Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    If true, this attitude from schools is ridiculous and shows any lack of urgency of the current situation.

I would venture to say that if this continues that the football schools will break away from the non-football playing members. Ohio Valley doesn't feel the lack of football schools in this conference like Alderson Broaddus does. Trevecca Nazarene does not feel the same as say Ohio Dominican does. Ursuline probably could care less about the football situation as say Findlay does.

My own opinion is that Ashland has been given enough time to make a decision. I am a little tired of this "we aren't ready now, but will look at it again a few years from now". One way or the other, it is time to move on. I am not interested in giving one school carte blanche in this situation. If they enter as a member, that attitude is likely to continue and I, for one, am not in favor of it.
    Hummm... football school's breaking away from non-football schools. THAT has a familiar ring to it!!!!

Comment

Except for a few items missing.....like one school in Wheeling had no football.....then finally formed football only to see the school broke as a convict after it starts football. Then that football conference's big dog jumps ship to PA and the school in VA jumps to its 4th conference in 8 years, and then that football conference brings in non-football playing school in Elkins. But hey, it makes all the sense in the world. I expect now we will soon see the long-standing member of the "WV good ole boy network" gets his non-football playing, no-campus living school into the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by WVIAC-F-EVER View Post
        MEC football success has more to do with having 11 or more schools sponsor the sport, limiting the amount of non conference games to 1 or less... for some stupid reason, football schools except shepherd, will schedule 11 games come hill or high water... as successful as the best MEC fb team has been lately in a playoff run, the lack of a 2nd team making playoffs or when they do IUP beating the snot out of them on their homefield shows the weakness........

take a look at nonconference losses in MEC... what is AB record vs MEC in football? Imagine if AB fb played Wvwc and GSC annually
        AB is 3-4 vs the MEC.

We are 1-1 against the University of Charleston....the one loss being the year UC made the playoffs

We are 2-2 against Glenville State.

We are 0-1 against Fairmont State.....the one loss being the year FSU made the playoffs.

Most of those losses were in the first four years of varsity football for AB. I don't think we have great football, but I would hold no fear in playing the likes of WV Wesleyan, Glenville, West Liberty, WV State, Concord, Wheeling Jesuit, Frostburg State and Urbana or any school there for that matter.

Comment

Except for a few items missing.....like one school in Wheeling had no football.....then finally formed football only to see the school broke as a convict after it starts football. Then that football conference's big dog jumps ship to PA and the school in VA jumps to its 4th conference in 8 years, and then that football conference brings in non-football playing school in Elkins. But hey, it makes all the sense in the world. I expect now we will soon see the long-standing member of the "WV good ole boy network" gets his non-football playing, no-campus living school into the conference.
          You're the one that brought up the football playing schools in the GMAC breaking away from the non-football playing members. I just pointed out that that has happened before (and I would add that a number of the GMAC current members were intimently involved in making that happen).

As for your apparent observations on conference stability, I would note:

Like a conference that says it wants to be a football conference starting with only four football playing schools? Like a conference starting and before they play one game one of it's charter members leaves the conference and two other charter members leave after one year for another new conference, then the following year another charter member leaves? Then the second year of the new league they bring in four new members but two ultimately leave? A conference that tried to shepherd two NAIA football playing teams into their conference but the NCAA said they weren't up to snuff? Then the next year the conference bring in three new teams but one of those new schools gives up football in a last ditch effort to keep from closing permanently? A football playing conference that has seen five teams either leave the conference or stop playing football all together? A conference with stability like that?

As for the "WV good ole boy network getting his non-football playing, no-campus living schools into the conference"...the schools you are apparently thinking of currently ARE in a conference. That conference is the GMAC.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 06-09-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the pep talk Captain.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                Thanks for the pep talk Captain.
                Sorry man. Responding to someone who took a shot at the MEC stability.

Funny...still haven't gotten anyone to compare first six year on-field success between the MEC and the GMAC. I have laid out the success the MEC has had during that period...anyone want to lay out the success the GMAC has had?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Funny...still haven't gotten anyone to compare first six year on-field success between the MEC and the GMAC. I have laid out the success the MEC has had during that period...anyone want to lay out the success the GMAC has had?
                  You do realize that the deck was totally stacked in the MEC's favor, right? The MEC started with the schools they wanted from the WVIAC and the G-MAC. After the MEC hand-picked its schools, the G-MAC consisted of schools that the MEC, the GLVC, the GLIAC and the GSC did not want (with KWC being the only possible exception to that description).

This is kind of like having a dodgeball game where one team gets the first 12 picks and then bragging about beating the other team.

Given its very humble beginnings, I think the G-MAC has pretty remarkably climbed a tremendous hill. Heck, it had to climb out of a grave once or twice. I'm pretty sure it's not done climbing yet.

Overall success the first 6 years - I'll give you that. Success last year, this year, next year and beyond? Keep checking in.
                  Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-10-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Agreed that starting position and trajectory are too totally different things.

Comment

You do realize that the deck was totally stacked in the MEC's favor, right? The MEC started with the schools they wanted from the WVIAC and the G-MAC. After the MEC hand-picked its schools, the G-MAC consisted of schools that the MEC, the GLVC, the GLIAC and the GSC did not want (with KWC being the only possible exception to that description).

