Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, AR is in the running!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
      There have been several games in South Texas.
      True...but they were in Longview...nothing to do in Longview...they do have a library. Then Wichita Falls was another choice...sorry nothing there either. And the best...McAllen...I can't imagine anything that would draw record crowds like a lovely weekend in a border town. The best thing about McAllen is that it is not too far from South Padre Island.

There are some cities in Texas with tourist attractions. You have the DFW area...which has an excellent stadium, many entertainment venues, and a hub airport and major interstate access. In fact, I would limit the Texas search to the I-35 corridor. Austin and San Antonio are on that. All three are good travel destinations. Though, I would suggest if you are looking at San Antonio or Austin to consider San Marcos. Texas State (formerly D2's Southwest Texas State) has a nice stadium...there are significant food and drink venues...it is 30 minutes from Austin or San Antonio and lots of hotel space.
      Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Getting more time between the semis and the game would probably help attendance some. I know that some people would find it difficult to get off work with less than a week's notice.

It would seem to me that an ideal location would bein Tennessee or Kentucky. Maybe Memphis or Louisville.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          How many of you that support this idea are generally taking random vacations the week before Christmas?
          Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          But you can ask the same thing about having the game in KC (or Florence, or OKC, or Tacoma)...how many are generally taking random vacations the week before Christmas to go to a place just to watch a football game?

Is putting the game in a tourist destination city going to insure 18,000 rabid DII fans show up? Probably not. But does it have a chance to move the attendance needle more so than a cold climate game were the prospect of snow and bad weather is a real possibility? I think so. Some disagree and believe there is nothing that can (or should) be done to try and improve attendance. Short of "giving up" I think we should at least try something we haven't really ever had...our NC game is a tourist destination location (not just a warm location). If that doesn't work, we can all truly throw our hands up and give up.
          It's not about "vacation", to me anyway, but it is about travel. I believe more people would fly if they could get a better last minute fare, but that will only happen to a destination that thrives on visitors. Instead, most people are stuck with driving because the cost of flying last minute is outrageous.

Brandon, you mentioned the Cowboys facility as your solution, which I think is a great idea. I hope someone works to make that happen. Still, Dallas, just like Denver, is less likely to have viable last minute deals. But, it would help with the drive travel. I'm with boatcapt, though, and think that an Orlando or Vegas should be at least thought through.

My $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            But you can ask the same thing about having the game in KC (or Florence, or OKC, or Tacoma)...how many are generally taking random vacations the week before Christmas to go to a place just to watch a football game?

Is putting the game in a tourist destination city going to insure 18,000 rabid DII fans show up? Probably not. But does it have a chance to move the attendance needle more so than a cold climate game were the prospect of snow and bad weather is a real possibility? I think so. Some disagree and believe there is nothing that can (or should) be done to try and improve attendance. Short of "giving up" I think we should at least try something we haven't really ever had...our NC game is a tourist destination location (not just a warm location). If that doesn't work, we can all truly throw our hands up and give up.
            I have no problem with what you wrote here.

I think what people (including myself) fear is that it could also backfire and result in a net loss in attendance. Being generous, you might pick up 100 extra who were enticed by the vacation destination but you could also lose 1,000 who would have driven to Florence but won't drive to Miami.

I can't recall a single post advocating a vacation destination from someone who has attended the championship games, but I'm sure at least one has to exist.

Comment

As I said in the chat the other night, time is the biggest obstacle.

With short notice, you have to get a "yes" from the following in a very short order to pull off a trip five days from now:

- Wife has to say yes.
              - Boss has to say yes.
              - Schedule has to say yes.
              - Bank account has to say yes.
              - Friends/travel partners have to say yes.
              - Etc.

It's a lot of things that have to fall into place in less than 24 hours or most people simply abandon the idea and say they'll watch on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                It's not about "vacation", to me anyway, but it is about travel. I believe more people would fly if they could get a better last minute fare, but that will only happen to a destination that thrives on visitors. Instead, most people are stuck with driving because the cost of flying last minute is outrageous.

Brandon, you mentioned the Cowboys facility as your solution, which I think is a great idea. I hope someone works to make that happen. Still, Dallas, just like Denver, is less likely to have viable last minute deals. But, it would help with the drive travel. I'm with boatcapt, though, and think that an Orlando or Vegas should be at least thought through.

