Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Title IX and Men's Sports

Maybe with the two perceived antagonists gone (Flynn and Baumgartner) things will settle down a bit. I've grown tired of the entitlement at a struggling organization. I'm of the old fashioned blood that if you want something you work harder until you get what you want. I also realize that while I'd much appreciate making more money, most days I'd take additional resources to do my job better than put more money in my paycheck.

Comment

I agree with you this time Fightingscot82 on most of your post. However Flynn was NOT an antagonist! Not really sure Bruce was either. And Bruce is far from a "bully". The VB Coach was jealous of other programs having better "perceived" funding than hers. However she didn't want the funding for her program, she wants it for herself! And that's a big difference. I can't wait for the real funding numbers from the University to come out. Flynn was always all about working "harder"- I think everyone here knows that! Sad that something and someone this jealous and selfish can have such a negative effect on an entire athletic department and the University. I'm not sure any other sport at Edinboro gets the housing allowance that the Vb team gets. Other coaches aren't complaining about that, they are just working harder,the Boro way --

Comment

What a waste of time this whole thread is.

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
          Supposedly, because he disagreed with it. I can only imagine the difference in dollars of those recommendations ..to this lawsuit....if it goes a certain way. I would imagine he bet his job on it.

But can we get a definition of tiering?

Comment

The only definition that matters now, is mediation.

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...X7qKQG4Og9F-z3

Comment

She better not lose this job ... never getting another NCAA coaching job again. This mess will (probably already has) land her on the unofficial coaching blackball list. No school would want the potential headache over volleyball -- no offense to volleyball.

Comment

Well, interesting..... I wonder if we will ever find out Edinboro scholarship numbers vs the other PSAC volleyball programs? I'd also be curious as to where Edinboro funded it's Tier 1 sports, in terms of percentage to the NCAA allotment per sport?

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
                    Well, interesting..... I wonder if we will ever find out Edinboro scholarship numbers vs the other PSAC volleyball programs? I'd also be curious as to where Edinboro funded it's Tier 1 sports, in terms of percentage to the NCAA allotment per sport?
                    I think you hit what I believe to be the true comparison. Whatever sport Edinboro claims to be Tier 1 they need to have realistic comparisons to that same sport because not all sports are created equal. Budgets, salaries, and scholarships should be in the upper half it not the upper third of the conference (or PSAC West). Where I work I know athletics first compares to the conference but our national sports: basketball, hockey, lacrosse are compared on a national level. To me the only sports that seem to fit that latter description are cross country and wrestling. Maybe women's basketball.
                    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Grant-in-aid equivalencies from 2015-16:
                      California 5.3
                      Clarion 6.2
                      East Stroudsburg 2.5
                      Edinboro 6.4
                      Gannon 6.4
                      IUP 2.2
                      Kutztown 2.6
                      Lock Haven 1.1
                      Maercyhurst 5.8
                      Millersville 1.2
                      UPJ 4.7
                      Seton Hill 5.2
                      Shippensburg 2.9
                      Slippery Rock 2.6
                      West Chester 1.6

Her salary went from $64K in 2016 to $73K in 2017 which is a 14% increase.
                      Edinboro's volleyball record went from 25-8 .757 to 22-10 .687 in 2017 which is a 9% decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        She better not lose this job ... never getting another NCAA coaching job again. This mess will (probably already has) land her on the unofficial coaching blackball list. No school would want the potential headache over volleyball -- no offense to volleyball.
                        She could probably get an assistant job at a lot of major programs. It could be an unspoken black mark for her but in the world of women's athletics it would probably be less so. And she didn't lose.

Comment

Hey, I don't claim to be no legal scholar here but it seems Sobeleski has already won this thing. The wrestling coach and his staff have moved on to another university, the AD has been moved into a made up position (Image that, one of the USA's most decorated Olympians forced out of the athletics dept.) and this will likely impact the funding formulae in the athletic department greatly.

Edinboro, The PASSHE and Baumgartner himself are all on the defensive. Edinboro and the PASSHE are now forced to legitimize the denial of that which they previously approved! That's a big conflict.

These claims of "governmental immunity" for the state and "qualified immunity" by Baumgartner seem like an admission that they are not in the right but simply the law doesn't apply to them. I don't think the immunity thing will fly because you're dealing with Sobeleski's constitutional rights. That's what it's all about and probably supersedes any "immunity" considerations.

I think Sobeleski holds the upper hand in the mediation currently going on. She can get favorable terms out of it and if that doesn't happen she can move this to a higher court.
                          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Perhaps they should argue, "at the rate in which you are funded & your lack of success, your salary was more along the lines of a charitable donation, than a Title IV violation"

We always question, "with the resources, how isn't Gannon football, better?" It would appear Edinboro volleyball is Gannon or Seton Hill Football?

Comment

Perhaps they should argue, "at the rate in which you are funded & your lack of success, your salary was more along the lines of a charitable donation, than a Title IV violation"

We always question, "with the resources, how isn't Gannon football, better?" It would appear Edinboro volleyball is Gannon or Seton Hill Football?
                              That's irrelevant to the case. That only inputs your own biases to it. And it's Title IX not Title IV.

Comment

[QUOTE=iupgroundhog;2205610]Hey, I don't claim to be no legal scholar here but it seems Sobeleski has already won this thing. The wrestling coach and his staff have moved on to another university, the AD has been moved into a made up position (Image that, one of the USA's most decorated Olympians forced out of the athletics dept.) and this will likely impact the funding formulae in the athletic department greatly.

WHEN Will you people get it? The Wresting coach and his staff did NOT move on becasue of this! Are you going to say the Tennis and Lacrosse Coaches move on because of this too? Seriously people, c'mon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X