This is kind of like having a dodgeball game where one team gets the first 12 picks and then bragging about beating the other team.

Given its very humble beginnings, I think the G-MAC has pretty remarkably climbed a tremendous hill. Heck, it had to climb out of a grave once or twice. I'm pretty sure it's not done climbing yet.

Overall success the first 6 years - I'll give you that. Success last year, this year, next year and beyond? Keep checking in.
                      I'm going to fly the BS flag there!!! Very little in the history of the WVIAC could have given much indication of the athletic success of the MEC in its first 6 years. In the 50 year history of the WVIAC, they had had ONE team make it to the DII NC game. The teams that came over from the GMAC's initial cadre were hardly world beaters at that point in time...If memory serves I think NDC and Urbana was relatively new to football and Wise had just started the transition from NAIA to DII. As a conference the new MEC didn't "hand pick" top tier performers!!!

Probably a better way for the schools that were the charter members of the GMAC and the MEC to have approached this would have been to join together with a conference "plan" to ultimately break into two divisions (west and east...Ohio people could have called the west the Ohio Division if it suited them!) with the west including current and future teams in Ohio (and west) and the east including all teams in WV (and east). Might have taken a few years to get there and perhaps an east team (or perhaps 2) would have had to be aligned with the west to balance things out. But as a conference, this amalgam of the MEC and GMAC would have been a much stronger and stable conference.

Would have been a heck of a basketball conference too!!!

Won't happen, but I wonder if the two comish's couldn't get together and come up with some kind of conference "partnership" that would effectively merge the two entities? Probably not...ego's are too big I guess!
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 06-10-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

If true, this attitude from schools is ridiculous and shows any lack of urgency of the current situation.

I would venture to say that if this continues that the football schools will break away from the non-football playing members. Ohio Valley doesn't feel the lack of football schools in this conference like Alderson Broaddus does. Trevecca Nazarene does not feel the same as say Ohio Dominican does. Ursuline probably could care less about the football situation as say Findlay does.
                        I'm not sure about OVU or TNU (neither one shares much history with the OH schools). However, I'm almost positive that Cedarville, Malone and Ursuline will vote with the football schools on all matters that impact conference viability/sustainability. The G-MAC is what they have long desired and I don't see them being short-sighted about it. Without the football schools, the non-football schools would find themselves trying to put together a conference with Bluefield State, Salem, Oakland City, etc. (and they know that)

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          I'm going to fly the BS flag there!!!
                          I'm not sure what you are calling BS on. Are you denying that the WV MEC schools started a new conference by plucking only the schools they wanted from the WVIAC? and left the ones it didn't? and invited the G-MAC schools that it wanted to round-out the new MEC?

I'm not sure that there is much to deny there.

Comment

I'm not sure about OVU or TNU (neither one shares much history with the OH schools). However, I'm almost positive that Cedarville, Malone and Ursuline will vote with the football schools on all matters that impact conference viability/sustainability. The G-MAC is what they have long desired and I don't see them being short-sighted about it. Without the football schools, the non-football schools would find themselves trying to put together a conference with Bluefield State, Salem, Oakland City, etc. (and they know that)
                            One of the things that finally drove the WVIAC apart was just this split between the football schools and those that didn't play. Football schools wanted a more expansive conference that competed on a national level and contributed roughly equal amounts to their athletic budgets (level playing field) while the non football schools wanted to basically treat athletics as an intermural thing were schools competed locally with little regard for success on a national scale...or even really, on a conference scale. And these bottom feeders were the first at the league office with their hands out for conference money! AB and the Wise thing may have been the straw that broke the camels back, but the WVIAC camels back probably would have broken even without AB's "nudge!"

Comment

I'm not sure what you are calling BS on. Are you denying that the WV MEC schools started a new conference by plucking only the schools they wanted from the WVIAC? and left the ones it didn't? and invited the G-MAC schools that it wanted to round-out the new MEC?

I'm not sure that there is much to deny there.
                              Yes, they picked the schools (more like took every WVIAC school that played football...except Seton Hill that declined and went to the PSAC). But my point was that the schools that formed the core of the MEC were not exactly the cream of the DII crop. Remember, we were talking about the success of the MEC in its first 6 years as compared to the GMAC. NOTHING in the past performance of most of the MEC schools when they were in the WVIAC and the NAIA would have given anyone even the remotest indication of the success the conference as a whole has had.

Comment

My own opinion is that Ashland has been given enough time to make a decision. I am a little tired of this "we aren't ready now, but will look at it again a few years from now". One way or the other, it is time to move on. I am not interested in giving one school carte blanche in this situation. If they enter as a member, that attitude is likely to continue and I, for one, am not in favor of it.
                                5-10 years ago, the second oldest Ohio High School league dropped to 7 members which left everyone scrambling to fill an open date at an odd time of the season. Their commissioner said that they were going to take a "wait and see" approach and consider their options. A few years ago a couple of the schools got a better offer and the league ended up disbanding and everyone had to find some other league to join. Hope the GMAC is not taking the "wait and see" approach.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X