Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He could have transferred to another school. Sounds like his decision-making wasn't too good.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Stacking your roster has become quite a proposition. The portal is so full yearly now because, well, said recruits leave on a whim -- constantly. It's never been so easy to transfer out.

I think it would be fascinating to study the past 8 years worth of high school recruits for the entire PSAC -- and see how many actually finished at the school they started at. I think it would be a shockingly low number.

So, I agree with your point. You still have to take high school players. But, you better be dang sure of them. The 'fringe' recruit of the past is a big risk -- and likely taking up a spot you could use for a portal guy.

And, obviously, not all portal imports work out. Some are ego maniacs, etc.

I mentioned IUP probably taking 7-9 transfers this off-season. In the past, that would have sounded like a lot. It's just kind of the norm now.

IUP's hit the jackpot with its past two QB transfers. Bad part is both were just one-year guys.

But, the lore to the portal is obvious. Most high school recruits are nowhere near ready to play. Portal guys can not only play right away but many will start right away.
      They've also struck out before with QB transfers. I just hope that the relaxed portal and the scholarship dollar disparity within the conference doesn't result in the haves poaching starters from the have nots. I don't really think that's the case but its certainly a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They've also struck out before with QB transfers. I just hope that the relaxed portal and the scholarship dollar disparity within the conference doesn't result in the haves poaching starters from the have nots. I don't really think that's the case but its certainly a possibility.
        You could say it is starting to slowly happen.

IUP took (2) from Edinboro and (1) from Clarion last year.

One of SRU's stars came from Seton Hill and their starting safety is from Mercyhurst.

I'd guess where you start to really see intra-division transfers is with the grad students -- similar to what the kid from Mercyhurst who now plays for SRU did.

'Poaching' would imply they are targeting them while still at their current school. I doubt that is happening. Once they hit the portal, it's open season.

Comment

One of SRU's stars came from Seton Hill and their starting safety is from Mercyhurst.

I'd guess where you start to really see intra-division transfers is with the grad students -- similar to what the kid from Mercyhurst who now plays for SRU did.

'Poaching' would imply they are targeting them while still at their current school. I doubt that is happening. Once they hit the portal, it's open season.
          My understanding of Kelly transferring to IUP was that he used the coaching change to enter the portal and his motivation for going to IUP was because his cousin was on the team. IUP also gave him more money than Edinboro. Unsure about Woody.

Only one coaching change happening in the West this year - but I think we'll see some WPIAL kids who have gone to the PSAC East, MEC, and GMAC look for new homes.

Comment

Shepherd got Schwartz from Lock Haven (all conference RB) and 2 from Ship in Gontarek (WR) and a DB who doesn't understand what deep third is sometimes. And didn't that TE who was all conference from LH as well transfer to West Chester? It's already happening. I agree, it's not poaching, but the better players at not so great programs are leaving as soon as they establish themselves.

Comment

• I'm curious to see how many grad transfers happen this year and next with the covid year and having a year of credits without burning a football year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Anfreenee Williams at Edinboro end up transferring at some point. I was kinda surprised he came back to the boro but after being out 7 years he almost had to start over and get the rust off.

Zinobile if he doesnt try the MAC is probably looking at SRU and IUP right off the bat. Duane Brown might be looking MAC.

IUP seems to go smaller HS classes than Cal and SRU right now. Even though SRU gets a ton of transfers they have huge HS classes. Ive wondered seeing that for awhile if that would bite IUP at some point. ( maybe it's just my perception Idk)

Comment

• SHipp also has a few guys from CLarion. An OL and a WR that was a RB at Clarion I think.

Comment

• Woody shouldve probably stayed at Boro. I dont see him playing much at IUP barring injuries.

Comment

• Of the 16 Seniors on ROCK's Senior day; 11 have been the full 4/5 years.

Merritt (Mercyhurst grad transfer) will probably get his first start this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                      Woody shouldve probably stayed at Boro. I dont see him playing much at IUP barring injuries.
                      If he's still here. We'll see. IUP has two studs at RB for the next several years in Houser and Stewart.

Comment

I'm curious to see how many grad transfers happen this year and next with the covid year and having a year of credits without burning a football year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Anfreenee Williams at Edinboro end up transferring at some point. I was kinda surprised he came back to the boro but after being out 7 years he almost had to start over and get the rust off.

Zinobile if he doesnt try the MAC is probably looking at SRU and IUP right off the bat. Duane Brown might be looking MAC.

IUP seems to go smaller HS classes than Cal and SRU right now. Even though SRU gets a ton of transfers they have huge HS classes. Ive wondered seeing that for awhile if that would bite IUP at some point. ( maybe it's just my perception Idk)
                        Zinobile is the star but I assume Clarion gets crushed in the portal starting a week from today.

Aside from the WR they have some nice players in the program.

What I'm hearing (not confirmed) is Brown is not planning to leave IUP.

Comment

Woody shouldve probably stayed at Boro. I dont see him playing much at IUP barring injuries.
                          Do you know what happened to Boro RB CJ Reyes-Diggs? He showed some promise in 2019 as a true freshman.

There's another LB out there. Edinboro had a kid from Jeannette quit over covid protocol. He's anti vax, was directly exposed, and quit over the 10 day quarantine period. His loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB;n624642[B
                            ]I'm curious to see how many grad transfers happen this year and next with the covid year and having a year of credits without burning a football year.[/B]

I suspect we will see more grad transfers this winter than ever before in the PSAC -- largely due to the Covid year as you mentioned.

I'd guess the wealthy teams will reap the benefits.

Comment

If I recall, the one left town after essentially taking the blame for the Shepherd playoff loss.
                              Yes, that kid left the program for some reason. He was blamed for the TD. But with IUP only rushing 3 DLs, you would have thought there would have been some help over the top. But oh well...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Yes, that kid left the program for some reason. He was blamed for the TD. But with IUP only rushing 3 DLs, you would have thought there would have been some help over the top. But oh well...
                                If I remember right, it was Mike Nash. Mike Nash was a senior that year. SMH.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X