X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It was because of the presence of Joe Paterno. Paterno fought against the monied establishment of NCAA sports his entire, long career which created resentment on a national level. So, when there was the opening to bring PSU (synonymous with Joe Paterno in many people's eyes) down, the momentum built to the max and there weren't enough people who questioned it.
    Unfortunately, D1 college athletics is more about money than ever and increasingly unconnected to the supposed academic mission of a university. And Penn State is right up among them as my brother the Penn State alum will be glad to tell you. D2 has its own problems, but to me is more representative of what college athletic programs should be.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They certainly haven't suffered the consequences Penn State did. After getting pushback about the Penn State sanctions, the NCAA appears to have just thrown up its hands and said, "Do what you will" to member schools. North Carolina got no penalty for blatant academic cheating. Their defense in a nutshell was that other students cheated as well as the athletes, so why should the athletes be penalized?

Sexual crimes against children are always going to be considered more heinous than those against adults, but it should be pointed out that some of Nassar's victims were young teenage girls who were barely more than children. I don't know how Michigan State got away with that without some sort of penalty to their sports program.
    The NCAA is run by idiots.

It’s the same corrupt organization that allows Flori-duh State to remain the Seminole’s and perform their War Chant but IUP couldn’t be the Indians despite the fact you can’t spell Indiana without spelling Indian and we can’t have our true fight song in Cherokee.

Penn State did deserve some sort of penalty as an institution but I don’t think cutting scholarships to kids who had no part of the crime was the right course of action. Firing Joepa and taking down that ridiculous statue was appropriate. Firing everyone who covered it up was correct and then letting the legal system take care of the rest. Penn State paying restitution to the victims was also the right action.

Did Meatchicken State pay a dime to anyone?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yet they don’t get the same derision Penn State still gets despite the fact their sex scandals are just as bad in scope and on a larger scale. Larry Nassar had a lot of victims.

Could it be the victims at Meatchicken State are female so it causes less OUTRAGE?
    It was because of the presence of Joe Paterno. Paterno fought against the monied establishment of NCAA sports his entire, long career which created resentment on a national level. So, when there was the opening to bring PSU (synonymous with Joe Paterno in many people's eyes) down, the momentum built to the max and there weren't enough people who questioned it.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yet they don’t get the same derision Penn State still gets despite the fact their sex scandals are just as bad in scope and on a larger scale. Larry Nassar had a lot of victims.

Could it be the victims at Meatchicken State are female so it causes less OUTRAGE?
    They certainly haven't suffered the consequences Penn State did. After getting pushback about the Penn State sanctions, the NCAA appears to have just thrown up its hands and said, "Do what you will" to member schools. North Carolina got no penalty for blatant academic cheating. Their defense in a nutshell was that other students cheated as well as the athletes, so why should the athletes be penalized?

Sexual crimes against children are always going to be considered more heinous than those against adults, but it should be pointed out that some of Nassar's victims were young teenage girls who were barely more than children. I don't know how Michigan State got away with that without some sort of penalty to their sports program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Michigan State has made some very bad choices in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Yikes! I wasn’t following the story so I just read a new article about it and wow. Talk about a total dumpster fire.
    Michigan State has made some very bad choices in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Mel Tucker termination hearing was today. Dude is toast.
    Yikes! I wasn’t following the story so I just read a new article about it and wow. Talk about a total dumpster fire.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Narduzzi already being mentioned as perhaps a serious candidate.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Steelers offense may be worse than Pitt's.

Edit: next play 71 yard TD

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I'm watching after the fact, and that entire situation could have wound up a lot worse than it did. Those were two sides that desperately wanted a piece of the other.
    The kid who delivered the cheap shot is from Boulder. His family's home address was posted online and he's receiving death threats. Heavy police involvement.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tough break for Coach Prime. Sounds like Travis Hunter will be out at least three weeks. Nasty cheap shot.
    I'm watching after the fact, and that entire situation could have wound up a lot worse than it did. Those were two sides that desperately wanted a piece of the other.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The irony is the PAC 12 looking great this season.
    Tough break for Coach Prime. Sounds like Travis Hunter will be out at least three weeks. Nasty cheap shot.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    The irony is the PAC 12 looking great this season.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Are you actually not looking forward to the new budding rivalry between Pitt and Cal Berkeley (neither is anybody else).
    Ugh... The worst. Completely insane. It will not get a second of attention from my eyeballs, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X