• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
      Bad at geography, great at Economics

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Rumors over the weekend, and that's all they are -- rumors, suggest Florida State has figured out some way to break the ACC grant of rights and that they and Clemson will be joining the Big Ten.

(I love realignment rumors :) )
        I wouldn't be stunned if FSU, Clemson, UNC and Virginia all end up in the SEC if the GOR deal gets figured out. SEC would be a better fit IMO.

Personally I hate all this realignment crap. id say thats why i like d2 so much more than d1 but if d2 schools had d1 fbs budgets theyd do it too

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Bad at geography, great at Economics
          Or, if you're George Kliavkoff (and, to a lesser extent, Larry Scott), bad at both.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I remember ~10 years ago when the PAC-10 was allegedly on the verge of poaching Texas+OU and making the Big 12 basically another Big East. Now there is no Big East and the PAC-Whatever is likely gonna die or turn into a Super MWC at best.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Or, if you're George Kliavkoff (and, to a lesser extent, Larry Scott), bad at both.
              It all started with Larry Scott, now the PAC is dead. Even if Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State sell out the name so the Mountain West teams can feel like they're Power 5 for an hour

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
                I remember ~10 years ago when the PAC-10 was allegedly on the verge of poaching Texas+OU and making the Big 12 basically another Big East. Now there is no Big East and the PAC-Whatever is likely gonna die or turn into a Super MWC at best.
                There still is a Big East, but not as an FBS conference. In fact, the current Big East is probably more analogous to the original basketball-focused Big East of the 1970s and 1980s before the powers that be who ran the Big East at the time thought that becoming a football conference was the best plan of action.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

For all I know, the Big 12 takes four PAC 12 schools and the remnants of the PAC 12 join the ACC. How’s that Oregon State-Wake Forest rivalry doing these days?
                  Guess I called it…get ready for that Cal-Boston College game in two years!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ford-additions

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

There still is a Big East, but not as an FBS conference. In fact, the current Big East is probably more analogous to the original basketball-focused Big East of the 1970s and 1980s before the powers that be who ran the Big East at the time thought that becoming a football conference was the best plan of action.
                    Bitd, the physicality of Big East bball was almost like football.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Bitd, the physicality of Big East bball was almost like football.
                      Especially when they tried six fouls instead of five:

https://johngasaway.com/2019/01/07/a...ith-six-fouls/

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Guess I called it…get ready for that Cal-Boston College game in two years!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ford-additions
                        Oh, the BCs and the Pitts and the Syracuses are going to be thrilled with that news...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
                          Maybe with Oregon State and Wazzu, but there is zero chance Stanford and Cal join the MWC.

Big 10, ACC, or Independent are the only outcomes for the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Maybe with Oregon State and Wazzu, but there is zero chance Stanford and Cal join the MWC.

Big 10, ACC, or Independent are the only outcomes for the latter.
                            I see the reports on the ACC looking into adding them but I just don't know why they would. California fans aren't tuning into 9 am games when there schools are out east for football, and they surely won't be tuning in at 3pm during a weekday basketball matchup.

Their best bet is independence, because they will never allow themselves to be a Mountain West affiliate. Big Ten clearly doesn't want them. Big 12 doesn't want them.

Comment

I see the reports on the ACC looking into adding them but I just don't know why they would. California fans aren't tuning into 9 am games when there schools are out east for football, and they surely won't be tuning in at 3pm during a weekday basketball matchup.

Their best bet is independence, because they will never allow themselves to be a Mountain West affiliate. Big Ten clearly doesn't want them. Big 12 doesn't want them.
                              Big Ten might want Stanford. They are really good academically, honestly they do have a solid overall athletic department and are part of a huge market. Better yet, the Cardinal might be enough of a carrot to entice Notre Dame should the ACC start crumbling.

Realistically, at this point, college football should just break away and let all the other sports go back to their original, geographical conferences.

Comment

I could see academic prestige being a reason. They have some heavy hitters like Duke, but adding Stanford and Cal would be huge.

But yes, in terms of athletic logistics, I just don't see it making sense. And I don't see the pair joining the Big XII for the same reason they won't join the MWC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X