Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

QB market gets flooded every off-season. I'd just prefer they find one who will be here more than one season.

But, if they do come across a one-year guy they can't refuse ... so be it.
    I was being facetious. The mystery FIU QB who started the season as QB1 at Edinboro is no longer on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

So its pretty clear that bringing in a one year mercenary QB hasn't been that effective. Its really likely the teams record would be the same or even better with Javon at QB this year. The problem is that the Coaches tend to focus on the big stars that come in. With Irv out, they didn't know what to do in the red zone.

Hard to say. Factually, yes, Maxwell and Harry are leaving here with a combined 0 playoff wins.

Would they have been 5-3 right now with Javon all season? Maybe better. Maybe worse. Who knows.

Maxwell was a very good player. He was a blown coverage by the defense away from winning a playoff game so it's hard to pin that one on him. He put up 42 points on a great SRU team up there and still lost. That's not his fault. Put it this way, I'd bring in a Maxwell-type every year if they could find one.

Harry is 4-2 as a starter. He played well enough to beat California. That loss wasn't on him. Last week's debacle -- likely the worst loss in program history -- is on the whole organization.

I don't think there's any doubt they are transfer QB shopping in the coming weeks. Ideally, you find a mid-year transfer so he's here in the Spring. Unfortunately, some of the best options don't become available until after D1 Spring ball wraps up.

Comment

• I imagine the chances for a program like IUP to bring in a high quality transfer QB every 1-2 years is better than developing a HS recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          I imagine the chances for a program like IUP to bring in a high quality transfer QB every 1-2 years is better than developing a HS recruit.
          I'd agree. The money is there.

Comment

I'd agree. The money is there.
            Easier to grab a proven guy like Woodberry then develop a local kid who could even wash out off the field.

Comment

Easier to grab a proven guy like Woodberry then develop a local kid who could even wash out off the field.
              Nobody else is getting 1 yr transfers at QB, Maxwell and woodberry were talented, but then you have to consider integration into the system, knowing team mates, the Knowing how best to use his talents- leadership, 2+ year transfers at qb is better

Comment

Nobody else is getting 1 yr transfers at QB, Maxwell and woodberry were talented, but then you have to consider integration into the system, knowing team mates, the Knowing how best to use his talents- leadership, 2+ year transfers at qb is better
                They are in kind of a weird spot with Javon. He was brought in as a dual-threat replacement for Lenny but that is not what IUP is looking for in a QB now.

Comment

IIRC, Slip has done it a few times.

Comment

IIRC, Slip has done it a few times.

I have no problems with Maxwell and Harry. Of course, it would have been fantastic to have them each an extra year. But, they were far from IUP's problem (minus Harry missing the first two games).

As IUPGroundHog just posted, I think they are in a tough spot with Javon. To go with him next year, they have to likely change the offense back to the Lenny-style system. To do that, it likely means they need a backup capable of running it.

Comment

QB market gets flooded every off-season. I'd just prefer they find one who will be here more than one season.

But, if they do come across a one-year guy they can't refuse ... so be it.
                      Deciding whether the one year guy is someone they can't refuse, that's the big judgement call isn't it. the quality one year guys have less interest, so IUP can get them, its like buying day old bread, you can get higher quality for cheaper, but you have to eat it right away. I think there is a reason not many programs go after these talented guys.

Comment

Deciding whether the one year guy is someone they can't refuse, that's the big judgement call isn't it. the quality one year guys have less interest, so IUP can get them, its like buying day old bread, you can get higher quality for cheaper, but you have to eat it right away. I think there is a reason not many programs go after these talented guys.
                        Well ... I think you guys might be more attractive to this type of player than most D-II programs. There's usually more buzz around your program than most.

So, if you enter the mind of more potential transfers, you also have a better chance of attracting somebody you can't really pass up. If I were to guess, I'd say that will be the position you are in on Aug. 25, 2022.

Comment

I trust they'll find a quality QB -- be it a one-year or two-year guy. They seem to have a knack for identifying good QBs.

The most troubling area in my mind entering the off-season is the defense.

I know the whole DL returns next year but I sure wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add to it.

They'll need two CBs -- likely two transfers who will be Day 1 starters. Word is there isn't much depth in the program on the corners.

I'd probably add a transfer LB, too. Kelly returning helps.

Safety should be pretty solidified for the next 3 seasons. They took their lumps this year (as freshmen always do). That group should be much improved next year and then have the chance to be pretty special in '23 and '24. We have to remember those kids went to the prom last May. It's a talented group who got its growing pains out of the way.

Offense ...

RB - Houser returns. Immediate boost. Stewart, too. The Edinboro transfer will also be in the mix. I'd still add another one via transfer. You can't have enough.

WR - Pretty good group returns headlined by Duane. Probably add one more via transfer.

OL - Dauberman is a huge loss.

TE - Solid for next year with returners.

K/P should be set and in good shape. Side note: hopefully punt protection is fixed.

This assumes, of course, all those mentioned here do indeed stay. I assume we'll lose a couple to the portal.

Comment

• IF they bring in one QB they might as well bring in two because Davis will be gone this time and now he has some tape.

I think this off season will be interesting with transfers with everyone getting a free year jamming up rosters and playing time.... ..and possibly a lot of grad transfers with that year of class with no loss of fb eligibility.

Comment

I trust they'll find a quality QB -- be it a one-year or two-year guy. They seem to have a knack for identifying good QBs.

The most troubling area in my mind entering the off-season is the defense.

I know the whole DL returns next year but I sure wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add to it.

They'll need two CBs -- likely two transfers who will be Day 1 starters. Word is there isn't much depth in the program on the corners.

I'd probably add a transfer LB, too. Kelly returning helps.

Safety should be pretty solidified for the next 3 seasons. They took their lumps this year (as freshmen always do). That group should be much improved next year and then have the chance to be pretty special in '23 and '24. We have to remember those kids went to the prom last May. It's a talented group who got its growing pains out of the way.

Offense ...

RB - Houser returns. Immediate boost. Stewart, too. The Edinboro transfer will also be in the mix. I'd still add another one via transfer. You can't have enough.

WR - Pretty good group returns headlined by Duane. Probably add one more via transfer.

OL - Dauberman is a huge loss.

TE - Solid for next year with returners.

K/P should be set and in good shape. Side note: hopefully punt protection is fixed.

This assumes, of course, all those mentioned here do indeed stay. I assume we'll lose a couple to the portal.
                              Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.

Comment

Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.
                                Wondering how this season would have gone if they remembered they had a game a few days ago?

2021 goes in the books as a disaster.

This team could easily be 3-5 right now. Think about that. Could (should) also be 7-1.

Best case end it 7-3 and at least go in to off-season on a positive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X