Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Thank God for Chip Gaines.

I visited the site of the Branch Davidson Compound outside of Waco about two years ago. I was there for a work trip and took a cruise out one afternoon. It's a good 10 miles or so outside of Waco ... middle of nowhere.

I don't believe in ghosts and stuff but it's a pretty creepy place. There's still so much divide there all these years later over the incident.
    That would be the Wacko From Waco incident that you are referring.

Cold Harbor (battlefield) felt a bit eerie to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That would be the Wacko From Waco incident that you are referring.

Cold Harbor (battlefield) felt a bit eerie to me.
      I used to live in Leesburg right down the hill from Balls Bluff where that one battle took place where a congressman was killed and the Union army was forced to jump of the bluffs into the Potomac where quite a few drowned. There are still grave markers at the sight where the congressman fell and those bluffs are steep. I always got a creepy feeling up there and there are stories about the place being haunted. I never saw any specters the few times the kids and I went up there, but I was there when the sun was nice and bright and not at dusk or night when the alleged haunting take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
        I used to live in Leesburg right down the hill from Balls Bluff where that one battle took place where a congressman was killed and the Union army was forced to jump of the bluffs into the Potomac where quite a few drowned. There are still grave markers at the sight where the congressman fell and those bluffs are steep. I always got a creepy feeling up there and there are stories about the place being haunted. I never saw any specters the few times the kids and I went up there, but I was there when the sun was nice and bright and not at dusk or night when the alleged haunting take place.
        Gettysburg turned those ghosts in to a multi-million dollar industry.

Comment

Gettysburg turned those ghosts in to a multi-million dollar industry.
          I believe that ghosts and specters exist----but I have been all through the Gettysburg battlefield in both daylight and darkness and I encountered absolutely nothing at all there. But I have talked to people that I consider highly credible and they related some odd stories about being there. So who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
            Yup, Ball's Bluff is pretty famous. Oddly I have never been to that one. But certainly a number of those battlefields in Virginia more or less overlap one another.

Comment

I believe that ghosts and specters exist----but I have been all through the Gettysburg battlefield in both daylight and darkness and I encountered absolutely nothing at all there. But I have talked to people that I consider highly credible and they related some odd stories about being there. So who knows?
              I've spent a lot of time at Gettysburg ... one of my favorite places on Earth.

I haven't, either..

I've even stayed at The Cashtown Inn on Halloween. lol..

But, you never know. What happened there over 3 days is beyond horrific.

Comment

I've spent a lot of time at Gettysburg ... one of my favorite places on Earth.

I haven't, either..

I've even stayed at The Cashtown Inn on Halloween. lol..

But, you never know. What happened there over 3 days is beyond horrific.
                A true bloodletting to be sure. Just think what it must have been like for those poor wounded rebs riding back south in Imboden's wagons. That must have been absolute hell on earth.

Antietam Creek still stands as the single bloodiest day in American history (or maybe the Covid 19 death rolls beat it??). I thought that place had a rather odd feel to it.

Gettysburg countryside is an amazingly beautiful place to be honest. I like the reb position along Seminary Ridge and of course Little Round Top the best.

My last trip there a few summers ago I finally located Iverson's Pitts. Wholesale slaughter there of North Carolina infantry regiments. After the battle some of the black farm workers were convinced the place was haunted. They may have been right.

Comment

A true bloodletting to be sure. Just think what it must have been like for those poor wounded rebs riding back south in Imboden's wagons. That must have been absolute hell on earth.

Antietam Creek still stands as the single bloodiest day in American history (or maybe the Covid 19 death rolls beat it??). I thought that place had a rather odd feel to it.

Gettysburg countryside is an amazingly beautiful place to be honest. I like the reb position along Seminary Ridge and of course Little Round Top the best.

My last trip there a few summers ago I finally located Iverson's Pitts. Wholesale slaughter there of North Carolina infantry regiments. After the battle some of the black farm workers were convinced the place was haunted. They may have been right.
                  You read the old stories ... the hospitals had piles of arms and legs. Stacked. Cut them off. That was the cure. I can't even imagine. Gettysburg in July is always about 95 degrees, too.

I have read some very interesting books this past year ... mainly pertaining to the days following the battle. What was left behind is just amazing. They claim the creek at the bottom of Little Round Top (running past the Slaughter Pen and Devil's Den) was red (blood) for weeks.

Comment

You read the old stories ... the hospitals had piles of arms and legs. Stacked. Cut them off. That was the cure. I can't even imagine. Gettysburg in July is always about 95 degrees, too.

