• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NC NOT in KC??

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Here's something I thought of.

Let's talk 2018 only.

Let's assume you are a player and have never played in a championship game before.

Would you rather:

1. Play at a stadium like The Star without much fanfare because you showed up the night before the game because of the lack of time to plan?

or

2. Play at Central Missouri's or Missouri Western's stadium, obviously nice D2 stadiums but not as nice as The Star, but you get to show up on Wednesday and have more pomp and circumstance?

I think that's the real question to be had for 2018.
    Just curious, why only UCM or MWSU? Are you thinking most of whatever else was already pre-planned for KC (hotels, etc) can just stay as-is in this scenario? Keeping it within a similar radius, what about Washburn?

Comment

This is not accurate.
      While not accurate, Marshall did make it to the national championship four times during a five-year window when the title game was in Huntington in the 1990s. Could easily be why the confusion is there. Same for Georgia Southern playing in the game twice in the three years it was in Statesboro before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        My bad. I could have sworn I've seen NCs held at the 1AA home team's stadium - Montana (or Montana State?), Marshall, etc. But hey my memory isn't the best.

Point remains though.
        Georgia Southern hosted and played in the championship a few times just like UNA. I'm sure that's what led to the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          Just curious, why only UCM or MWSU? Are you thinking most of whatever else was already pre-planned for KC (hotels, etc) can just stay as-is in this scenario? Keeping it within a similar radius, what about Washburn?
          Box that can accommodate ESPN and the media. UCM's would be the best in that regard. Also thinking what would look the best.

If you could plunk PSU's stadium and put it in Topeka I'd have put that as #1.

Comment

So it seems the old guard that was vocal about moving the game to KC from Florence are now saying that the game HAS to stay in KC because there just isn't time for any other location that could possibly mount the event on this short notice. That's rich.

Wonder what their reaction would be if the game had remained in Florence and for what ever reason Florence had said they couldn't host the game this year? Wonder if they would be advocating that the game remain in the Florence area because no other location would be able put the event on?

Comment

There are MANY places that could host the D2 NC game. We have to stop being boxed into thinking that it has to be in the midwest region. I have covered the NAIA national championship game for over a decade. The last several years it has been held in Daytona Beach, FL on the same weekend as D2 NC game. They have gotten a great turnout at those game. Students galore with bands and parents tailgating. And yes, even some regular fans making there trip to cheer on their teams, like Southern Oregon, Marion (IN), St. Francis (IN), Baker (KS). These folks travelled and LOVED the game being in warm weather. Yes, right before Christmas and far away from their home base. The idea that it has to be close to the midwest is ridiculous. The KC experiment was a debacle. From horrible weather to have to have it moved now. Bury the KC and Missouri, Kansas idea and move on.

Comment

Box that can accommodate ESPN and the media. UCM's would be the best in that regard. Also thinking what would look the best.

If you could plunk PSU's stadium and put it in Topeka I'd have put that as #1.
                I can't believe I'm saying this but...with it being a neutral site game and not needing to use the third floor suites, WU's set up might be better suited for the media than UCM's. Strictly talking from a media perspective both are better than Pitt State's set up now. They have no room for the media after taking up half the press box with videoboard control stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  So it seems the old guard that was vocal about moving the game to KC from Florence are now saying that the game HAS to stay in KC because there just isn't time for any other location that could possibly mount the event on this short notice. That's rich.

Wonder what their reaction would be if the game had remained in Florence and for what ever reason Florence had said they couldn't host the game this year? Wonder if they would be advocating that the game remain in the Florence area because no other location would be able put the event on?
                  I'm not sure where you got that. I believe the thought here is that hotels had already been secured in the KC area, and the infrastructure had already been set up for this year in KC. So for 2018, it makes sense to keep it in KC because not many areas are going to be able to coordinate all of that in three months. It would be easiest for everyone involved, including fans who already booked hotels (I know of quite a few who book their hotels at the beginning of the year and then cancel them when their team is eliminated) and all the companies involved with the game who have made arrangements already for this year's game.
                  2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                    I believe that 1AA used to have the highest remaining seed host the NC, up until just a few years ago. If you are wanting the most butts in the seats, this is the way.

