Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
    Deleted the history lesson for the sake of space...but I enjoyed it.

I think your scenarios are about right. I also agree that they are all probably long-shots. Northwood isn't going anywhere unless something drastic happens. Also, the UP schools aren't going anywhere...the geography for them in the NSIC is actually WORSE than the what they have presently in the GLIAC, and I'd be curious as to what other entities might oppose something like that (ie, the Governor's Office).

I agree that a D1 move is possible. The only other thing that could change everything is if the NCAA implodes to an extent. If the Power 5 decide to break away and form their own gig (which I'm baffled why they haven't already), then the whole structure and alignment of the NCAA could change. Not a clue what that could mean. All things staying the same, I think Northwood stays. I like the idea of Ashland staying and I hope they do, but I still consider that to be 50/50...never say never.

I'm intrigued about inviting some schools to move up. Lawrence Tech is a gold mine geographically, and they are NUTS about their sports, marketing them, and most importantly...funding them. Plus, they have the two things that the GLIAC really needs in a new member: football and baseball. Agree that we leave Concordia where they are. Would love to see us make a run at Indiana Tech also...they are top-end of the WHAC most years in a lot of sports, and Fort Wayne is really not bad geographically. They probably have no desire to move up, so might be a long shot. Plus, their lack of football mitigates their appeal.

Whole lot of "who knows" with all of this. What actually ends up happening will probably be something few of us saw coming...seems like that's how things go anymore...
    I agree Tony that Northwood isn't going anywhere. As an Ashland alum who follows their athletic program closely, I actually want AU to go to the GMAC. My main reason for this is based on the football program. The top of the GLIAC is loaded and I don't see that changing any time soon. So if you're Ashland you will always be battling FSU and GVSU for playoff berths. This isn't even taking into consideration Saggy or someone gets things going again and a 4th team gets into the mix. We all know rarely do 3 teams from the GLIAC make the playoffs. It's just simple math that it's going to be a struggle every year for AU to be in the top 2 in the GLIAC.

Second, Region 3 is loaded! Look at the pre season rankings and look at how many teams from Region 3 are in the top 25. Look how many are in the top 10 in some polls. For Ashland, not only are you fighting GVSU and FSU for a playoff spot, you've got other excellent conferences in Region 3 that are always tough. It's by far the best region in the country. So as long as the playoff format takes the same number of teams from each region, why would you want to stay in a region that annually could get 10 teams in based on merit but only 7 make the field?

Ashland goes to the GMAC they don't have to worry about GVSU and FSU. There are good but not great teams in the GMAC, plus Region 1 is a lot weaker. Making the move to GMAC and Region 1 probably increases the chances of Ashland making the playoffs annually from 20-30% to 80%.

Comment

Originally posted by eagler927 View Post
      I agree Tony that Northwood isn't going anywhere. As an Ashland alum who follows their athletic program closely, I actually want AU to go to the GMAC. My main reason for this is based on the football program. The top of the GLIAC is loaded and I don't see that changing any time soon. So if you're Ashland you will always be battling FSU and GVSU for playoff berths. This isn't even taking into consideration Saggy or someone gets things going again and a 4th team gets into the mix. We all know rarely do 3 teams from the GLIAC make the playoffs. It's just simple math that it's going to be a struggle every year for AU to be in the top 2 in the GLIAC.

Second, Region 3 is loaded! Look at the pre season rankings and look at how many teams from Region 3 are in the top 25. Look how many are in the top 10 in some polls. For Ashland, not only are you fighting GVSU and FSU for a playoff spot, you've got other excellent conferences in Region 3 that are always tough. It's by far the best region in the country. So as long as the playoff format takes the same number of teams from each region, why would you want to stay in a region that annually could get 10 teams in based on merit but only 7 make the field?

Ashland goes to the GMAC they don't have to worry about GVSU and FSU. There are good but not great teams in the GMAC, plus Region 1 is a lot weaker. Making the move to GMAC and Region 1 probably increases the chances of Ashland making the playoffs annually from 20-30% to 80%.

Agreed. Hard to compete with public schools that care about football. Hard to compete with Grand Valley's facilities and what Ferris has going on. Plus U Indy probably gets serious about joining the GMAC to build rivalries and up the competition with solid privates.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
        Plus U Indy probably gets serious about joining the GMAC to build rivalries and up the competition with solid privates.
        I am of the belief that the decision would be better (easier to sell to alumni, better financial decision, league to be exponentially more competitive) for both UIndy and Ashland if they joined the GMAC together.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioD2 View Post
          I am of the belief that the decision would be better (easier to sell to alumni, better financial decision, league to be exponentially more competitive) for both UIndy and Ashland if they joined the GMAC together.
          I agree that a renewed association with the other would likely make a move easier to sell. The schools share Heartland, MIFC and GLIAC history, and are similar in structure and competitiveness.

Comment

• Hearing some noise out of GMAC meetings a few weeks ago...several institutions looking in (nothing immediately confirmed) and one institution potentially on the way out (non-FB institution)...,more to come...

Comment

• Originally posted by Insidesource View Post
              Hearing some noise out of GMAC meetings a few weeks ago...several institutions looking in (nothing immediately confirmed) and one institution potentially on the way out (non-FB institution)...,more to come...
              You called it.

https://www.trevecca.edu/news/trevec...rogram-in-2021

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                Hmm, nice to see. With all those balls in the air, could they ever think to host the Natty? Nashville, is pretty good in December.

Duh, Guess I got sucked in. :-(
                Last edited by Redwing; 09-17-2019, 04:39 PM. Reason: Story is a joke!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Hmm, nice to see. With all those balls in the air, could they ever think to host the Natty? Nashville, is pretty good in December.
                  I went with the Gophers to Nashville to see them beat Arkansas in the Music City Bowl. Weather was fine, so was the entertainment. I'm still kicking myself for not walking across the street and going to the Predators-Red Wings game as long as I was there.

Comment

• Comment

• Indeed it is. I wish I'd noticed before posting it to Reddit...

Comment

• Yes, it was dated March 29th but if you hit another link it says "Just kidding". So they really do suck- they can't even get an April Fool's Day joke right.

Comment

• Doh!

:doh:

Comment

• Schools in consideration for GMAC membership include Ashland, Indiana Wesleyan, Northwood, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Taylor, Marian, and Urbana

Comment

Schools in consideration for GMAC membership include Ashland, Indiana Wesleyan, Northwood, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Taylor, Marian, and Urbana
                              "In consideration" by whom ?? GMAC ? The schools themselves ? Fans of those teams ? Posters on this thread ?

Comment

Schools in consideration for GMAC membership include Ashland, Indiana Wesleyan, Northwood, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Taylor, Marian, and Urbana
                                So...you list the best private school in athletics in Ohio, a Michigan private in the middle of GLIAC territory, the two Erie schools that should be joined at the hip for the conference they are in, 3 NAIA and a school that should shut down.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X