Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    No I'm not saying they will automatically take a weeks leave without notice one week before Christmas. What I'm saying is that more people will probably be inclined to take that last minute leave if there is something other than a 3 hour football game. As I said, it probably won't push the attendance needle to 18,000 but it might push attendance more than the current venue or another non-destination location.

As for cheap airfare, doesn't get much cheaper than Orlando...EVEN last minute airfare. I know it's an imprecise comparison but I can book a flight on line for this coming weekend from Buffalo to Orland round trip for $78.00. Yea, If I wait until Thursday to book the flight it goes up to $135.00 R/T and that sucks...but $135 is still pretty good given that it costs that much if not more to drive 20 hours and eat highway food. Obviously that's one location and there will be cities were the cost is considerably more but by and large, you're going to get pretty good airfaires to a destination location from most places...even a week out from your travel date.
    I call BS on this. A quick look on Kayak - the cheapest R/T for NEXT weekend (fly out Friday 9/21 fly back 9/23) from Buffalo to Orlando - the cheapest was $190 - that's with 10 days notice and it isn't in the Holiday Season where the airlines automatically jack up the prices.
    Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

No I'm not saying they will automatically take a weeks leave without notice one week before Christmas. What I'm saying is that more people will probably be inclined to take that last minute leave if there is something other than a 3 hour football game. As I said, it probably won't push the attendance needle to 18,000 but it might push attendance more than the current venue or another non-destination location.

As for cheap airfare, doesn't get much cheaper than Orlando...EVEN last minute airfare. I know it's an imprecise comparison but I can book a flight on line for this coming weekend from Buffalo to Orland round trip for $78.00. Yea, If I wait until Thursday to book the flight it goes up to $135.00 R/T and that sucks...but $135 is still pretty good given that it costs that much if not more to drive 20 hours and eat highway food. Obviously that's one location and there will be cities were the cost is considerably more but by and large, you're going to get pretty good airfaires to a destination location from most places...even a week out from your travel date.

Concerning weather moving the game to a tourist destination might back fire and reduce attendance. Could that happen? Sure, I suppose but it doesn't seem like the NCAA is terribly worried about attendance at the game anyway so having 3,000 attendance for one contract cycle probably wouldn't bother them much.
      Well at least admit that you want the game in Orlando because you live there. The rest of us posters who mention KC, OKC, (where it actually has a high 60 in December these days trust me I live HERE), Frisco, and Tacoma will admit it, there is no shame in that.

Honest question: What stadiums does Orlando have that won't be too big to host the game? UCF's stadium has the Cure Bowl, Camping World already has 2 bowl games, and both would make any DII crowd look small. Do they have a high school stadium that could hold 10-15K?
      Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
        I call BS on this. A quick look on Kayak - the cheapest R/T for NEXT weekend (fly out Friday 9/21 fly back 9/23) from Buffalo to Orlando - the cheapest was $190 - that's with 10 days notice and it isn't in the Holiday Season where the airlines automatically jack up the prices.
        You're right...It is Cleveland and not Buffalo on Spirit Airlines and the price this weekend is $84.38. If you hurry you can book a departure from KC this Friday for Orlando returning Tuesday for $176.38. Want to leave from Denver? Book right now and return Wednesday and you can be in the city of the "Mouse House" for a cool $178.07. And those are fares with less than a weeks notice.

Prices do change and sometimes quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
          Well at least admit that you want the game in Orlando because you live there. The rest of us posters who mention KC, OKC, (where it actually has a high 60 in December these days trust me I live HERE), Frisco, and Tacoma will admit it, there is no shame in that.

Honest question: What stadiums does Orlando have that won't be too big to host the game? UCF's stadium has the Cure Bowl, Camping World already has 2 bowl games, and both would make any DII crowd look small. Do they have a high school stadium that could hold 10-15K?
          I just happen to live near Orlando so yes, if the game were here I would attend. But I have also advocated for San Antonio, Las Vegas and even Dallas (even though the thought of putting even one dollar in the pocket of Jerry makes me gag!!). In fact, right set of circumstances, I MIGHT attend the game if its in SA or LV even if my team isn't in it. Cold climate location and the chances of me attending are about as close to zero as you can get. If I happened to be in that city because of my job and the weather was nice, I MIGHT go to the game but that would be about the only way.