My $0.02.
                I just experimented with flight to Vegas. I live four miles from MCI so flights are easier for me than most. Anyway.

If I were scheduling a trip to Las Vegas for Friday and coming back on Sunday, the cheapest fare I could find was $569. As an individual, I think I'd choose to fly at that price. If I had a family, I don't know that spending $2,000 on flights alone right before Christmas would happen.

I do not know if flights around Christmas are less expensive to Las Vegas but I wanted to emulate a short-notice flight to that location.

Comment

I just experimented with flight to Vegas. I live four miles from MCI so flights are easier for me than most. Anyway.

If I were scheduling a trip to Las Vegas for Friday and coming back on Sunday, the cheapest fare I could find was $569. As an individual, I think I'd choose to fly at that price. If I had a family, I don't know that spending $2,000 on flights alone right before Christmas would happen.

I do not know if flights around Christmas are less expensive to Las Vegas but I wanted to emulate a short-notice flight to that location.
                  Out of Minny via Suncounty for the same dates was $200
                  National Championships Are Cool!!!

Comment

I can get to Vegas, flight and hotel for 2 people for $593.

Comment

The deadline to submit a bid is next Monday, Sept. 17 with a site to be chosen shortly thereafter. Then we can have a whole new thread about how the NCAA made a horrible choice. :wink:

Comment

As I said in the chat the other night, time is the biggest obstacle.

With short notice, you have to get a "yes" from the following in a very short order to pull off a trip five days from now:

- Wife has to say yes.
                        - Boss has to say yes.
                        - Schedule has to say yes.
                        - Bank account has to say yes.
                        - Friends/travel partners have to say yes.
                        - Etc.

It's a lot of things that have to fall into place in less than 24 hours or most people simply abandon the idea and say they'll watch on tv.
                        I'll add to that........
                        - Schedules of kids in school and sports have to say yes.

I'm a rabid fan, and the years where I thought CWU had a chance I was either broke, unforgivable work schedule, expensive options, and/or no fans to go with. I hate to say it, but there will always be more reasons to say no than yes....... but I will always try to make that yes decision.

Thanks to UC Davis 2002, Grand Valley 2007, NW Missouri 2009, and Commerce 2017 I've never had to make that last minute decision.......dammmmmit, now I'm pi$$ed off.

Comment

Quick search out of ICT would be about $440; I'm sure I could get it quite a bit lower if I actually spent the time. It'd probably have to be under $400 to make it worth it to fly to a champ game and I'd stay in the absolute cheapest motel and eat mcdonald's.

Comment

Brooks Stadium in Myrtle Beach / Conway SC, home of Coastal Carolina.

https://goccusports.com/sports/2018/...dium-html.aspx

Usually pretty nice weather (except this week!) in December.

Tons of nice hotels with very low off season rates.

Lots of restaurants and entertainment.

Easy to fly in and out of.

Charter fishing.

Beaches

Golf

Comment

No I'm not saying they will automatically take a weeks leave without notice one week before Christmas. What I'm saying is that more people will probably be inclined to take that last minute leave if there is something other than a 3 hour football game. As I said, it probably won't push the attendance needle to 18,000 but it might push attendance more than the current venue or another non-destination location.

As for cheap airfare, doesn't get much cheaper than Orlando...EVEN last minute airfare. I know it's an imprecise comparison but I can book a flight on line for this coming weekend from Buffalo to Orland round trip for $78.00. Yea, If I wait until Thursday to book the flight it goes up to $135.00 R/T and that sucks...but $135 is still pretty good given that it costs that much if not more to drive 20 hours and eat highway food. Obviously that's one location and there will be cities were the cost is considerably more but by and large, you're going to get pretty good airfaires to a destination location from most places...even a week out from your travel date.

Concerning weather moving the game to a tourist destination might back fire and reduce attendance. Could that happen? Sure, I suppose but it doesn't seem like the NCAA is terribly worried about attendance at the game anyway so having 3,000 attendance for one contract cycle probably wouldn't bother them much.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                                Brooks Stadium in Myrtle Beach / Conway SC, home of Coastal Carolina.

https://goccusports.com/sports/2018/...dium-html.aspx

Usually pretty nice weather (except this week!) in December.

Tons of nice hotels with very low off season rates.

Lots of restaurants and entertainment.

Easy to fly in and out of.

Charter fishing.

Beaches

Golf
                                Yes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X