Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Not if but WHEN Deion leaves Jackson State it won't be for GT I'll tell you that much. When he leaves it'll be a top 25 program. It's one thing to build a FCS team up in a short time but a P5 program at a disadvantage due to academics, smallest home venue in the conference and the pressure of winning almost immediately I don't see it happening. Now Florida State he'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I think he stays until his boys graduate and then at that point if JSU hasn't built it's resume up enough to get an invite from a FBS conference he passes the torch to another coach so he can jump ship up to the FBS level. Remember his son already left South Carolina so he can't transfer up without sitting out a year.
    Very fair points. I also don't know how many big money P5 donors (especially old white ones) will put up with Deion's bravado, especially once the losses start piling up. Like you said, he needs a school that gives him admissions "spots" instead of a lower admission standard - because I bet the GT athletic admission standard is much higher than what he's working with at Jackson State. The SWAC choosing to stay out of the FCS playoffs might hurt him too. Deion is 0-1 in post-season games. Even if they're exhibitions, they carry huge weight in HBCU.

Comment

• WVU getting witch-slapped on natty tv

Comment

• Yikes, what a bad loss for Pitt. GT had no business winning this game. They were on a 9 game losing streak to FBS teams, their head coach just got canned last week, and they were playing on the road. It’s not like Pitt should have been looking ahead either because they have a lousy Virginia Tech team on the schedule. I hope nobody bets on Pitt because you know at least one or more of these games is coming every year.

Comment

• Desmond Howard had Pitt and Texas A&M going to the college football playoff. Yikes.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
            Yikes, what a bad loss for Pitt. GT had no business winning this game. They were on a 9 game losing streak to FBS teams, their head coach just got canned last week, and they were playing on the road. It’s not like Pitt should have been looking ahead either because they have a lousy Virginia Tech team on the schedule. I hope nobody bets on Pitt because you know at least one or more of these games is coming every year.
            This is the going rate for Narduzzi teams. They always play down to the competition. His arrogance rubs off on his teams and it shows!

Comment

• Paul Chryst fired at Wisconsin. Ouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Paul Chryst fired at Wisconsin. Ouch.

I had a feeling after the national tv debacle in Columbus a couple weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  WVU getting witch-slapped on natty tv
                  I live in Morgantown Wv, plenty of WVU fans are sick of coach Brown and ready to move on. Buy out is too big so he's probably safe this year unless the team totally tanks but toast the end of 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Paul Chryst fired at Wisconsin. Ouch.
                    Wow, they've fallen off some the past couple of years, but the guy has a 67-26 record, several division titles, and some bowl wins at Wisconsin. I'm getting more and more turned off by D1 football these days, and stuff like this doesn't help.

Comment

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

I live in Morgantown Wv, plenty of WVU fans are sick of coach Brown and ready to move on. Buy out is too big so he's probably safe this year unless the team totally tanks but toast the end of 2023.
                      If Texas AM keeps going down the tubes, they might be able to get Jimbo to come on home to WV!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Wow, they've fallen off some the past couple of years, but the guy has a 67-26 record, several division titles, and some bowl wins at Wisconsin. I'm getting more and more turned off by D1 football these days, and stuff like this doesn't help.
                        It’s unfortunate. Wisconsin’s odds odds of ever winning a national championship are incredibly low. I can’t see how any coach is going to go up there and do much better. They’ve cracked the top five in the polls before but were never really a threat to win it all. They need to be realistic about what they can be. It’s similar for Pitt and Penn State, frankly. Maybe win the conference once every 8-10 years, win and lose a few games you shouldn’t, and rack up a lot of winning seasons.

That said, maybe the expanding playoffs will help save some jobs. To only have four teams make it as it is now is a travesty given the number of programs in the country. It makes teams that go 9-2 feel like they had a bad year.

Comment

It’s unfortunate. Wisconsin’s odds odds of ever winning a national championship are incredibly low. I can’t see how any coach is going to go up there and do much better. They’ve cracked the top five in the polls before but were never really a threat to win it all. They need to be realistic about what they can be. It’s similar for Pitt and Penn State, frankly. Maybe win the conference once every 8-10 years, win and lose a few games you shouldn’t, and rack up a lot of winning seasons.

That said, maybe the expanding playoffs will help save some jobs. To only have four teams make it as it is now is a travesty given the number of programs in the country. It makes teams that go 9-2 feel like they had a bad year.
                          Joe Pa fans are on par with the Yinzer Black and Gold. They aren't far from Alabama in the heads of most in Creepy Valley.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-04-2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I mostly agree, although I think Penn State has a lot more upside than Wisconsin.

Comment

I agree that in the Big 10 it's Ohio State and Michigan who will be national title contenders. Wisconsin, PSU, Michigan State will have their years here and there where they are very good but not national title winners but maybe sneak into College Football playoffs & lose in round 1. Wisconsin I believe wanted to get rid of him following the abbreviated 2020 season but they were handcuffed, 2 blowout losses in 5 games this year sealed his fate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

As you pointed out Chryst did his best work earlier in his tenure. The second half has still been alright compared to a lot of other schools out there but it’s been marred by some very ugly showings against the other top teams in the B1G (and out of conference too), particularly crossover games.

I think there are a few other factors in play here:
                                1. After years of Alvarez Wisconsin has a new(ish) AD who probably wants the chance to choose his guy and assert his authority over the department with the specter of Alvarez always lingering.
                                2. Chryst is supposed to be an offensive guy and had a mild “QB whisperer” rep but his offense and his prize QB recruit have both been stagnant for a few years.
                                3. Wisconsin has a guy already on the staff they view as a likely replacement in Leonhard. Leonhard has been touted as a coaching candidate elsewhere and the AD might have been afraid of losing him similar to MSU and Narduzzi or (to a lesser extent) OSU and Fickell.
                                4. The gap between Wisconsin and OSU/Michigan has seemingly widened in the last 3 years. It’s likely, although not guaranteed, that the B1G will be adding UCLA and USC which are both programs with strong histories and recruiting bases in their own rights. The AD might have felt that making a change now was necessary rather than waiting for the conference to get any tougher. Better too early than too late.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X