Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Title IX and Men's Sports

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I made the assertion I did based on a couple cases I was familiar with working in the private sector. Yes, I could be wrong and all cases are not the same but it's my understanding that the EEOC-based Right to Sue carries a lot of weight. EEOC has reviewed all the information available, generated a report, and has concluded there is a legitimate case. That's my understanding.

I would also add I think there is little chance this would actually go to a jury. This will be settled in some way or another.
    I thought a jury was requested on the complaint that was filed.

Comment

That's assuming it ever sees a courtroom. Odds are it is settled long before that happens.

Comment

Can we all at least agree, that this topic is way more entertaining than the IUP off season thread?

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
          You keep accusing people of being someone? Dare we ask who you are?

also, worth noting.... b. Marketplace as a Factor Other Than Sex

Employers have also asserted that the marketplace is
          a factor other than sex, arguing that they must pay a
          male coach higher wages than they pay a female coach in
          order to compete for him. The Commission has
          distinguished the "marketplace value" defense from the
          "market rate" defense. The "market rate" defense, which
          has been rejected by the courts and the Commission, is
          based on the employer's assumption that "women are
          available for employment at lower rates of pay due to
          'market' factors such as the principle of 'supply and
          demand.'"31 The "marketplace value" defense is not
          gender-based but rather is based on the employer's
          consideration of an individual's value in setting wages.
          Such consideration will qualify as a factor other than
          sex only if the employer can demonstrate that it has
          assessed the marketplace value of the particular
          individual's job-related characteristics, and any salary
          discrepancy is not based on sex.32 Sex discrimination in
          the marketplace which results in lower pay for jobs done
          by women will not support the marketplace value defense.

EXAMPLE:

A mid-sized college hires a man as head
          basketball coach for its men's team. It pays
          him a starting $100,000 base salary because
          "that is the going rate" and what the salary
          for that position has "traditionally" been.
          This is twice the salary earned by the women's
          basketball coach (a woman) even though the
          men's and women's coaching jobs are
          substantially equal. However, the man's
          higher salary is not justified by any
          particular type of experience, expertise or
          skills required to coach the men's team but
          not the women's team. Nor does the
          particular man hired have job-related skills
          whose marketplace value would justify the
          higher salary. The college merely assumed it
          would need to pay $100,000 to a coach for the
          men's team. "Marketplace" is not a factor
          other than sex.

https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/coaches.html

In that example......Paying a mens coach because "that is the going rate" and that's what the salary has "traditionally" been ....the college merely assumed it would need to pay the mens coach that salary........IS NOT a factor other than sex in basically equal jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiber View Post
            You shouldn't read into statements. I meant what was stated that I hope it goes to trial so the true circumstances are revealed. We only know what one side says if that does not occur.
            According to you... this is a one sided, skewed story....full of inaccuracies and misinformation. Statements implying direct knowledge. Now its I know nothing.. lets see both sides of the story?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              Can we all agree that football should be Tier 1? (whatever that means)
              That would probably require some big changes in the athletic dept. and another male sport would probably suffer if that move was made.

Comment

Can you please offer a definition (I think this is the 4th ask) as to what Tiering is?

It's pretty clear as to your proximity to the volleyball program. Is Volleyball, men's basketball, wrestling, and women's basketball, all compliant with Tier 1?

The notion of pay as an issue for a Tier 1 coach, has been put to bed. I admire your fervor, but that ship has sailed. Help me understand the rooting interest?

Comment

Can you please offer a definition (I think this is the 4th ask) as to what Tiering is?

It's pretty clear as to your proximity to the volleyball program. Is Volleyball, men's basketball, wrestling, and women's basketball, all compliant with Tier 1?

The notion of pay as an issue for a Tier 1 coach, has been put to bed. I admire your fervor, but that ship has sailed. Help me understand the rooting interest?
                  You don't know the definition of what tiering is but the issue of pay for a tier 1 has been put to bed?? I think Fightingscot82 likes to point out my connection. I've said earlier I don't understand the tier system like everyone else. Ask Bruce or somebody else on campus if your feelings are hurt. I know youre a basketball guy is that your problem here?

Comment

A few questions....

1. Do we have an actual definition of what Tiering means?

2. Are all of Edinboro's Tier 1 sports compliant with the definition of Tiering?

3. Where does she fall in line, with pay vs other PSAC volleyball coaches & scholarships dollars, support staff, budget, etc?

4. Should Clarion's Jen Mills buy a beach house or a condo if this silliness comes to fruition?
                    These were my original questions..... You're ship is taking on water, you fail to remember how this started. We compared the VB & wrestling program's accomplishments. Then I pointed out that MBB wasn't on par with what you are claiming. Then I brought actual facts of the EEOC to the table. What should I do next?

Comment

So you said the EEOC doesn't mean much. Ok. What about the PASSHE report? What claims did I make about MBB? So MBB isn't compliant with being tier 1? Idk you tell me.

Comment

I'm not the one diverting resources from MBB. Or are they on par with Tier 1's and they just haven't produced? Idk you tell me. Your link actually explains the VB argument but against MBB...is that what you wanted to do?

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                          According to you... this is a one sided, skewed story....full of inaccuracies and misinformation. Statements implying direct knowledge. Now its I know nothing.. lets see both sides of the story?
                          You really read into things. Maybe you should step back and look at the situation objectively. All lawsuits are one sided skewed points of view.

Comment

I've repeatedly asked the definition of Tier 1. You said you don't know the definition, but insist on using it as a point of reference. Let's say this, what if they introduced women's golf as a Tier 1 sport tomorrow.

D2 golf has a 3.6 scholarship limit, would you be advocating the golf coach be making $100,000 a year? In 2007, the average D1 women's golf coach made $60,574.....

Comment

I've repeatedly asked the definition of Tier 1. You said you don't know the definition, but insist on using it as a point of reference. Let's say this, what if they introduced women's golf as a Tier 1 sport tomorrow.
                              D2 golf has a 3.6 scholarship limit, would you be advocating the golf coach be making $100,000 a year? In 2007, the average D1 women's golf coach made $60,574.....
                              I can't understand your incessant focus on defining "Tier 1" sports at Edinboro. First of all, we know it exists. Secondly, we know which sports are designated Tier 1. Even if you can't get a definition (have you contacted the school?) we know, at a minimum, these sports are given a special significance over other sports offered. I don't see the relevance of your question.

Comment

Isn't the Tier definition the key to the case, though?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X