Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

And wins championships.

PSAC coaches like skill players that rack up stats against weak defenses while ignoring what actually wins titles.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
      since Shepherd was in the WVIAC when they went.
      No they were in the MEC in 2015.

Comment

I'm just thrilled that you kept alive IUP's chance of being the first Pee Sack team to win the Natty. Hopefully one day soon...as long as Torts realizes he needs to get massive lineman of both sides of the ball.
        Quality 300lbs collegiate OLs/DTs are not lying around. IUP does have the two-300lb+ DT already for the next 2 years, As of now they don't possess that on the OL. Need to develop what they have.

Comment

Congrats Minn State! I was running around all yesterday and was unable to watch the big win. Good luck in the Natty!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Quality 300lbs collegiate OLs/DTs are not lying around. IUP does have the two-300lb+ DT already for the next 2 years, As of now they don't possess that on the OL. Need to develop what they have.
            Get them on a tuna fish and heavy lager beer diet - cases and cases of each. Get them in the weight room and have them do nothing but squat variations, dead lifts, hang cleans, incline bench press, and overhead press. Everything in the 4-6 rep range except for overhead press with is 8s. Start now, they'll be 300lbs by summer. Don't make them run 110s. Nothing over 10 yards - as series of 10 yard sprints with 20 second rest. Have them do the dot drill to keep the feet fast.

Comment

Yes. It's been twenty years since a team while in the PSAC made it to the National Ship. PSAC can't claim Shepherd since Shepherd was in the WVIAC when they went. Did they make it while member of the MEC? Today's Rock/MSU game did nothing to dispel the old adage that defense wins championships boys.
              By 2015, when Shepherd made the national championship game, they were in the MEC.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

And wins championships.

PSAC coaches like skill players that rack up stats against weak defenses while ignoring what actually wins titles.
                Well if you had 12 scholarships, what would you do ? Give schollies to the best gunslinger, and WRs you could find, maybe a TE, A line backer, a DE, and maybe a free safety. Hope you can find some big guys around to pass block for free. Maybe you can win against 25+ scholarship teams in a shootout, or throw 50 times, and hope something sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Well if you had 12 scholarships, what would you do ? Give schollies to the best gunslinger, and WRs you could find, maybe a TE, A line backer, a DE, and maybe a free safety. Hope you can find some big guys around to pass block for free. Maybe you can win against 25+ scholarship teams in a shootout, or throw 50 times, and hope something sticks.
                  This. Most PSAC teams have a limited number of scholarship wealth to get around. Penn State provided a great example of this a couple of years back when they were on sanctions. Bill O'Brien recruited mostly skill players with his diminished number of scholarships and relied largely on walk-ons for linemen. This was adequate while he was there as there were still vestiges of the old 85-scholarship team left, but unfortunately for James Franklin this policy bit him in the butt for a couple of years as he inherited a team of decent skill players, but almost no standout scholarship linemen. I was up in State College to watch a so-so Northwestern team beat Penn State 29-6 in 2014 because the Nittany Lions were getting dominated on both sides of the line.

"Fans" in the stands were yelling at Franklin to call better plays etc. the whole game, but it's difficult to get anything to work when your line is getting murdered. That Penn State team actually went 2-6 in the Big Ten and managed to take several teams to the wire in close games. Thanks largely to a weak OOC schedule they even were able to finish 6-6 and reach a bowl game, when they won. Given what they had on the lines, it probably was one of Franklin's finer coaching jobs at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

IUP can't use that excuse.

The school was able to raise money to have the largest endowment in the Pee Sack. They should be able to raise money for athletics. We have plenty of successful alumni.

Imagine if IUP was fully funded. You know darn well we'd be able to get the caliber of players needed to compete at the elite level of D2 foosball. IUP still has a good reputation as a quality program.

