith. I think we have to get away from playing Bezold so much. I like the kid, I really do. I appreciate how tough he plays. But his upside seems much more limited than some of the younger kids. I think this season's experience will be good for the young ones in the future. I really am excited for Cooper to have these boys through a full off-season and see kids like Fort, Cartwright, Tarik, Seaton come back next year and see how much they have developed. One thing I am going to be a big fan of is getting to see kids grow. That opportunity really hasn't been present the last few years outside of a few players, namely Ken-Jah.

Comment

I honestly think the biggest turning point in the season for us this year (which was a turning point in the wrong direction) was the loss of Zavon Godwin. That kid was just starting to become comfortable with the speed of the college game and with the system Coach Cooper runs, and his kind of athleticism and size were key components that we've been missing ever since.

Bezold has done everything asked of him all season, but he's just not a power forward. At least not at the D2 level. But all things considered, he's played very well for us especially the last few games.

And I totally agree that we are sorely lacking in the post. Mo actually has the skillset to be excellent down there, and I feel like he's become more comfortable with it as the season has progressed. I feel like adding Smith will be a massive gain for us, and to be honest if Mo works on post play during the off season he and Smith together could provide a really nice one-two punch down low.

I actually feel like the bigger issue for us is our lack of strength at the guard positions. That's not to say we don't have good guards, but literally they are not STRONG. If we had a couple of guys that could get to the basket and either finish through contact or at least manage to draw fouls we would be soooo much more dangerous. As it is, our guys can get down there but either can't get the shot up over the defense, or shy away from contact and end up getting blocked or passing it back out. That has hurt us immeasurably this season. If the staff can get Goetz, in particular, in the weight room and get him to work on that aspect of his game during the off season, he could be a dominant force in the conference next year. Could you imagine a Goetz that has the shooting and passing ability that he has now, plus a Ken-Jah like ability to take it to the rim and score or draw the foul? That would be amazing.
          Last edited by kdubnation; 02-26-2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
            I honestly think the biggest turning point in the season for us this year (which was a turning point in the wrong direction) was the loss of Zavon Godwin. That kid was just starting to become comfortable with the speed of the college game and with the system Coach Cooper runs, and his kind of athleticism and size were key components that we've been missing ever since.
            That is a very fair assessment. He does bring a lot to the team. I'd love to see him grab a medical redshirt for this year and have 4 more years to do some big things.

On another note, we obviously have several young guys that probably didn't get as much playing time as they wanted. I would predominantly point to Fort and Seaton as those guys. Both got minutes and had contributions in those minutes, but they also had stretches were they didnt touch the floor all night. Does anyone think we may lose a couple of guys to transfers? I'm hoping we don't, but I'm not so naive as to think that these boys don't want to see the court every chance they can.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherfan View Post
              That is a very fair assessment. He does bring a lot to the team. I'd love to see him grab a medical redshirt for this year and have 4 more years to do some big things.

On another note, we obviously have several young guys that probably didn't get as much playing time as they wanted. I would predominantly point to Fort and Seaton as those guys. Both got minutes and had contributions in those minutes, but they also had stretches were they didnt touch the floor all night. Does anyone think we may lose a couple of guys to transfers? I'm hoping we don't, but I'm not so naive as to think that these boys don't want to see the court every chance they can.
              There's always the possibility of losing some players during the off season. One thing we know is that Hunter Noffsinger is gone. He went through senior day and is graduating. I guess he probably still had at least a year of eligibility left, but by the same token he was a walk-on so that doesn't free up scholarship.

All I know for sure is that it is a process that takes time. We went through this exact same scenario when Coach Lee was first hired. Cooper will get his program installed, the caliber of players being recruited will improve, and we'll be contenders again. I firmly believe this to be true.

Comment

Also, Zach Hopewell is a guy that showed what he can do in flashes this season. If he can become consistent with his shooting and overall production, he's the kind of player that could put up 20 ppg for us in the next couple of years.

Comment

I think these points are spot on. I have heard Cooper has a couple of full rides in his pocket. Wants a big and a PG to transfer in.

This summer is very important. Many should stay in Owensboro take a couple of classes and get in the gym/weight room every day.

I hope to see some pride and hard play these last two games. Having said that I would not be unhappy losing both. I want Findlay to host regional and with some luck (win out+upsets)we could get one or two more in tourney.

Comment

Would love to see the Panthers pull off one big upset tonight.

Comment

We all would but methinks the region will be played in Romeoville regardless

Comment

Findlay has a very nice facility, a great pep band, and a horrible fight song. And a very good basketball team. KWC will be back soon, though. Don't get too comfortable in that top spot.

Comment

I sound like a broken record because this team plays like one.

For 4 minutes KWC falls apart again. From 15:14 to 11:14 KWC and Findlay each have 9 possessions. KWC is outscored 16-0, turning the ball over 5 times and missing 2 3's and 2 2's. Findlay commits 0 turnovers making 2 3's and 5 2's, while missing one each.

Comment

Originally posted by kdubnation View Post
                            Findlay has a very nice facility, a great pep band, and a horrible fight song. And a very good basketball team. KWC will be back soon, though. Don't get too comfortable in that top spot.
                            Glad you liked the place and, yes, we really do need to do something about that fight song.

Comment

• Comment

Great job by the Panthers today, things are looking up. Hang in there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X