Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Edinboro isn't a terrible team, but...

1. Still wondering why Charles dressed but didn't play. that looks like internal discipline.

2. Woodberry was uncharacteristically off all day. He hit some big passes on occasion but he was just 14 of 33 with 1 TD. That's a 20% swing in completions without any INTs or sacks.

3. IUP secondary didn't give up 300 yards but they surprisingly didn't have any picks either.

4. Did IUP change the special teams playbook after Nulph left? Because it seemed like he knew what to expect. Two blocked punts, a recovered onside kick, and a pressured FG that led to a rare miss.

5. IUP committed just 5 penalties for 53 yards. But Edinboro committed just 1 for 5 yards. Two of those IUP penalties were personal fouls.

Commenting on your comments:

1. Irv dressing and not playing -- by the way it put the offensive staff in to a coma -- ruined the season. I suspect we'll hear tomorrow.

2. Woodberry was under heavy heat most of the day. Also, see No. 1. Reference: coma. That was the most boring play-calling ever. The IUP OC is fascinated with also throwing low-probability fades, etc., all day long. If said OC just worried about first downs yesterday they'd have been in much better shape.

3. Edinboro no doubt saw Cal pick them apart with the dink and dunk. Edinboro was hitting 7-9 yard routes whenever they wanted to. IUP was getting no heat on the QB. Not sure the QB even got touched.

4. You give up the punt block heard round the (d2) world last week. One so bad, in fact, it cost you the game. Fix it, right? A week later the first punt gets blocked. A series later the next punt gets blocked. Three in a row. This week's version ignited a major underdog and gave it a TD. The onside kick was a great call. Obviously they had huge momentum and IUP never saw it coming. The FG ... I think he just missed.

5. As fans, we're used to dumb personal fouls. Gave up on that long ago. I think Tort builds it into the game plan ... expecting a couple weekly, that is.

Comment

• Well, they are going to need a busy off-season. Many holes to plug.

Top of the list: Do they finally roll with Javon at QB next year or do they bring in yet another transfer?

- If Javon is the plan, I'd start him these last two games. The outcomes are meaningless. Might as well get him two more games under his belt..

RB should be good with Houser back and Stewart. Look for an addition here for depth. Kid from Edinboro is on roster and didn't play this year.

WR ... hope Duane stays. Try everything to get the kid from Clarion.

The DL (I think) all returns next year.

CB - both starters are gone. Look for transfer help.

The safety position, while kids this year as freshmen, should see significant gains next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

1. Irv dressing and not playing -- by the way it put the offensive staff in to a coma -- ruined the season. I suspect we'll hear tomorrow.

2. Woodberry was under heavy heat most of the day. Also, see No. 1. Reference: coma. That was the most boring play-calling ever. The IUP OC is fascinated with also throwing low-probability fades, etc., all day long. If said OC just worried about first downs yesterday they'd have been in much better shape.

3. Edinboro no doubt saw Cal pick them apart with the dink and dunk. Edinboro was hitting 7-9 yard routes whenever they wanted to. IUP was getting no heat on the QB. Not sure the QB even got touched.

4. You give up the punt block heard round the (d2) world last week. One so bad, in fact, it cost you the game. Fix it, right? A week later the first punt gets blocked. A series later the next punt gets blocked. Three in a row. This week's version ignited a major underdog and gave it a TD. The onside kick was a great call. Obviously they had huge momentum and IUP never saw it coming. The FG ... I think he just missed.

5. As fans, we're used to dumb personal fouls. Gave up on that long ago. I think Tort builds it into the game plan ... expecting a couple weekly, that is.
        IUP got 3 sacks on Bernard. Plus the defensive fumble recovery in the red zone. He definitely was pressured. Maybe even underestimated.

Comment

WR ... hope Duane stays. Try everything to get the kid from Clarion.

Comment

• He's not leaving here to stay in D2. It wouldn't shock me if he tests the D1 waters.

Comment

He's not leaving here to stay in D2. It wouldn't shock me if he tests the D1 waters.