If you want to try to make D2 something that it isn't - a nationally relevant endeavor - then by all means keep putting it in obscure places on soccer fields in a city with lots of hotels and airports.

It seems that - for one game each year - everyone wants to elevate D2 into something of national interest. That hasn't worked and it won't. D2 is a local interest niche. When you try to make D2 something that it's not, I think it is a bad look for D2 and doesn't serve the D2 fan base well.
                    Last edited by UNA_Texan; 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM.
                    Roar Lions, Charge On Chargers, Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Comment

Let's talk 2018 only.

Let's assume you are a player and have never played in a championship game before.

Would you rather:

1. Play at a stadium like The Star without much fanfare because you showed up the night before the game because of the lack of time to plan?

or

2. Play at Central Missouri's or Missouri Western's stadium, obviously nice D2 stadiums but not as nice as The Star, but you get to show up on Wednesday and have more pomp and circumstance?

Not sure why you think Frisco would be without fanfare or why the teams would have to show up the night before? If the game gets awarded there the teams will have as much time to plan as they do every year when they make the finals. Frisco has also been hosting the FCS Championship and has the infrastructure in place to make an event like this happen, with all the glitz and fanfare, even with 3 just months notice.

Comment

Originally posted by wgsportsphotos View Post
                        There are MANY places that could host the D2 NC game. We have to stop being boxed into thinking that it has to be in the midwest region. I have covered the NAIA national championship game for over a decade. The last several years it has been held in Daytona Beach, FL on the same weekend as D2 NC game. They have gotten a great turnout at those game. Students galore with bands and parents tailgating. And yes, even some regular fans making there trip to cheer on their teams, like Southern Oregon, Marion (IN), St. Francis (IN), Baker (KS). These folks travelled and LOVED the game being in warm weather. Yes, right before Christmas and far away from their home base. The idea that it has to be close to the midwest is ridiculous. The KC experiment was a debacle. From horrible weather to have to have it moved now. Bury the KC and Missouri, Kansas idea and move on.
                        You're probably not going to make many friends here with THAT attitude! EVERYONE "in the know" KNOWS the game must be in the Midwest!!!

Hahahahaha!!!!

Comment

Let's talk 2018 only.

Would you rather:

or

What is the pomp and circumstance you speak of? If these are events that play almost exclusively to DII teams and fans that happen to attend (pep rally, dinner, etc), why couldn't they be duplicated on short notice? Don't think there is a grand ticker-tape parade through the center of the city were the mayor gives the winning HC the "keys to the city", or something like that, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by wgsportsphotos View Post
                            The KC experiment was a debacle. From horrible weather to have to have it moved now. Bury the KC and Missouri, Kansas idea and move on.
                            The only year in Kansas City the game was played that could even be considered a negative was 2016 with the snow. The 2015 game was incredible and the two others were good.

I have been to 15 championship games and the reaction from the kids for KC was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                              I can't believe I'm saying this but...with it being a neutral site game and not needing to use the third floor suites, WU's set up might be better suited for the media than UCM's. Strictly talking from a media perspective both are better than Pitt State's set up now. They have no room for the media after taking up half the press box with videoboard control stuff.
                              When PSU put in their bid, they were going to use the suites on the west side for media.

Washburn doesn't have much space and they only have that small bad to shoot in. I assume ESPN would broadcast from the box to the left of the print media.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                                Not sure why you think Frisco would be without fanfare or why the teams would have to show up the night before? If the game gets awarded there the teams will have as much time to plan as they do every year when they make the finals. Frisco has also been hosting the FCS Championship and has the infrastructure in place to make an event like this happen, with all the glitz and fanfare, even with 3 just months notice.
                                That's not what the point was.

The committee coordinate, plan, and schedule events with the teams and work on this a year in advance. The likelihood that all the extra events can be scheduled with a short notice is not as likely. Without the extra events scheduled, there would be no need to come in three days early. We simply disagree on the ability to pull off the side events.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X