Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Find me the last Gary Edwards player with good grades. I won't wait for it. :laugh:

-
    Well ... GE was a long time ago. Irish Tom doesn't look at anybody who doesn't have a 4.0 ... Joe's player's are also all honor students.

Comment

Gotta give serious props to Lombardi. He turned a football school into a basketball school.

That's not really even debatable the past 12 years.

And, what Tom is doing with the women is just unprecedented. Tom has the flagship program at IUP right now followed by Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Gotta give serious props to Lombardi. He turned a football school into a basketball school.

That's not really even debatable the past 12 years.
        I think that it is still a football school by and large. Just look at these forums---much more football participation. Only a half dozen or so who regularly post about IUP hoops. Football is hurt by the dumb kickoff times, the insane prices they charge to get into a total dump of a stadium, the lack of atmosphere (i.e. tailgating), and of course as you always correctly allude to-----the dying off of the old guard that made up so much of the loyal football legion.

But I do concur that Bravado has made leaps and bound with the places that he has taken IUP hoops. Certainly, Gary and Kurt Kanaskie deserve some credit here as well.

And, what Tom is doing with the women is just unprecedented. Tom has the flagship program at IUP right now followed by Joe.
        I think one caveat here is that PSAC as well as D-II WBB is down across the board as far as I have been able to deduce. I don't believe that there are as powerful WBB teams in D-II. For example---I don't think any of these recent IUP or Cal WBB teams that have achieved some measure of success would last very long at all against Darcie Vincent's 2003 and 2004 teams and some of the teams they went up against in the Elite Eight. I think the more recent teams would have been ripped apart and destroyed going up against them. I very strongly believe that.

-

Comment

I think that it is still a football school by and large. Just look at these forums---much more football participation. Only a half dozen or so who regularly post about IUP hoops. Football is hurt by the dumb kickoff times, the insane prices they charge to get into a total dump of a stadium, the lack of atmosphere (i.e. tailgating), and of course as you always correctly allude to-----the dying off of the old guard that made up so much of the loyal football legion.

But I do concur that Bravado has made leaps and bound with the places that he has taken IUP hoops. Certainly, Gary and Kurt Kanaskie deserve some credit here as well.

I think one caveat here is that PSAC as well as D-II WBB is down across the board as far as I have been able to deduce. I don't believe that there are as powerful WBB teams in D-II. For example---I don't think any of these recent IUP or Cal WBB teams that have achieved some measure of success would last very long at all against Darcie Vincent's 2003 and 2004 teams and some of the teams they went up against in the Elite Eight. I think the more recent teams would have been ripped apart and destroyed going up against them. I very strongly believe that.

-
          Success ... Joe's blown out the football program. Not even close. A big Jan-Feb basketball game versus a football game ... atmosphere ... no comparison. Joe blows them out. Not even close.

Tom's been to two strait Final Four's and has won two straight Regionals. Era to era ... who knows. But ... stats are facts.

Comment

Your post brought up a great point. IUP football best get some young fans in the next 1 to 8 years. That home side is old now. The next generation best be found soon.

Comment

-
              I think you're wrong on all accounts. More people post about football here because the main site is "D2football.com." A lot of people don't even know about the basketball forum linked to the football board. To me the message boards don't show which sport gets supported more. It's all about the buzz and basketball brings that buzz with quality human beings playing!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                I think you're wrong on all accounts. More people post about football here because the main site is "D2football.com." A lot of people don't even know about the basketball forum linked to the football board. To me the message boards don't show which sport gets supported more. It's all about the buzz and basketball brings that buzz with quality human beings playing!
                This is true. Though, in all fairness, it doesn't matter if it's a message board forum or real life, D2 or the pros, "football drives the bus" as Dave Wannstedt once said. Even if the site were to change it's name to "D2 Sports Insiders" or something like that, football will likely still drive the bus on this forum.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Your post brought up a great point. IUP football best get some young fans in the next 1 to 8 years. That home side is old now. The next generation best be found soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                    This is true. Though, in all fairness, it doesn't matter if it's a message board forum or real life, D2 or the pros, "football drives the bus" as Dave Wannstedt once said. Even if the site were to change it's name to "D2 Sports Insiders" or something like that, football will likely still drive the bus on this forum.
                    This may be true on a whole but we are talking IUP. Basketball has become more popular than football since Lombardi has taken over as coach.

Comment

You aren't getting kids rolling in to Miller at noon (soberly). If that sounds bad ... so be it. But ... It. Ain't. Happening.

Comment

You aren't getting kids rolling in to Miller at noon (soberly). If that sounds bad ... so be it. But ... It. Ain't. Happening.
                        Not with that atmosphere. Nobody is going to sit in the sun (August/September) or cold (October/November) to watch what looks like high school football on Saturday afternoon and a marching band playing Aaron Copland. The start time is terrible too. With streaming, students watch stuff until 3 or 4 in the morning. They eat lunch at 2:00 and dinner at 7:00. So that may as well be a 10am kickoff.

Comment

• IUP Football 2019

Last edited by IUPNation; 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPNation;2397019]

Comment

• Last edited by IUP24; 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Big Ike 97;2397033]Lot of truth in your last sentence. It feels like a high school game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X