Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Judging by my experience in Florence, I think 5-10% is probably the average with the number being closer to 5% most years.
    Do you think that number changed in KC? RU counting the teams that would fly if the game was over 600 miles from them?

Comment

Game could be played in Alamo Stadium that is owned by San Antonio Intermediate School System. It had 35 million dollar renovations that were completed in 2014, has seating capacity of 23,000 big electronic score board modern locker rooms and media facilities. This stadium is everything Braly could have been but I understand price tag was too much for UNA and Florence to pick up.

NCAA past relationships with San Antonio as the city has hosted men and women D1 basketball regional, semi and final basketball games and it hosts Alamo Bowl ( Alamodome )

Prior to Incarnate Word and UTSA making decision to not stay in D2 San Antonio was thinking of bidding for D2 Football championship game.

Flights available to San Antonio or Austin which is a little over one hour north of SA.
      Sufficient hotel/motel space

While Republic of Texas is a huge state Texas A&M Kingsville is just an hour or so south of SA and if game is held there maybe close enough to entice other d2 school fans to go to SA to watch game.

Comment

neither am I, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          APU also has Ontario International Airport (ONT) as a viable option if they don't want to deal with the constant gridlock which plagues LAX on a near 24/7 basis.

The threshold for air vs. ground transport is actually 600 miles, but the GNAC teams would still be flying anyway. As I recall, TAMU-Commerce was just outside of the 600 mile radius and bused it to KC.
          Commerce flew to KC on Texas A&M Presidents private jet.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            APU also has Ontario International Airport (ONT) as a viable option if they don't want to deal with the constant gridlock which plagues LAX on a near 24/7 basis.

The threshold for air vs. ground transport is actually 600 miles, but the GNAC teams would still be flying anyway. As I recall, TAMU-Commerce was just outside of the 600 mile radius and bused it to KC.
            Thank you, but here are some miles to KC for the GNAC schools. SFU, 1972.5 miles. CWU, 1,730.3 miles. APU, 1,600 miles. To those saying flight doesn't matter except to 1% of attendees, for any of these schools to make the game this year or in the future it would be more 51% of attendees. We out here are used to east coast bias and every distance being short between cities all across the country that it carries. I mean, as I am in the same state I must be within 30 minutes to an hour of the Seattle metro area of course.
            Last edited by Wildcat Khan; 09-08-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Do you think that number changed in KC? RU counting the teams that would fly if the game was over 600 miles from them?
              It's so hard to tell because two of the four years were such a large contingent of Northwest fans. My guess is that some Shepherd fans flew in and only a small handful of UNA fans flew in. I'd say in 2015 and 2016, the fly in numbers were less than 1%.

Comment

I was looking forward to the long boring drive across Kansas, 8 hours of pure torcher. Getting to San Antonio or Dallas is not a problem with the speed limits in Texas being 75 mph ( they drive faster than that)! Dicks Sporting Goods Park in Denver would be nice. Seats 18,000 and 24 lighted practice fields that the teams could use.

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                  Grand Rapids, Michigan can handle everything you just said and then some. Doesn't matter that The Grand Valley State University is right in the GR backyard
                  I am sure it could, as could many of the D2 cities. But few could handle it all on less than a week's notice. If you have the time and inclination, most of these things can be overcome...but not in a few days after the finalist are named on Sat afternoon...and the teams start planning the drive/flights for a few days away.
                  Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

The NCAA has a bidding process years in advance for this championship. It's not going to be held on highest-ranked host sites. No need to even waste your energy typing about it.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                      Commerce flew to KC on Texas A&M Presidents private jet.

Comment

He has a big jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Judging by my experience in Florence, I think 5-10% is probably the average with the number being closer to 5% most years.
                          maybe that's because only a few of us r crazy enough to hop on that little turbo prop in tupelo

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
                            maybe that's because only a few of us r crazy enough to hop on that little turbo prop in tupelo
                            WE rule........at 5am

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                              He has a big jet.
                              That's what she said

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
                                That's what she said
                                I thought that the response would be "had a light on". Put some Steve Miller in for the catchy music song for last year's game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X