Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

What was your old account?
    I was iupcheerleader88, stepped away from the board for a while and got a new phone. I like my
    Profile name now a lot better. So it worked out well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it. If you have guys playing 70% of the snaps (or more) they are going to tire. That's just being human.

The three away games were all blowouts so it is harder to compare data. The bench got emptied in the Mercyhurst and Clarion games.

I'm assuming there isn't much depth in the secondary to sub guys. The DL rotates constantly.
      Tort said the same thing on the hawk talk show, maybe against cal that was it, but things went south in the third quarter against shep

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Tort said the same thing on the hawk talk show, maybe against cal that was it, but things went south in the third quarter against shep

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that is the whole story. Some of it. He's not going to say they are getting out-coached.

Something happens at halftime. Not a coincidence.

Comment

Of all the game quotes the one that jumped out to me was from Mitchell ... who, paraphrasing, said they took their foot off the pedal at halftime.

Wonder if was talking about the players or the defensive bend-don't-break style they started playing in the second half. Mitchell went nuts once IUP quit pressuring him.

Comment

Of all the game quotes the one that jumped out to me was from Mitchell ... who, paraphrasing, said they took their foot off the pedal at halftime.

Wonder if was talking about the players or the defensive bend-don't-break style they started playing in the second half. Mitchell went nuts once IUP quit pressuring him.
              Although I couldn't possibly identify it, another possibility of some defensive tell giving a decent offensive coordinator all that he needs to move more freely than in the first half. It may not even be something planned as much as a tendency for some players, especially pass defenders, to back off just enough that receivers have enough extra room to get open.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Although I couldn't possibly identify it, another possibility of some defensive tell giving a decent offensive coordinator all that he needs to move more freely than in the first half. It may not even be something planned as much as a tendency for some players, especially pass defenders, to back off just enough that receivers have enough extra room to get open.
                Who knows. Luckily Edinboro doesn't score much. They put up 37 on West Chester but I don't think that QB is with them any longer. It should be a good game for the IUP D to keep working on things.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think that is the whole story. Some of it. He's not going to say they are getting out-coached.

Bingo!

Comment

I've had several coaches over the years, at both the high school and college level, say that one of the most common misconceptions in football is the "halftime adjustments." You don't practice something all week and then scrap it in a 20-minute halftime and implement a new scheme. Usually, it's a matter of re-inforcing what you worked on during the week.

People like me ask them all the time, "what did you change at halftime?" and the truth is they just found a way to get the players to do what they were coached to do.
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• How do does everyone think Harry has played so far this season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I've had several coaches over the years, at both the high school and college level, say that one of the most common misconceptions in football is the "halftime adjustments." You don't practice something all week and then scrap it in a 20-minute halftime and implement a new scheme. Usually, it's a matter of re-inforcing what you worked on during the week.

People like me ask them all the time, "what did you change at halftime?" and the truth is they just found a way to get the players to do what they were coached to do.
                        I don't think 'adjustments' and 'new scheme' are the same thing.

But, regardless, what is your theory on the first half points allowed compared to the drastically worse second half points allowed? Four home games in a row isn't a fluke.

Rounding numbers, they are giving up 8-9 points in the first half and 22-23 in the second.

What are the visitors seeing in the first half, tweaking and exploiting in the second? Or, do you think it's simply they are worn out in the second half due to the short rotation of players?

I really think Saturday's second half defensive implosion had a lot to do with getting far to conservative.

Comment

• Looking back in a time a bit (since the start of the now-yearly Cal/SRU back-to-back), IUP has gone 6-0 the following week. Granted, all six 'hangover' games were against Clarion.
                          Year Opponent IUP won by:
                          14 Clarion 31-0
                          15 Clarion 28-14
                          16 Clarion 42-17
                          17 Clarion 23-17
                          18 Clarion 24-23
                          19 Clarion 59-21
                          They almost did lose the '17 and '18 games but pulled them out. The 2018 game, in particular, Clarion jumped out to a 20-0 lead at Miller Stadium before the Hawks ended the game on a 24-3 run.

Edinboro takes over the 'hangover' role this year. IUP has won 9 of 10 in the series. The last three games, IUP has held the Scots to just 6, 6 and 7 points.

Quick look at Edinboro:

PPG - 19
                          PPG OPP - 27

Rushing - 98 ypg / 9 TDs
                          Passing - 154 ypg / 6 TDs

FG - 6 for 11

Penalties - 50 ypg

Time of Possession - Even

Best showings - (at) West Chester (Loss, 41-37), California (Loss, 20-12), Seton Hill (W, 17-7)

Of note:

- Entering Miller Stadium on 3-game skid

- Held Cal QB Noah Mitchell to 263 yards and just (1) TD ... also sacked him (3) times

But ...

- Let SRU run all over them to the tune of 267 yards and 3 TDs. Rock QB Andrew Koester also tossed for 266 yards and (4) TDs

Overall, Edinboro seems a bit sporadic -- common for young teams. Good moments this season along with bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post
                            How do does everyone think Harry has played so far this season?

Comment

• I don't think that teams change schemes, but they definitely find things to exploit in a defense to fit their schemes.

Comment

• Edinboro is inexperienced all over the place. They've played several teams pretty tough this year and had some slip away from them. They could have won the West Chester and Cal games plus the Mercyhurst and Gannon games. I like the true freshman QB from FL.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X