Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I went to grad school at Northwestern (speaking of bad seasons), and we had the misfortune to play Tennessee in a bowl game. Worst fan base online I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I was glad to see them lose for several seasons after that and look forward to the day when they start losing again.
    I live half an hour from Knoxville. There is not a single worse fan base in all of sports than Tennessee Vol fans. BY A COUNTRY MILE.

Comment

• Nebraska is talking to familiar retreads: Monken, Rhule, Patterson, etc. My buddy at another Big 12 athletic dept in a neighboring state says "there's no way in hell Nebraska's big money donors will okay a black coach" meaning interim Mickey Joseph.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Nebraska is talking to familiar retreads: Monken, Rhule, Patterson, etc. My buddy at another Big 12 athletic dept in a neighboring state says "there's no way in hell Nebraska's big money donors will okay a black coach" meaning interim Mickey Joseph.
        Rhule would be a nice hire. He was the hottest thing in college football prior to jumping to the NFL.

Comment

• If “Patterson” is talking about Gary Patterson, the guy is 62 and will be 63 by the time the next CFB season starts and his last really good team at TCU was 5 years ago. Surely Nebraska isn’t going to roll the dice on a near retiree who was showing declining performance at the tail end of his last job.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
            If “Patterson” is talking about Gary Patterson, the guy is 62 and will be 63 by the time the next CFB season starts and his last really good team at TCU was 5 years ago. Surely Nebraska isn’t going to roll the dice on a near retiree who was showing declining performance at the tail end of his last job.
            Yep.

Comment

• I’m always wary of aging coaches because I worry about them losing energy for recruiting and being too stuck in their ways to adapt to different schemes or offensive philosophies. Saban is really the only one I can think of who’s consistently done those things. Paterno held on for a long time too but he had some inconsistency at the end of his tenure.

Comment

If “Patterson” is talking about Gary Patterson, the guy is 62 and will be 63 by the time the next CFB season starts and his last really good team at TCU was 5 years ago. Surely Nebraska isn’t going to roll the dice on a near retiree who was showing declining performance at the tail end of his last job.
                Nebraska fired Bo Pelini after constantly winning 9-10 games; mind you, part of the reason he was let go was because he was a complete a-hole towards players and other coaches (there were a couple of audio leaks that ultimately did him in), but the spin was that Pelini couldn't win a B1G title, hence he was let go.

That said, I don't think it's a coincidence that Nebraska has been a dumpster fire of a program since then, often going head-to-head with UJoisey as the worst team in the B1G.

Even if Gary Patterson is serious about pursuing one more head coaching gig (I doubt that he is, to be honest), why would he want to go to Lincoln and deal with that nonsense?
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I’m always wary of aging coaches because I worry about them losing energy for recruiting and being too stuck in their ways to adapt to different schemes or offensive philosophies. Saban is really the only one I can think of who’s consistently done those things. Paterno held on for a long time too but he had some inconsistency at the end of his tenure.
                  Did you mean that Saban has at least adapted to different schemes and still won at a high level?

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Did you mean that Saban has at least adapted to different schemes and still won at a high level?
                    Yes. He’s shifted from a one-back style that was still heavy on single backs and even used I formations to a more shotgun happy spread-to-run and even pass-happy at times offense. It took a bit for things to mesh but the time that Lane Kiffin (of all people) spent there fundamentally changed Alabama’s offensive identity into something more “modern”. Saban’s also maintained his edge in recruiting and hired a long string of successful coordinators. Some of them were former HCs looking to rehab their images like Kiffin and Sarkisian while others were looking for their first jobs elsewhere like Smart. But the list of guys who’ve maintained elite FBS football programs deep into old age in the scholarship limit era is basically just Saban and to a lesser extent Paterno + Bowden at FSU. Guys get old, tired, or develop health issues from the stress of the job and I believe it eventually takes a toll on their on-field performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Some D1 message boards make ours like G-Rated. Wow.
                      You're right about that, and on these boards it's usually only a couple of us flipping out at a time. On some of the D1 boards it's as if they opened the asylum and 300 wingnuts zoomed out to post on the board.

Comment

Yes. He’s shifted from a one-back style that was still heavy on single backs and even used I formations to a more shotgun happy spread-to-run and even pass-happy at times offense. It took a bit for things to mesh but the time that Lane Kiffin (of all people) spent there fundamentally changed Alabama’s offensive identity into something more “modern”. Saban’s also maintained his edge in recruiting and hired a long string of successful coordinators. Some of them were former HCs looking to rehab their images like Kiffin and Sarkisian while others were looking for their first jobs elsewhere like Smart. But the list of guys who’ve maintained elite FBS football programs deep into old age in the scholarship limit era is basically just Saban and to a lesser extent Paterno + Bowden at FSU. Guys get old, tired, or develop health issues from the stress of the job and I believe it eventually takes a toll on their on-field performance.
                        Iowa's Kirk Ferentz is starting to fit that mold that ultimately did in Paterno and Bowden. Iowa's offense, if you want to call it that, has been stagnant, at best, in recent years. Someone might wanna tell the Banana Beaks that it's okay to bring a quarterback who can, you know, actually throw the ball and hire an offensive coordinator (a) whose play calling isn't offensive to watch and (b) the head coach's son.

Comment

• Rutgers 17
                          Michigan 14

Half

Something brewing in Jersey?

Comment

• Jimbo lost his 5th straight today. They may be stuck with him. Buyout is insane ... even by SEC standards.

Comment

• I'm honestly shocked by the Georgia Tennessee score today.

Comment

• Heavy drama in Baton Rouge

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X