Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Title IX and Men's Sports

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Do you want to look at "history" or a certain epoch of history? That statement, taken literally, is not an informed statement.

"Pails (sp) in comparison to Edinboro...", give me a break. Nobody who truly knows the history of collegiate wrestling would make that statement, at least without qualifying it.
    Fair enough I may have gone overboard. They don't call Lock Haven Mat town for nothing. With that said in the last 23 years which is a fair age to use since most seniors are 23 years old I would say Boro is easily the better program. Again look at the schools who are continually better than Boro, who is on par, and who Boro is better than. Look at the names what other athletic program can say they achieve that kind of success against programs of that stature.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      He must either have an axe to grind or some personal reason to be so consistently digging at wrestling. Tim Flynn's national resume at Edinboro:

Year NCAA Finish
      1997-98 15th
      1998-99 18th
      1999-00 15th
      2000-01 12th
      2001-02 14th
      2002-03 24th
      2003-04 24th
      2004-05 28th
      2005-06 8th
      2006-07 9th
      2007-08 T21st
      2008-09 6th
      2009-10 16th
      2010-11 T23rd
      2011-12 17th
      2012-13 14th
      2013-14 5th
      2014-15 3rd
      2015-16 T32nd
      2016-17 20th
      I must be struggling to explain. I brought up wrestling when people like you were talking about average salaries in the psac (and she should be happy). Success. Revenue. I have no problems with wrestling. Wrestling at Edinboro is low hanging fruit when brought up in the context of salary averages. From there I was surprised with the numbers I found in the other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
        D1 also going against Big 10/Big 12 schools and other major schools that the Volleyball team does not go against.
        And in that context Edinboro finished in the top 10 the first 3 years in D1. What other sport would that be possible? And again I'm not saying that's not impressive. But they also pay the coaches like Big ten schools, not like the other psac d1's...and they have basically the full allotment of scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
          I must be struggling to explain. I brought up wrestling when people like you were talking about average salaries in the psac (and she should be happy). Success. Revenue. I have no problems with wrestling. Wrestling at Edinboro is low hanging fruit when brought up in the context of salary averages. From there I was surprised with the numbers I found in the other areas.
          Gotcha

Comment

I was saying if Edinboro is out of compliance...wrestling paying big ten money as a mid major D1 has to be a part of it. Wrestling was never the target it was a sport the numbers were out of balance with avg psac wrestling salaries and it was arguing against ppl on here.

If the dual meets don't matter why not throw boats at the best hs kids in the country at 2-4 wt classes and finish high at nationals if they can finish high? Also, you'd think the big ten advantage isn't the same as it would sound in a sport with 9.9 scholarships as it would be in one with 85. The big money gets kept out a little with that low of a number. I read some people want it raised to 15 and I'd think that would put Edinboro at a big disadvantage.
            Last edited by EdinboroFB; 02-14-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

11 programs have won wrestling nat'l titles. 5 of those have won 1x. So 6 programs have basically won all but 5 wrestling nat'l titles.

Only the Big ten has a full conference of wrestling - out of the "power 5" conferences. ACC 6 "full" members, Pac 12 - 3 full members, big 12 - 4, SEC -0 ??.

Only 9.9 scholarships and not a lot of big program interest. Big ten HC salary avg. was 150k as of 2016. I guess that's some of why a psac athletic program can compete at the d1 level. Probably basically impossible in any other sport

Comment

I asked quite a while ago, do we know the definition of Tiering & do all of the Tier 1 sports fall in line with the definition?

If you actually read the lawsuit, wrestling, Bruce, & some athletic administrator seem to be the target. I read the thing 3 times, she only seems to be asking for money, nothing to help her program? It was actually entertaining, her playing accomplishments were more prevalent than her coaching accomplishments.

It seems as if the ask, is only about her getting paid?

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
                  I asked quite a while ago, do we know the definition of Tiering & do all of the Tier 1 sports fall in line with the definition?

If you actually read the lawsuit, wrestling, Bruce, & some athletic administrator seem to be the target. I read the thing 3 times, she only seems to be asking for money, nothing to help her program? It was actually entertaining, her playing accomplishments were more prevalent than her coaching accomplishments.

It seems as if the ask, is only about her getting paid?

Where'd you read the actual lawsuit at? :)

Comment

The lawsuit is public record, the definition of Tiering is not.

I will ask a third time, what is the definition of Tiering and are all of Edinboro's Tier 1 sports compliant with that definition?

Comment

You got a link. I don't remember wrestling being named in it. I'd like to read it.

Comment

35. Plaintiff is the winningest volleyball coach in Edinboro University's history

Comment

I'm only seeing #35. Not a link to the site.

Comment

There are 25 pages of fun, check them all out!

Comment

Can you put the link up where you got it? i'd like to and I'm sure everyone on here would too

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                                I was saying if Edinboro is out of compliance...wrestling paying big ten money as a mid major D1 has to be a part of it. Wrestling was never the target it was a sport the numbers were out of balance with avg psac wrestling salaries and it was arguing against ppl on here.

If the dual meets don't matter why not throw boats at the best hs kids in the country at 2-4 wt classes and finish high at nationals if they can finish high? Also, you'd think the big ten advantage isn't the same as it would sound in a sport with 9.9 scholarships as it would be in one with 85. The big money gets kept out a little with that low of a number. I read some people want it raised to 15 and I'd think that would put Edinboro at a big disadvantage.
                                Again just providing you the background why there is a Big 10 advantage. In recent times entities cal Regional Training Centers (RTC) started popping up. These are organizations for olymipic asspiring wrestler that funded outside of the schools athletic budget, it must be 100% funded with outside money i.e "fundraising". I won't bore you with the details of what a RTC has to do to be sanctioned so to speak, but I will tell you the benefits for the college to have one. When a college is tied with a RTC, the school benefits by having additional workout partners (elite I might add) for the college team. This is a huge benefit as kids look at who their workout partners are during recruiting because you want to practice against the best you can. Take Penn St for example they have David Taylor and Nico Megaludis as part of their RTC. Recruits around those weight classes will choice PSU knowing those type of guys will push them to get better. That is where the Big 10 has the advantage as I beleive (can be wrong haven't verified) all of the teams have a RTC not to mention in many cases better facilities.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X