Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

I think this is way to complex for the NCAA, but you need to look at this game and the attendance around it as a series of small bites. There is no silver bullet solution that is going to "fix" attendance in one fell swoop so you have to do/pick things/locations that move the needle in small increments and hope that at the end of the day you do enough of those things to the point the needle has moved significantly. Things I would think would cater to pockets of potential fans:

Must haves:

1. Location - You need a location that is easily accessible to most of the country. Interstates are a must and all major and discount airlines need to fly there from multiple locations.

2. The Game Outside the Game - A destination location that gives attendees something to do outside of the game. The more things the area has, the better. Need to give fans an excuse to attend outside of the game itself.

3. Weather - Some football diehards love football in the rain, sleet and snow...But you are playing to a larger audience if the game is played were the weather is warm and sunny.

4. Experienced Tourist Board - An experienced and engaged tourist board can be incredibly helpful in marketing the game and enlisting local sponsors. Tourist locations live on "discounts" and the tourist board can/will market your event to the local community which will result in all manner of cost saving discounts on everything from hotel rooms to tourist attractions to dining.

I know it is outside of the NCAA's way of doing business, but they need to approach this whole process differently. Instead of simply asking all interested locations to bid on the game and picking the highest bidder, they need to select several locations were they think the game should be, do site visits to meet with local officials, view the venues and get a gauge of what the city can do for the NCAA. It can be argued that this game draws over 10,000 out of towners to a particular city. That's not small potatoes even to the most seasoned tourist location. Cities like Orlando, Vagas and San Antonio (Etc) would probably do quite a bit to get the event and the $'s that the fans bring. NCAA is approaching this like they are asking people to bid on a porta potty contract when they should be approaching it as we have this MILLION DOLLAR plus nugget of gold we want to give to the city that can do the most for us and our fans.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
      I don't get the bashing. My experience with the MIAA is they ARE passionate about football and the chance of bigger crowds was more likely. So, the only folks to be mad at is Sporting KC. They suck, and have created a ridiculous situation.
      +1
      Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

https://youtu.be/kaJL052qt2s

Comment

Don't know why Finley Stadium in Chattanooga isn't considered. It is a football field, it is in a centrally located moderate weather city and it hosted the the FCS championship from '97-09. If Dallas hadn't decided to go all in, the game would likely still be there. I'm confused.

Comment

Heck, thanks NCAA (fill in your favorite acronym). Geesh, at this short of a notice, they might as well take it back to Florence. At least we know they could handle it. But at this short of a notice, stadium and/or city budgets have been set.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I think this is way to complex for the NCAA, but you need to look at this game and the attendance around it as a series of small bites. There is no silver bullet solution that is going to "fix" attendance in one fell swoop so you have to do/pick things/locations that move the needle in small increments and hope that at the end of the day you do enough of those things to the point the needle has moved significantly. Things I would think would cater to pockets of potential fans:

Must haves:

1. Location - You need a location that is easily accessible to most of the country. Interstates are a must and all major and discount airlines need to fly there from multiple locations.

2. The Game Outside the Game - A destination location that gives attendees something to do outside of the game. The more things the area has, the better. Need to give fans an excuse to attend outside of the game itself.

3. Weather - Some football diehards love football in the rain, sleet and snow...But you are playing to a larger audience if the game is played were the weather is warm and sunny.

4. Experienced Tourist Board - An experienced and engaged tourist board can be incredibly helpful in marketing the game and enlisting local sponsors. Tourist locations live on "discounts" and the tourist board can/will market your event to the local community which will result in all manner of cost saving discounts on everything from hotel rooms to tourist attractions to dining.