I have read some very interesting books this past year ... mainly pertaining to the days following the battle. What was left behind is just amazing. They claim the creek at the bottom of Little Round Top (running past the Slaughter Pen and Devil's Den) was red (blood) for weeks.
                    Yes, you got hit in one of your limbs and off it came. They wouldn't even sanitize the saw or anything from the last poor soul who got his arm or leg hacked off.

I wonder how many of us tourist crowd would really like Gettysburg if we actually saw and smelled the carnage and wrecked lives for ourselves for even a few minutes? I doubt that we would ever even consider going back there to be honest. Bodies laying everywhere bloating in the heat. And the dead were probably the lucky ones compared to those who were maimed and wounded.

What is Gettysburg College? Are they a D-III football program. Never any mention of IUP or any PSAC school ever playing them over the years.

Comment

Yes, you got hit in one of your limbs and off it came. They wouldn't even sanitize the saw or anything from the last poor soul who got his arm or leg hacked off.

I wonder how many of us tourist crowd would really like Gettysburg if we actually saw and smelled the carnage and wrecked lives for ourselves for even a few minutes? I doubt that we would ever even consider going back there to be honest. Bodies laying everywhere bloating in the heat. And the dead were probably the lucky ones compared to those who were maimed and wounded.

What is Gettysburg College? Are they a D-III football program. Never any mention of IUP or any PSAC school ever playing them over the years.
                      Gettysburg is DIII in the Centennial Conference with a lot of other small privates in PA & MD: Dickinson, F&M, Haverford, Johns Hopkins, Ursinus, etc. Juniata plays football in this conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Gettysburg is DIII in the Centennial Conference with a lot of other small privates in PA & MD: Dickinson, F&M, Haverford, Johns Hopkins, Ursinus, etc. Juniata plays football in this conference.
                        Thanks. Interesting. I did always wonder what class they were in and why they never seemed to play PSAC schools.

Comment

Thanks. Interesting. I did always wonder what class they were in and why they never seemed to play PSAC schools.
                          Gettysburg College is a pretty 'elitist' type of school. Not cheap. I've went to a couple football games there. Very similar atmosphere to most D2 games.

Comment

PSAC schools used to play DIII in football back when most of us were NAIA. Westminster and Geneva were DII and/or NAIA more recently and played PSAC West a bit more often.

I'm all for playing a DIII in football vs no game but I think I'm in the minority on that one. I did some quick research on the last time each PSAC school played a true DIII opponent:

Bloomsburg - 1985 (Buffalo State)
                            California - 1987 (Salem International)
                            Clarion - 1979 (Ithaca)
                            East Stroudsburg - 1994 (Springfield)
                            Edinboro - 1984 (District of Columbia)
                            Gannon - 2001 (Alma, Thiel, Westminster)
                            Indiana - 1977 (Juniata, Wilkes)
                            Kutztown - 1985 (Salem International)
                            Lock Haven - 1996 (Keane State)
                            Mercyhurst - 1997 (Baldwin Wallace, Ithaca, St. John Fisher, Gannon, Buffalo State, Ohio Wesleyan)
                            Millersville - 2015 (Ursinus)
                            Seton Hill - 2006 (McDaniel, Wesley
                            Shepherd - 1990 (Salisbury State)
                            Shippensburg - 1973 (Brockport State)
                            Slippery Rock - 1990 (Springfield)
                            West Chester - 1986 (Glassboro State/Rowan)

Cal, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Millersville, and Slippery Rock lost those games.

Mercyhurst went 4-2 against DIII schools as an NAIA team in 1997. Seton Hill went 1-1 against DIII schools in 2006.

Comment

• Can you give me a recap of when Westminster joined the GLIAC? I remember it but very faintly. Didn't it only last a year or two?

Comment

• It lasted just two seasons, 1998 and 1999. They went 3-8 overall both seasons. 2-8 in conference both years. 1998 was the last year of the MIFC before it folded and became the GLIAC. Ironically their only 2 OOC games that year are now PSAC teams, Gannon and Mansfield (both wins).

I don't believe Westminster was in a good place to do scholarship athletics at the time. They're small (under 2,000) and not wealthy by private college standards (~$100M endowment). Athletic aid would have had to be new discounting figured into their budget - and there's not a lot of wiggle room in a school of 2,000. Unrelated, but Westminster is struggling like many other PSAC West schools - their enrollment is down over 60% in the last decade.
                                Last edited by Fightingscot82; 03-11-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X