Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not apples to apples here. Kevin Colbert was never a coach. He was a scout and then became a front office guy. There is a big difference.

His job is to identify talent. The coach has to 'coach' and 'develop' the talent. And, in the case of the NFL, also babysit said talent.
    The point made was that they need to "fully understand the game". I'd say Colbert fully understands the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
      I think the origin of the debate here was can you know football without having played, not necessarily can you coach it. At least that was my understanding and where i was coming from with my comment.
      I get lost as these things go, ... lol. Call it the Homer influence.

Comment

As I remember it was a cold windy night, Temple ran for 255, and Lenny like 150. IUP was up by two scores, then fumbled on their own 22 to gift Cal their second TD. Cignetti tried to use up the clock too early so it was close at the end because he (as always) got conservative. Cal ran for like 40 yards

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
          As I remember it was a cold windy night, Temple ran for 255, and Lenny like 150. IUP was up by two scores, then fumbled on their own 22 to gift Cal their second TD. Cignetti tried to use up the clock too early so it was close at the end because he (as always) got conservative. Cal ran for like 40 yards
          Yes, and (I believe) Makle had that huge pick at the end (near the goal line) to ice it. That was a cold one. Great game.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
            At the end of the day football is more than X's and O's. Its about an locker room. An culture. Understanding of what its like to depend on 10 other guys every snap to do their job. Yes there are coaches who are braniacs and can draw up some schemes that works cool. But where are majority of those guys on that list now? I dont care how great of a coach you are a player is going to always feel a way about a coach telling him he is doing something wrong etc and he has never even hit a sled a day in his life. I know we both will argue cuz I played and you guys didn't. So obviously we are biased but Ill say coaches who have played are at an advantage as far as respect from players and understanding the locker room culture.
            I think there are enough parallels to a football locker room for people to navigate. Someone can use their Cal degree to manage the local Kuhn's grocery store without having ever stocked shelves and sat in the break room.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              I think the origin of the debate here was can you know football without having played, not necessarily can you coach it. At least that was my understanding and where i was coming from with my comment.
              EXACTLY. You cant fully know the game without playing it. I can LEARN how to fly a plane and teach a person everything there is to know about flying a plane. But when the Pilot asks me well what did you do in this situation? or how did you handle this when you were flying? and you say well I never flew how is the trainee going to feel about the instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                I think there are enough parallels to a football locker room for people to navigate. Someone can use their Cal degree to manage the local Kuhn's grocery store without having ever stocked shelves and sat in the break room.
                Thats not the same thing man. Stocking shelves and blitzing up the A gap with proper hand placement and technique is not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  I get lost as these things go, ... lol. Call it the Homer influence.

Comment

I miss you guys

Comment

Thats not the same thing man. Stocking shelves and blitzing up the A gap with proper hand placement and technique is not the same.
                      You can learn all of those things. That's why there are coaches who never played at the college level. If football were so difficult we wouldn't have coaches coaching positions they never played.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                        Yeah we definitely got gashed all night that game I wont lie but we still could have won that game lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          You can learn all of those things. That's why there are coaches who never played at the college level. If football were so difficult we wouldn't have coaches coaching positions they never played.
                          You said that haven't played AT ALL not a the college level

Comment

EXACTLY. You cant fully know the game without playing it. I can LEARN how to fly a plane and teach a person everything there is to know about flying a plane. But when the Pilot asks me well what did you do in this situation? or how did you handle this when you were flying? and you say well I never flew how is the trainee going to feel about the instructor.
                            Well, first off as a coach, you're NOT going to answer that question with "well, I never flew." It's your job to know. If you don't know, you shouldn't be in the job.

Second, if a player has a problem with you never having played the game, that's their problem. You're the administrator of the program; they're the "employee."

Comment

Yeah we definitely got gashed all night that game I wont lie but we still could have won that game lol

Comment

You said that haven't played AT ALL not a the college level

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X