Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This playoff will come down to who is healthiest in a month - and Covid-free. Unlike most years I don't see a truly dominant team.
    I feel like every team has a glass jaw. For Shepherd, I could see us winning the region or losing the first game. Hell, I could see us losing to SRU and being left out. Who knows?

Comment

This playoff will come down to who is healthiest in a month - and Covid-free. Unlike most years I don't see a truly dominant team.
      It's gonna make the playoffs fun to watch.

My personal bias is I like as many psac teams and even more so psac west teams in. Just more interesting to watch for me.

Comment

Tort is close to .500 in big games. Maybe a hair above it. I can't run the numbers right now.

There have been 'big games' not involving those three teams.

He is 1-0 vs Kutztown, 2-0 vs Ashland, 2-0 vs West Chester in 2017 (including winning State Game on road), beat Assumption in playoffs, beat New Haven.

But, yes, 4-4 vs Rock and Cal and 0-2 vs Shepherd. Also, the West Florida home loss.
        As someone that has always just sort of followed things from afar, having Kutztown listed as a big game still feels kind of weird, even though their last sub .500 season was back in 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by KU_2014 View Post

As someone that has always just sort of followed things from afar, having Kutztown listed as a big game still feels kind of weird, even though their last sub .500 season was back in 2013.
          Kutztown has a good program going. Seem to be very well coached and disciplined. Out of all the PSAC teams I've seen, I'd say they exemplify the well coached and disciplined the most. They've definitely had a good thing going going back to 2010/2011 it seems.

Comment

• 55 and rain on Saturday. How much should I bring for my kids to partake in the Kona Ice truck?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              55 and rain on Saturday. How much should I bring for my kids to partake in the Kona Ice truck?
              A lot. Lol.

The Kona is at least on your side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post

Okay, kid.
                Not a kid but okay pal.

Comment

• I'm in no way saying or suggesting anything, but the entire tone from everybody these last two weeks with the SRU and Cal games sure sounded like it did at the end of the Curt era. Teams blowing leads; teams struggling in what we would call "big games"; teams struggling against Cal.

People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't. Cal has a solid program. They always recruit well and they seem to do a good job at developing their players. And for whatever reason... Throw records away, forget who is coaching, and ignore the personnel on both sides. Both programs just seem to match up incredibly well to each other. It's interesting that a bunch of the SRU/IUP games, while hyped and some very competitive, often end up with lopsided scores.

These are all the same conversations we were having when Curt ended up leaving for JMU. He would have never gotten the boot at IUP. And I highly doubt Tort will, I think he's overall done a nice job. But there things that need to improve. That 2017 team isn't walking through that door. Much like the 2012 team wasn't at the end of Curt's tenure. It's a unique conversation for certain.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I'm in no way saying or suggesting anything, but the entire tone from everybody these last two weeks with the SRU and Cal games sure sounded like it did at the end of the Curt era. Teams blowing leads; teams struggling in what we would call "big games"; teams struggling against Cal.

People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't. Cal has a solid program. They always recruit well and they seem to do a good job at developing their players. And for whatever reason... Throw records away, forget who is coaching, and ignore the personnel on both sides. Both programs just seem to match up incredibly well to each other. It's interesting that a bunch of the SRU/IUP games, while hyped and some very competitive, often end up with lopsided scores.

These are all the same conversations we were having when Curt ended up leaving for JMU. He would have never gotten the boot at IUP. And I highly doubt Tort will, I think he's overall done a nice job. But there things that need to improve. That 2017 team isn't walking through that door. Much like the 2012 team wasn't at the end of Curt's tenure. It's a unique conversation for certain.
                    ???? The only, in my experience, coach of any sport who was pushed out, very gently, for the program going down hill was CAL MBB Coach Bill Brown who had done very well early but had clearly lost connection with today's game and players. Other than that basically as long as you want the job in a PASSHE school, it's yours, unless you do something clearly against some rule. It doesn't seem that even the most ardent supporters have the clout to get someone fired as is very common in D1 sports of all sorts. I'm sure the exceptions will be pointed out.

Comment

I'm in no way saying or suggesting anything, but the entire tone from everybody these last two weeks with the SRU and Cal games sure sounded like it did at the end of the Curt era. Teams blowing leads; teams struggling in what we would call "big games"; teams struggling against Cal.

Well, Cal and SRU don't get the luxury IUP does of the back-to-back for 10 straight years. Thank the dip$hit home office for that 'random' glitch.

I'd love an explanation on that topic (IUP plays SRU and Cal back to back for 10 seasons in a row).

Comment

People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't.
                        Armenti got fired in May 2012, Luckhardt retired the following month.

Under Luckhardt, from 2002 to 2011, Cal had at least a share of seven division titles, five double-digit win seasons, five playoff berths, eight playoff wins, and three regional championships. Luckhardt went 6-4 vs. IUP and 7-3 vs. SRU.

Since Luckhardt retired, Cal has had as many division titles as Gannon (1), one double-digit win season, two playoff berths, and one playoff win (against IUP). Keller and Dunn have combined to go 6-4 vs. IUP and 2-6 vs. SRU.

Maybe it's because Lucky set the bar so high, but I'd say that's a step back.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Well, Cal and SRU don't get the luxury IUP does of the back-to-back for 10 straight years. Thank the dip$hit home office for that 'random' glitch.

I'd love an explanation on that topic (IUP plays SRU and Cal back to back for 10 seasons in a row).
                          Maybe that's the real IUP Rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Armenti got fired in May 2012, Luckhardt retired the following month.

Under Luckhardt, from 2002 to 2011, Cal had at least a share of seven division titles, five double-digit win seasons, five playoff berths, eight playoff wins, and three regional championships. Luckhardt went 6-4 vs. IUP and 7-3 vs. SRU.

Since Luckhardt retired, Cal has had as many division titles as Gannon (1), one double-digit win season, two playoff berths, and one playoff win (against IUP). Keller and Dunn have combined to go 6-4 vs. IUP and 2-6 vs. SRU.

Maybe it's because Lucky set the bar so high, but I'd say that's a step back.
                            You forgot leading the country in player arrests in Luckhardt's stats.

Now, there's no doubt Luckhardt had many, many advantages (some legal, some not) under Armenti that the past two did not get to experience.

I think Dunn is a fantastic coach. He has just as good a roster as IUP (some would say better) with less money. He's recruiting very well to fit their system.

Comment

You forgot leading the country in player arrests in Luckhardt's stats.

Now, there's no doubt Luckhardt had many, many advantages (some legal, some not) under Armenti that the past two did not get to experience.

I think Dunn is a fantastic coach. He has just as good a roster as IUP (some would say better) with less money. He's recruiting very well to fit their system.
                              I don't think its fair to assume that illegal stuff happened under Luckhardt and Armenti. Unethical and violating the spirit of several PASSHE policies? Absolutely.

I agree on Dunn. Got to know him a bit working on integration stuff. He's first class and being a Cal guy loves the place. I don't see him ever doing anything unethical. Perfect hire.

Comment

IUP also got Edinboro-Seton Hill and Clarion-Gannon back-to-back every year since 2014. It looks like teams are grouped in pairs and those groups are randomly ordered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 1.13.21 PM.png
Views:	392
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	619091
                                http://www.indianagazette.com
                                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X