Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
    Just sent my Season Ticket Order in...Some things to note, not all games are at 12:00pm kickoffs.

Sept 7 vs. New Haven is 1pm
    Sept 21 vs. Lock Haven is 4pm (Hall of Fame Game)
    Oct 2 vs. Cal is at 2pm (Homecoming)
    Oct 26 and Nov 9 are 12pm starts.

Couple items that help:

Sept. 7 - Penn State plays at night. Pitt plays at 11 a.m.

Sept. 21 - Penn State is off. Pitt hosts Central Florida (time TBA)

Oct. 5 - Penn State is home at noon but it's Homecoming so it will be packed regardless (unless there is another weather delay and 75% of the stadium sells out the team for beer in the parking lot). Pitt is away.

Oct. 26 and Nov. 9 - PSU is away both dates. Pitt hosts Miami on the 26th and is off Nov. 9

Pitt and PSU kickoff times (and if they are away) helps IUP tremendously.

Thank goodness the game at Millersville is, well, the Millersville game. It kicks off at the same time as Pitt at PSU.

Comment

I'd suspect the IUP roster shouldn't be too far out now that SRU released its team.

In the Fort Knox world of D2 roster unveiling, usually once one releases their top-secret information the other follows.

We're approaching one month out from camp so you'd sure hope there are no more departures. I still anticipate another mercenary-type or two to show up in the next 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Actual football-related ... there are a good many players staying for the summer. Many are at the stadium nightly. That wasn't often the case last summer.
        In terms of the QB transfers what are the chances of Reese (Toledo transfer) actually being the starting QB for the first game(s)?

Everybody agrees Maxwell (Ohio U. transfer) is the #1 candidate but how does he acclimate himself in such a short period of time? Is he in Indiana now?

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          In terms of the QB transfers what are the chances of Reese (Toledo transfer) actually being the starting QB for the first game(s)?

Everybody agrees Maxwell (Ohio U. transfer) is the #1 candidate but how does he acclimate himself in such a short period of time? Is he in Indiana now?
          In all honesty, there's zero chance Reese starts the first game (providing Maxwell leaves camp healthy). Keep in mind while listed as a QB at Toledo he never actually played. The quickest way Maxwell will get up to speed is in live game action. IUP also runs a very similar offense that he ran at Ohio. Lastly, he's older and mature. He has to be about 22 years old or so. He'll catch on quickly. The D2 game is also a little slower than he's used to seeing. He's been fed the playbook since the day he signed -- and, frankly, IUP's offense is pretty simple.

Comment

That said, I do hope they get Reese some live snaps in the following two weeks -- likely blowouts against Millersville and Lock Haven. We sure don't want Reese's first snap to come against Cal or SRU.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
              I was covering a youth football camp this morning in New Castle put on by Malik Hooker of the Colts, who is a New Castle graduate. Lamont McPhatter, who was a consensus All-American last year at Cal U, graduated the same year as Malik and was also helping out at it. I let Lamont know he single-handedly ruined IUP's season last year with his pick-6.

(If you want to relive it: https://twitter.com/CUTV_PA/status/1046219146613182464)
              SOOOO many things went wrong on that play....and a few "shoulda coulda" as well!!

Comment

In all honesty, there's zero chance Reese starts the first game (providing Maxwell leaves camp healthy). Keep in mind while listed as a QB at Toledo he never actually played. The quickest way Maxwell will get up to speed is in live game action. IUP also runs a very similar offense that he ran at Ohio. Lastly, he's older and mature. He has to be about 22 years old or so. He'll catch on quickly. The D2 game is also a little slower than he's used to seeing. He's been fed the playbook since the day he signed -- and, frankly, IUP's offense is pretty simple.
                Coach Tort did state that in the Maxwell article that Reese was a pleasant surprise:

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...cf9ac7557.html

Not saying he could beat out Maxwell, but it somewhat sounds as though this Reese could be a serviceable backup when needed. I hope Reese does get some live snaps too, especially if the game is clearly in control.
                Last edited by ShoNuff; 07-02-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

They ran a very similar offense at Ohio. He should be just fine.

Comment

Since this is the official Iup should've or could've won every game thread. An argument can be made about IUP outplaying Cal and losing. But the SRU game wasn't as close as the score. A couple Lenny hail mary type passes in the 2nd half and a penalty on the rock O-lineman that killed a long drive and forced a missed FG ..kept that game closer than it was straight up ( without fluke plays and turnovers)

One loss at Cal should've had them locked in the rest of the way....not packing it in for the year with only one loss.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                      Coach Tort did state that in the Maxwell article that Reese was a pleasant surprise:

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...cf9ac7557.html

Not saying he could beat out Maxwell, but it somewhat sounds as though this Reese could be a serviceable backup when needed. I hope Reese does get some live snaps too, especially if the game is clearly in control.

He seems like he has the skill set to be a serviceable backup. He's down at the stadium a lot ... he's got the size and looks like a tremendous athlete.

Although I do wonder if the moment does arrive if they'd go with the redshirt instead. It could come down to how early in the season it would happen.

Then again you have to take spring performance for what it is ... most QBs look good when they aren't worried about the big-uglies laying them out.

Comment

He seems like he has the skill set to be a serviceable backup. He's down at the stadium a lot ... he's got the size and looks like a tremendous athlete.

Although I do wonder if the moment does arrive if they'd go with the redshirt instead. It could come down to how early in the season it would happen.

Then again you have to take spring performance for what it is ... most QBs look good when they aren't worried about the big-uglies laying them out.
                        Reese will be the backup most likely. Very likely.

Comment

Maxwell has the potential to be the best quarterback in the PSAC, if not D2.

Comment

Speaking of Michael Bolton and Cheeto... So funny, except it's not.

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/10...to-russia.html

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                              Yes, we all have seen Adam Houser and his highlights ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6585103...52420ee8b21f3a ). But if we see this kid on the field this Fall that means once again IUP had some injuries. I am sure he has a very bright future ahead, but I hope he does red shirt.
                              Could they start Houser out on special teams? The last Honors College standout that I remember was Walt Pegues who started as a true freshman returning punts and kicks but worked himself into the starting lineup by mid-season.

Comment

Could they start Houser out on special teams? The last Honors College standout that I remember was Walt Pegues who started as a true freshman returning punts and kicks but worked himself into the starting lineup by mid-season.
                                They could start Houser out on special teams. But when it comes to the return positions (kick off and punt return) I am expecting to see Qashah Carter, who was 1st Team All PSAC West as a returner, Dwine Walls and Malik Anderson.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X