Comment

• Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Armenti got fired in May 2012, Luckhardt retired the following month.

Under Luckhardt, from 2002 to 2011, Cal had at least a share of seven division titles, five double-digit win seasons, five playoff berths, eight playoff wins, and three regional championships. Luckhardt went 6-4 vs. IUP and 7-3 vs. SRU.

Since Luckhardt retired, Cal has had as many division titles as Gannon (1), one double-digit win season, two playoff berths, and one playoff win (against IUP). Keller and Dunn have combined to go 6-4 vs. IUP and 2-6 vs. SRU.

Maybe it's because Lucky set the bar so high, but I'd say that's a step back.
                    I think, Matt, my overall point is that there are certain IUP posters on this message board who believed that once the spending spree related to athletics, football in particular, ended there, so too would any potential of success that Cal might drum up in football. There were posters who truly felt that after that era ended, IUP would return to winning 9 out of every 10 against Cal. That just hasn't happened. If anything, what the period with Armenti and Lucky did was create a sustained culture there that didn't allow Cal to fall back to irrelevance. They're in the mix with IUP and SRU in the West almost every single year. Do they win it most years now? As you said, no. But I think the program is highly, highly competitive, which was the broader point I was trying to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

There is now pressure on the AD to fix this ****.
                      From who? This message board? Come on...

I don't know who is keeping the football program afloat with donations. I imagine though, most of those people are pretty tight with Tort, Jim Smith, and Mike Campolo. They have all been there forever. Football isn't big enough at IUP or in the town of Indiana, PA for a message board to cause water cooler talk that ends up creating changes on the football coaching staff.

Comment

• May I ask to hear your rationale behind why the hire of the O-Coord was not a bad hire?

Comment

• This is probably true.

I think the sample size with some stuff is large enough now to assume that Tort inherited a great situation in his first season in 2017. Curt had a very, very talented roster there. They had THE guy with Max Redfield to make that defense feared. But I think mostly, Tort was just a much looser guy than Curt. They went from playing for Nick Saban, who controlled down to the exact minute when they had a water break, to playing for the guy that laughed with them and put an arm around their shoulder when they got chewed out in practice. I think it worked and was the right mix then. It might not now. Feel like when you see focus type mistakes, a lot of personal fouls, guys arguing on the sidelines, etc., that screams of a team who's just not buttoned up. Typically that reflects the coaching staff and the head coach.

Maybe it's a roster construction issue and they need a couple alphas to take control at the player level. Maybe it's a new flavor of assistants who are a bit more authoritarian. Maybe its a combination. I'm with you though, I don't expect any changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

From who? This message board? Come on...

I don't know who is keeping the football program afloat with donations. I imagine though, most of those people are pretty tight with Tort, Jim Smith, and Mike Campolo. They have all been there forever. Football isn't big enough at IUP or in the town of Indiana, PA for a message board to cause water cooler talk that ends up creating changes on the football coaching staff.

Comment

• The QB isnt making up how deep he drops on each play on his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                Edinboro isn't a terrible team, but...

1. Still wondering why Charles dressed but didn't play. that looks like internal discipline.

2. Woodberry was uncharacteristically off all day. He hit some big passes on occasion but he was just 14 of 33 with 1 TD. That's a 20% swing in completions without any INTs or sacks.

3. IUP secondary didn't give up 300 yards but they surprisingly didn't have any picks either.

4. Did IUP change the special teams playbook after Nulph left? Because it seemed like he knew what to expect. Two blocked punts, a recovered onside kick, and a pressured FG that led to a rare miss.

5. IUP committed just 5 penalties for 53 yards. But Edinboro committed just 1 for 5 yards. Two of those IUP penalties were personal fouls.
                                Irv dislocated thumb so stop assuming crap on a college kid that has done everything right since he arrived on campus. In fact he should of got ghost in 2019 when administrators screwed up his paperwork. Credit to him and the staff to keep him as I am sure he could of played 1AA elsewhere.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X