I know it is outside of the NCAA's way of doing business, but they need to approach this whole process differently. Instead of simply asking all interested locations to bid on the game and picking the highest bidder, they need to select several locations were they think the game should be, do site visits to meet with local officials, view the venues and get a gauge of what the city can do for the NCAA. It can be argued that this game draws over 10,000 out of towners to a particular city. That's not small potatoes even to the most seasoned tourist location. Cities like Orlando, Vagas and San Antonio (Etc) would probably do quite a bit to get the event and the $'s that the fans bring. NCAA is approaching this like they are asking people to bid on a porta potty contract when they should be approaching it as we have this MILLION DOLLAR plus nugget of gold we want to give to the city that can do the most for us and our fans.
              Not specifically picking on you, but your post is just the most recent to mention it. I don't understand the airport access argument. We went through this when locations were changing last time. How many people who attend the D2 title game are actually flying in for it? The player's parents sometimes, and maybe some straggler fans? I mean we get 5,000 people at these games, the overwhelming majority of which are driving there. I don't think being near an airport hub makes a difference at all. That is appealing to what, less than a thousand people for each game? And that is being generous, I think. If people are driving there, which I believe most do, then they're going to be there regardless of what kind of interstate system is around. Alright, rant over. Haha.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
                Heck, thanks NCAA (fill in your favorite acronym). Geesh, at this short of a notice, they might as well take it back to Florence. At least we know they could handle it. But at this short of a notice, stadium and/or city budgets have been set.

Comment

Okay, whoever said Texas is right...Texas will draw football fans...the City of Frisco has hosted the FCS championship game since 2011 or 2012...and they have their new Frisco Bowl, SMU got their teeth kicked in by someone last year...

Texas has HS venues that put some FCS venues to shame...Allen Eagle Stadium, the new palace (not what they really call it) in McKinney, the Katy ISD thing, and of course, who can forget the Star...a completely incredible venue, that holds 12K fans, and it is climate controlled...who cares if it is raining that day in December, I am going from the parking garage to my seat...along with a big stupid tray of nachos and a Dr. Pepper in a Dak Prescot cup...

Football, any kind of football is king in Texas...give the natives a game to watch and they will come watch it...if I had a vote, I would go with Frisco, and probably the Star over Toyota, they are about 5 miles away from each other on the Dallas North Tollway, and figure 30 minutes from DFW, about the same from Dallas Love Field. But lots of stuff to do in the DFW area, all you non-Texans could go to the stockyards in FT. Worth, get some boots, then take a tour of the Star or Jerry World, eat at any kind of restaurant you want to, catch the Cowboys on Sunday, and fly back home.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                    The Tacoma Dome. Indoors. Hosted IAA games in the 80s.
                    I was thinking that too and it is where CWU won its NAIA national title and hosts the state finals for HS's. I was thinking of it more though as a knock on WWU dropping football!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                        Well...The NCAA did select KC so they do bare some of the blame.

Comment

Well...The NCAA did select KC so they do bare some of the blame.
                          That's reaching. Do victims share some of the blame for picking the location they get victimized at?

Oh Bob got robbed, well it's partially his fault for being at that movie theater for a late night movie.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                            Not specifically picking on you, but your post is just the most recent to mention it. I don't understand the airport access argument. We went through this when locations were changing last time. How many people who attend the D2 title game are actually flying in for it? The player's parents sometimes, and maybe some straggler fans? I mean we get 5,000 people at these games, the overwhelming majority of which are driving there. I don't think being near an airport hub makes a difference at all. That is appealing to what, less than a thousand people for each game? And that is being generous, I think. If people are driving there, which I believe most do, then they're going to be there regardless of what kind of interstate system is around. Alright, rant over. Haha.
                            I have to agree with your point. That's my major reason of being down on the Texas of FLA locations. Maybe because it's because of the region I live in, but I too agree that the game might pick up a couple thousand more if driving to it is reasonable. Flying, especially on short notice, is so costly to many a D2 fan.

As mentioned above, that Chatt site has some real advantages. Not sure what D2 team/conf might be willing to submit that though.

Comment

Must haves:

This should matter basically -0-. Only consideration for fans should be the ability to get there and staying overnight. The number of fans that do anything outside of attending the game is so minute it is not worth the time.

Also, the NCAA is not going to spend time travelling to locations that do not have an interest in hosting. Thus the bid process. I will continue to beat the the drum that D2 is a niche sport. It means 1MMX more to us fans here than it does to 99.9% of sports fans in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                                I have to agree with your point. That's my major reason of being down on the Texas of FLA locations. Maybe because it's because of the region I live in, but I too agree that the game might pick up a couple thousand more if driving to it is reasonable. Flying, especially on short notice, is so costly to many a D2 fan.

As mentioned above, that Chatt site has some real advantages. Not sure what D2 team/conf might be willing to submit that though.
                                I agree that drivability is more important than airport access, but the airport is a nice bonus for those who can afford to make last minute flight arrangements.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X