As for a stadium, there is Orlando City Stadium were the MLS Orlando FC play. Opened in 2016 and seats 18K.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            I just experimented with flight to Vegas. I live four miles from MCI so flights are easier for me than most. Anyway.

If I were scheduling a trip to Las Vegas for Friday and coming back on Sunday, the cheapest fare I could find was $569. As an individual, I think I'd choose to fly at that price. If I had a family, I don't know that spending $2,000 on flights alone right before Christmas would happen.

I do not know if flights around Christmas are less expensive to Las Vegas but I wanted to emulate a short-notice flight to that location.
            I did the same from PSC to LAS with leaving this Friday and returning on Sunday. Cost, $449. United though had it up at $660!!!!! I also decided to check from SEA as that's where most would fly out of from Ellensburg I'd think, the cost was actually more at $483 which I think is a bit interesting that the small city is cheaper than the large for the last minute flights.

That said, a drive to Vegas if you leave Thursday night after work and take just Friday and Monday off is doable too as it is a 15-16 hour drive from Ellensburg at just over 1,000 miles. You definitely wouldn't leave on Saturday driving for a Saturday game though.

Comment

You're right...It is Cleveland and not Buffalo on Spirit Airlines and the price this weekend is $84.38. If you hurry you can book a departure from KC this Friday for Orlando returning Tuesday for $176.38. Want to leave from Denver? Book right now and return Wednesday and you can be in the city of the "Mouse House" for a cool $178.07. And those are fares with less than a weeks notice.

Prices do change and sometimes quickly.
              Not sure why you feel the need to lie about something that is easily verified- round trip Cleveland to Orlando this weekend (leaving Friday and returning Sunday) is $187

Comment

Round trip / short notice, Cleveland to Orlando / Sanford FL $161.00

Round trip / short notice, Buffalo NY to Orlando / Sanford FL $204.00

www.allegiantair.com

Still would prefer Myrtle Beach SC

Comment

- Wife has to say yes.
                  Ok, you win... :wink:

Comment

I just experimented with flight to Vegas. I live four miles from MCI so flights are easier for me than most. Anyway.

If I were scheduling a trip to Las Vegas for Friday and coming back on Sunday, the cheapest fare I could find was $569. As an individual, I think I'd choose to fly at that price. If I had a family, I don't know that spending $2,000 on flights alone right before Christmas would happen.

I do not know if flights around Christmas are less expensive to Las Vegas but I wanted to emulate a short-notice flight to that location.
                    One of the issues with Las Vegas is that it is a great weekend location. Conventions go in on Mon and Leave Friday much of the time, but gamblers, partiers and leisure travelers often go in Thurs or Friday and leave Sunday.

So, last minute flights will be higher and hotels will often more than quadruple on Fri and Sat nights.
                    Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the research on the flights guy. I was using Southwest, fyi.

Comment

you might be able to get better air prices coning into dallas as there are two airports.

Comment

Allegiant is great if they have flights. But they usually only fly on certain days- for example your Cleveland/Orlando is only offered on Thursday and Sunday

Comment

One of the keys is to look for packages. Sometimes you pay for the hotel, the flight is greatly reduced, even 100% of the flight may be covered. This is especially true in places with lots of rack space, like Orlando and Las Vegas.
                            Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                              Not sure why you feel the need to lie about something that is easily verified- round trip Cleveland to Orlando this weekend (leaving Friday and returning Sunday) is $187
                              Dude...I actually went to the Spirit site and verified the flight price. Apparently you didn't. For some reason you want to "catch me in a lie" so bad that you are willing to lie yourself. Not sure why that is.

Comment

That might be true, but still at this late in the game, take it back to Florence, where they have a game plan already in place, having done it for a number of years. You don't want a last-minute logistics nightmare.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X