Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How many of you actually played fooseball for your Alma Mater?

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
    At the end of the day football is more than X's and O's. Its about an locker room. An culture. Understanding of what its like to depend on 10 other guys every snap to do their job. Yes there are coaches who are braniacs and can draw up some schemes that works cool. But where are majority of those guys on that list now? I dont care how great of a coach you are a player is going to always feel a way about a coach telling him he is doing something wrong etc and he has never even hit a sled a day in his life. I know we both will argue cuz I played and you guys didn't. So obviously we are biased but Ill say coaches who have played are at an advantage as far as respect from players and understanding the locker room culture.
    Oh Homer, here I am not only engaging with you, but I think I might even agree with you, to a point.

There are a lot of personalities on a football roster, and in the coaching staff. The same coach that's great for one player, may not be great for the next. Do coaches with playing experience have an advantage when it comes to teaching schemes and relating to what it feels like in the heat of competition? Certainly. That said, there are many other ways that coaches can have a strong impact on players, particularly with the mental game. I'm a sports and performance consultant, and am consulting with football teams right now who have coaching staffs that know football, but have no idea how to mentally prepare their players. That's common at the high school, and even small college level. I bring this up because this is a skill that many great head coaches that never played tend to posses.

Head coaches are more CEOs than they are the Xs and Ox guys. They manage the big picture, and can do that quite well and there are plenty of examples of this at even the highest levels. Does it always work? Of course not, but how many great players or Xs and Os guys turned out to be lousy coaches because they couldn't lead? Anyway...I have to say this has turned into an interesting discussion, even if that wasn't your original intention. :)

Comment

I don't doubt it. I'm sure you know more than half of the people on this board. They should change this forum to D2 band members lol
      Sorry for being in band and liking football. I didn't know there was a law prohibiting me from doing both.
      It's always sunny in #HuskyNation

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation24 View Post
        Sorry for being in band and liking football. I didn't know there was a law prohibiting me from doing both.
        There's no law, to be sure. But you would probably agree that you're more suited for teaching the *insert specialty here* than for teaching how to get leverage in the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          Now, I won't go that far. I've often regretted that I didn't stick with football in high school. It is an experience and lessons that you just don't get sitting in the stands, or in the band, or in the press box.

You know, this isn't necessarily a good thing, but a lot of these kids you see out on the field for high school games Friday night will never in their life do anything that affects more people, and their success in doing such will never be as important to as many.
          meh, all you have to do is join the military, and you get all of the same stuff.

Football is fun, a great experience for those who play. Athletics in general has a lot to offer. beyond that it ain't rocket science, so I suppose being smarter about fooseball than a bunch of amateurs on the message board isn't much to aspire to.

Comment

There's no law, to be sure. But you would probably agree that you're more suited for teaching the *insert specialty here* than for teaching how to get leverage in the trenches.
            I have acquired an substantial amount of knowledge about music and band directing. I have never actually played an single instrument or performed any type of organized formations but I'm equally as qualified because I observed and read a lot about it.

Comment

I really didnt think that there were this many people on this board that didnt play for their schools lol It all makes sense now

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                Now, I won't go that far. I've often regretted that I didn't stick with football in high school. It is an experience and lessons that you just don't get sitting in the stands, or in the band, or in the press box.

You know, this isn't necessarily a good thing, but a lot of these kids you see out on the field for high school games Friday night will never in their life do anything that affects more people, and their success in doing such will never be as important to as many.

Lol just stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hey appreciate it man. at this level you really are just playing for the guys next to you and the old drunk guys you see at lager heads who talks about the old Armenti days and all the conspiracies of why he was canned.

Comment

Comment

no

Comment

When did this site become Snark Central?

Oh, wait. I know when this site became Snark Central.

Did I say it's good that some kids will never rise above playing high school football? No, I don't think I said that. But I'll stand behind everything else I did say. It just might not be what you're comfortable to admit.

Comment

I raised you to be a winner, boy, ... so WIN.

Comment

• Comment

I'm actually the nicest guy on this board. You tell a little bit of truth and people start losing their minds lol

Comment

I'm actually the nicest guy on this board. You tell a little bit of truth and people start losing their minds lol
                                Not at all. IUP goes out and loses tomorrow night ... then you'll see people losing their minds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X