Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    You can learn all of those things. That's why there are coaches who never played at the college level. If football were so difficult we wouldn't have coaches coaching positions they never played.
    idk me personally I feel like I can coach myself the X's and O's I dont need some nerd that doesnt understand anything about what I go through on a day to day basis to tell me how to play football. I study the game just like he did...I can learn just like him. I need instruction from experience and wisdom of stuff that actually produced results on the field. Call me old school but If you never had to go through winter workouts and not be able to barely walk while you smell like death in class. Or go to spring practice. Or train all summer when you wanna party and eat crappy food like everyone else. Or go to camp in the smoldering heat battling injuries but you dont tell anyone because you dont wanna lose your spot and your coach who has never played a lick of football or even sprained an ankle might bench you for poor performance. Or ever been in a close game with a team like IUP and they are running that hurry up gashing you and you're dog tired and can barely see or think and all you have is your instincts and habits you've developed through YEARS of PLAYING football not reading about it or watching it from daddys hip on the sideline. Those coaches don't fully understand the game or their players its literally impossible. Its a brotherhood they've never been apart of.

Comment

I think you're making this element of coaching a much larger part of it than it is, for the very reasons IUP24 stated.

Comment

There was one loss that we literally had no chance to win the game from the opener and that was against SRU in 15 with Nania they whooped us from the opening whistle to the end. Thats the best team Ive played in the PSAC ever they were nasty that year imo. With IUP all the games are so close nobody really dominates the other its always one or two 50/50 plays that wins it.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
          idk me personally I feel like I can coach myself the X's and O's I dont need some nerd that doesnt understand anything about what I go through on a day to day basis to tell me how to play football. I study the game just like he did...I can learn just like him. I need instruction from experience and wisdom of stuff that actually produced results on the field. Call me old school but If you never had to go through winter workouts and not be able to barely walk while you smell like death in class. Or go to spring practice. Or train all summer when you wanna party and eat crappy food like everyone else. Or go to camp in the smoldering heat battling injuries but you dont tell anyone because you dont wanna lose your spot and your coach who has never played a lick of football or even sprained an ankle might bench you for poor performance. Or ever been in a close game with a team like IUP and they are running that hurry up gashing you and you're dog tired and can barely see or think and all you have is your instincts and habits you've developed through YEARS of PLAYING football not reading about it or watching it from daddys hip on the sideline. Those coaches don't fully understand the game or their players its literally impossible. Its a brotherhood they've never been apart of.
          So now its about an emotional connection? I thought football was about physical athleticism? Read the bios of position coaches and see how few played the position they coach. If playing experience mattered so much why do we have former defensive backs coaching linebackers and tight ends coaching kickers?

To echo what IUP24 said, if football playing experience meant so much we wouldn't be wasting our time with things like punting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...r-punt-2013-11

Comment

Comment

That is happening because people that played the game handles things differently. A analytics guy is gonna say wow this guy ran a 4.3 in spandex. lets get him over the 4.6 guy. And I feel like this ideology is more prominent in college than the NFL for the most part. So if Im an hall of fame Qb I'm supposed to swallow my pride and wisdom because some geek ran some numbers and says this way is better THEORETICALLY lol

Comment

Idc about grammar you can crack all the jokes you want this isnt a professional platform so whatever.

Comment

That is happening because people that played the game handles things differently. A analytics guy is gonna say wow this guy ran a 4.3 in spandex. lets get him over the 4.6 guy. And I feel like this ideology is more prominent in college than the NFL for the most part. So if Im an hall of fame Qb I'm supposed to swallow my pride and wisdom because some geek ran some numbers and says this way is better THEORETICALLY lol
                  So in your world,

football player = enlightened athlete

non-football player = "nerd", "geek"

If you were born with the genes to only be 5'6" and 140 pounds are you therefore automatically not as much of a man because you don't have the genetic predisposition to play football? You're proving yourself to be a bigger ape than we could have assumed.

Comment

So now its about an emotional connection? I thought football was about physical athleticism? Read the bios of position coaches and see how few played the position they coach. If playing experience mattered so much why do we have former defensive backs coaching linebackers and tight ends coaching kickers?

To echo what IUP24 said, if football playing experience meant so much we wouldn't be wasting our time with things like punting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...r-punt-2013-11
                    You're not understanding what I'm saying because you never played the game. Football is not just about physical athleticism. And each position in football except kicking an QB all have the same basic principles and fundamentals at the base.

Comment

Comment

Curious to know who actually contributed on the field and who was in the stands blowing into a tuba.
                        Football is back. The whole point of this topic is : Homer could bring up his usual talking point. After he watched the tape, there is no way IUP beat Cal. Cal just continues to beat themselves.

Why doesn't Cal just hire Homer?? With his film study and memory of past mistakes, Back to Back National Championship Seasons is a guarantee!

Comment

So in your world,

football player = enlightened athlete

non-football player = "nerd", "geek"

If you were born with the genes to only be 5'6" and 140 pounds are you therefore automatically not as much of a man because you don't have the genetic predisposition to play football? You're proving yourself to be a bigger ape than we could have assumed.
                          I'm saying by you losing in the genetic lottery it has cost you the advantage of being able to play the best game in the world and the chance to acquire the knowledge, wisdom and experience first hand by actually playing that a person who has never played could not understand.

Comment

"Hunches" versus analytics isn't just for football. In baseball, the old baseball heads believe you should put your fastest runner batting leadoff and your best hitters at the number 3 and 4 in the lineup and pitcher batting ninth. Without getting into advanced stats, doesn't it make the most sense to put your best OBP, BA, and OPS guys at the top of the order regardless? They're the ones most likely to get the most ABs. There are similar parallels for football.

Comment

Originally posted by WCU007 View Post
                              Football is back. The whole point of this topic is : Homer could bring up his usual talking point. After he watched the tape, there is no way IUP beat Cal. Cal just continues to beat themselves.

Why doesn't Cal just hire Homer?? With his film study and memory of past mistakes, Back to Back National Championship Seasons is a guarantee!
                              somebody gets it

Comment

You're not understanding what I'm saying because you never played the game. Football is not just about physical athleticism. And each position in football except kicking an QB all have the same basic principles and fundamentals at the base.
                                Who said I've never played the game? And if football wasn't just about physical athleticism people would care about things like sprint football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X