Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    You're probably not going to make many friends here with THAT attitude! EVERYONE "in the know" KNOWS the game must be in the Midwest!!!

Hahahahaha!!!!

Comment

I like the Little Rock idea for the future, but I doubt local interest down there could be raised at all. Heck UALR had a real contender in the D1 bball tourney a couple of years ago and nobody in LR even noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        The only year in Kansas City the game was played that could even be considered a negative was 2016 with the snow. The 2015 game was incredible and the two others were good.

I have been to 15 championship games and the reaction from the kids for KC was great.
        Just looking at the attendance records the games were mostly sub 10,000 attendance for most years AFTER 1995 in both Braly and KC, with 2015 having 16K.

When PSU put in their bid, they were going to use the suites on the west side for media.

Washburn doesn't have much space and they only have that small bad to shoot in. I assume ESPN would broadcast from the box to the left of the print media.
        Any info on who has submitted bids thus far?
        Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by wgsportsphotos View Post
          There are MANY places that could host the D2 NC game. We have to stop being boxed into thinking that it has to be in the midwest region. I have covered the NAIA national championship game for over a decade. The last several years it has been held in Daytona Beach, FL on the same weekend as D2 NC game. They have gotten a great turnout at those game. Students galore with bands and parents tailgating. And yes, even some regular fans making there trip to cheer on their teams, like Southern Oregon, Marion (IN), St. Francis (IN), Baker (KS). These folks travelled and LOVED the game being in warm weather. Yes, right before Christmas and far away from their home base. The idea that it has to be close to the midwest is ridiculous. The KC experiment was a debacle. From horrible weather to have to have it moved now. Bury the KC and Missouri, Kansas idea and move on.
          I was willing to believe your comments about Daytona, but when I started doing research......

NAIA Championship Game in Daytona Beach

2017 - 4,432 & 63 degrees (highest attendance with a team from Georgia in the game)
          2016 - 2,500 & 81 degrees
          2015 - 3,500 & 63 degrees
          2014 - 1,941 & 75 degrees

In comparison, those same years:

D2 Championship Game in Kansas City, KS

2017 - 4,259 & 61 degrees
          2016 - 9,576 & 32 degrees
          2015 - 16,181 & 54 degrees
          2014 - 6,762 & 45 degrees

Dayton four year average: 3,093 & 70 degrees
          KC four year average: 9,194 & 48 degrees

In addition, the NAIA has an off week between the semifinals and the championship.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
            Just looking at the attendance records the games were mostly sub 10,000 attendance for most years AFTER 1995 in both Braly and KC, with 2015 having 16K.

Any info on who has submitted bids thus far?
            I don't know a thing. It's going to be very interesting. A year to remember for sure.

Comment

The only year in Kansas City the game was played that could even be considered a negative was 2016 with the snow. The 2015 game was incredible and the two others were good.

I have been to 15 championship games and the reaction from the kids for KC was great.
              Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Well I'm attempting to be intellectually honest that some could consider that to be a negative. The "debacle" comments were ridiculous, especially after all the praise about Daytona.

Comment

Well I'm attempting to be intellectually honest that some could consider that to be a negative. The "debacle" comments were ridiculous, especially after all the praise about Daytona.
                  I thought I also read that the snow game aka "debacle" was one of the better ratings wise televised games.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                    I thought I also read that the snow game aka "debacle" was one of the better ratings wise televised games.
                    Heck what happened to football being a "cold weather sport." When I was a kid, I always liked watching snow games on TV, it always happened when after the season was over so no practice. But one day I want to attend a game played in the snow.
                    Last edited by UCObluejay; 09-13-2018, 09:52 AM. Reason: Didn't mean to include all those quotes
                    Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                      Heck what happened to football being a "cold weather sport." When I was a kid, I always liked watching snow games on TV, it always happened when after the season was over so no practice. But one day I want to attend a game played in the snow.
                      I understand the desire of the people in the south to play the championship game in temperatures they're used to. Anything above freezing is OK with me for a championship game.

Comment

Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

One other thing about the "debacle" comment. The attendance record for the championship game was set in Kansas City. Hardly a debacle.

Comment

I was willing to believe your comments about Daytona, but when I started doing research......

NAIA Championship Game in Daytona Beach

2017 - 4,432 & 63 degrees (highest attendance with a team from Georgia in the game)
                            2016 - 2,500 & 81 degrees
                            2015 - 3,500 & 63 degrees
                            2014 - 1,941 & 75 degrees

In comparison, those same years:

D2 Championship Game in Kansas City, KS

2017 - 4,259 & 61 degrees
                            2016 - 9,576 & 32 degrees
                            2015 - 16,181 & 54 degrees
                            2014 - 6,762 & 45 degrees

Dayton four year average: 3,093 & 70 degrees
                            KC four year average: 9,194 & 48 degrees

In addition, the NAIA has an off week between the semifinals and the championship.

Very interesting detail right here. Changes the perspective on Florida a bit, since I think a lot of people would fly to Orlando (maybe?) to get to Daytona. I still think this is a promotional (or lack thereof) issue. I've never seen any promotion to go to a D2 Championship game, and we are on school mailing lists.

So why the significant drop in 2017?

Comment

One other thing about the "debacle" comment. The attendance record for the championship game was set in Kansas City. Hardly a debacle.
                              That's because one of the playing teams fans were a drive away from the game.:wink:
                              Yup, I'll keep beating that drum. Also, extend the time from the semi's to the NC to at least 2 weeks to allow for planning. FCS does it, I think D3 does it, why not D2?

Honestly, there are 2 issues.. fan and athletes. They aren't in opposition, but some solutions will favor the fan experience and others the players'. My gut says that many a player might give up a bit of the "player" experience to get more of their fans in the seats.. especially students. However, not every school has that large of a student body. Still, if there is a good crowd at a semi, that does show there is fan interest.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
                                Very interesting detail right here. Changes the perspective on Florida a bit, since I think a lot of people would fly to Orlando (maybe?) to get to Daytona. I still think this is a promotional (or lack thereof) issue. I've never seen any promotion to go to a D2 Championship game, and we are on school mailing lists.

So why the significant drop in 2017?
                                Well when evaluating Daytona we do have to realize that NAIA crowds are typically smaller anyway. But, the Florida attendance fallacy needed to be put to rest.

I 100% agree with you about promotion. I thought that was the weakest part of what was happening in KC. I think the folks in Florence knew about it because it had been there so long and because they could get so much local cooperation with the media to promote it. Advertisement probably costs 10x in Kansas City what it cost in Florence.

I think the drop in 2017 was because the participants were from so far away, which is why I don't think Florida would be successful. West Florida basically brought no one to Kansas City. I was also disappointed in the Commerce turnout. I was hoping for more from them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X