I mean one losing season since 1982 does say something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

This. Most PSAC teams have a limited number of scholarship wealth to get around. Penn State provided a great example of this a couple of years back when they were on sanctions. Bill O'Brien recruited mostly skill players with his diminished number of scholarships and relied largely on walk-ons for linemen. This was adequate while he was there as there were still vestiges of the old 85-scholarship team left, but unfortunately for James Franklin this policy bit him in the butt for a couple of years as he inherited a team of decent skill players, but almost no standout scholarship linemen. I was up in State College to watch a so-so Northwestern team beat Penn State 29-6 in 2014 because the Nittany Lions were getting dominated on both sides of the line.

"Fans" in the stands were yelling at Franklin to call better plays etc. the whole game, but it's difficult to get anything to work when your line is getting murdered. That Penn State team actually went 2-6 in the Big Ten and managed to take several teams to the wire in close games. Thanks largely to a weak OOC schedule they even were able to finish 6-6 and reach a bowl game, when they won. Given what they had on the lines, it probably was one of Franklin's finer coaching jobs at Penn State.
                      What's the issue now? He's fully funded again and is still stuck far behind The Overrated State University and still has his lunch taken by the Meatchicken schools too often...just not this year.

Comment

What's the issue now? He's fully funded again and is still stuck far behind The Overrated State University and still has his lunch taken by the Meatchicken schools too often...just not this year.
                        I'm not a Penn State fan by any means, but that's a tough argument to use when Penn State gave Ohio State its toughest test of the season, and they did it in Columbus. The gap doesn't appear to be all that large.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I'm not a Penn State fan by any means, but that's a tough argument to use when Penn State gave Ohio State its toughest test of the season, and they did it in Columbus. The gap doesn't appear to be all that large.
                          He comes up short in big games far too often.

Comment

IUP can't use that excuse.

The school was able to raise money to have the largest endowment in the Pee Sack. They should be able to raise money for athletics. We have plenty of successful alumni.

Imagine if IUP was fully funded. You know darn well we'd be able to get the caliber of players needed to compete at the elite level of D2 foosball. IUP still has a good reputation as a quality program.

I mean one losing season since 1982 does say something.
                            I think the "want to" in terms of getting to full funded status really only points to 2 schools in the conference. Shepherd and IUP. I include IUP because all of you posters seem to think the administration still places an importance on being the flagship program in the conference for football so correct me if I'm wrong. I get the impression the rest of the conference is more satisfied with being a flash in the pan and moderately satisfied with the status quo.

Chauncey Winbush since he has taken over has increased the scholly amount at Shepherd up to 28 I recall him saying in an interview this year. The goal is to be fully funded and he is definitely putting his money where his mouth is with the big talk. Looks like the school is on board as well (http://supicket.com/shepherd-univers...ic-facilities/). If this comes to fruition, Shepherd should be able compete for the National Championship.

Most of the Shepherd faithful doesn't like to throw big predictions or things of that nature out there. But the next 2 years, expectations are going to be SKY HIGH for the Rams.

Comment

Get them on a tuna fish and heavy lager beer diet - cases and cases of each. Get them in the weight room and have them do nothing but squat variations, dead lifts, hang cleans, incline bench press, and overhead press. Everything in the 4-6 rep range except for overhead press with is 8s. Start now, they'll be 300lbs by summer. Don't make them run 110s. Nothing over 10 yards - as series of 10 yard sprints with 20 second rest. Have them do the dot drill to keep the feet fast.
                              Yeah you typically can't train your way to three bills and have the requisite athleticism to be active and play sports at the collegiate level. You are either genetically inclined to be that size and remain athletic or you aren't. Of course anyone can eat themselves into oblivion but even then some just can't pack on weight like that, but nice try trying to sound like you know what you are talking about.

Comment

I think coaching is part of the issue when the psac plays out of the region in these final four games. Maybe playing more teams from other regions would expose the players and coaches to different styles of play.

One example that jumps out to me....the MSU DL stunts and blitzes a few times just off the top of my head where Rock OL didn't touch anyone as guys ran by them...obviously confused who theyre supposed to block.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X