Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing how all the newest screen name trash talkers have disappeared.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      Amazing how all the newest screen name trash talkers have disappeared.
      Hard to trash talk after you lose to Edinboro at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

CHECK THE RESUME!!! IUP BEEN STEAMROLLING THIS CONFERENCE FOR YEARS!

Comment

That's what makes me think it was current or former player(s) . Instead of talking work harder and actually perform! That's what Joe's program does!

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.
            Obviously big ticket D1 transfers on defense has paid a better return on investment for IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              Amazing how all the newest screen name trash talkers have disappeared.

Comment

• For those still following the team ... any thoughts on this trip to Greensburg?

I have no idea what to expect. Irv's thumb obviously is playing a major role. Sounds like the official word on last week was Irv was a pregame scratch. They knew he was hurt during the week but his game status was unclear.

I can guarantee one thing: plenty of good seats will be available.

I'm sure Seton Hill is chomping at the bit ... blood in the water, etc.

If IUP wants to win this game it better show up down there with some emotion. The Griffins haven't had many clear cracks at IUP ... ever. I fully expect IUP runs in to a team that will be just as amped up as Edinboro was.

By most accounts, the SH defense is drastically improved from prior years. They have a nice DL. Offensively, they have a nice power back. They aren't a great passing team. This is going to be a 3-yards and a cloud of dust approach against IUP. Although, if they've been watching film, I'd fully expect them to try and toss short stuff all day. IUP has been hard to run against. But, as we've seen the past two weeks, the short stuff has been wide open at will.

If IUP is interested -- and has worked on punt protection -- I suspect they leave Greensburg with a win. This is a big task for Tort this week to rally the troops. A 7-3 offseason, while disappointing, is a hell of a lot better than 5-5.

Comment

• The Clarion WR everybody wants took an invited visit to Toledo this past weekend. Odds aren't good he stays in D2.

Comment

For those still following the team ... any thoughts on this trip to Greensburg?

I have no idea what to expect. Irv's thumb obviously is playing a major role. Sounds like the official word on last week was Irv was a pregame scratch. They knew he was hurt during the week but his game status was unclear.

I can guarantee one thing: plenty of good seats will be available.

I'm sure Seton Hill is chomping at the bit ... blood in the water, etc.

If IUP wants to win this game it better show up down there with some emotion. The Griffins haven't had many clear cracks at IUP ... ever. I fully expect IUP runs in to a team that will be just as amped up as Edinboro was.

By most accounts, the SH defense is drastically improved from prior years. They have a nice DL. Offensively, they have a nice power back. They aren't a great passing team. This is going to be a 3-yards and a cloud of dust approach against IUP. Although, if they've been watching film, I'd fully expect them to try and toss short stuff all day. IUP has been hard to run against. But, as we've seen the past two weeks, the short stuff has been wide open at will.

If IUP is interested -- and has worked on punt protection -- I suspect they leave Greensburg with a win. This is a big task for Tort this week to rally the troops. A 7-3 offseason, while disappointing, is a hell of a lot better than 5-5.
                    IUP needs to rebound and I think they will in a big way.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

IUP needs to rebound and I think they will in a big way.
                      The STEWIES are an odd bunch. Other than SRU and CAL, they lost three winnable ( KUTZ 3-14, BORO 7-17, GU 10-14) games. And three of the CAL scores were gifts F-SHU 19, PICK 6, F-SHU 26. Their passing game only gains 1.4 yds per try more than their rushing game. They give up 18.4 ppg and score 16.4. Don't allow them to stay in the game because Logan Wiland (5.0ypc) can become a major grinder late in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.

Your question got me curious. As this season and Tort's previous (3) seasons are the most recent:

Passing Yards Allowed Per Game (rounded):

2017 - 197
                        2018 - 201
                        2019 - 199
                        2021 - 303

Which directly correlates to:

Points Allowed per game (rounded):

2017 - 15
                        2018 - 21
                        2019 - 17
                        2021 - 25

However, IUP's run defense has been quite stellar this year (and under Tort as a whole):

2017 - 89 ypg allowed
                        2018 - 144 ypg allowed
                        2019 - 103 ypg allowed
                        2021 - 77 ypg allowed

So, yes, passing yards allowed are WAY up. Points allowed per game are WAY up.

BUT, this isn't all on the secondary. Check this out:

SACKS by the IUP defense:

2017 - 36
                        2018 - 33
                        2019 - 35
                        2021 - 15 (granted, two games to go, but they will get at most to 21 or less)

Tells me QBs were getting much more time to throw the ball ... leaving the secondary in much tougher spots.

Numbers can be spun in many ways, but, end of the day, these are THE numbers.

Comment

• Tracking the IUP Offense during the Tort era:

-------
                          Category 2021 2019 2018 2017
                          Points per game (rounded) 35 44 33 35
                          Rushing Yards per game (rounded) 143 174 185 256
                          Passing Yards per game (rounded) 247 301 199 199
                          Penalties (total team) per game (rounded) 72 89 70 75

We all know every season isn't apples to apples. This year IUP played Kutztown and Shepherd in crossover. In 2019 IUP played Lock Haven and Millersville. But, as a whole, if somebody would have told me in August that IUP would have scored 35 ppg after 8 games ... I'd have probably bet they'd have been 7-1 -- not 5-3.

Comment

• 3 of those sacks came against Edinboro, so only 12 in the previous 7 games.

I've mentioned most of these before, but some other statistical observations that mean relatively nothing:

- Dead last in passing defense but tied for second-most INT.

- IUP has allowed opponents to convert 52.6% of 4th downs. That's second-worst in the conference.

- IUP is last in opponent penalties. I think that's a loaded and flawed statistic, but it matters.

- IUP is using RB by committee this year. Those three added together would be leading the PSAC in yards as an individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know how much that helps Javon going into next season. Harry made a decision to come to IUP - he could have gone elsewhere - why not start him?

Not to mention that IUP currently has 3 other QB's on the roster. I think Horn is probably a career back up but either of the two freshmen could be the QB of the future.
                              IUP football always has a transfer QB. Will be the same thing next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

CHECK THE RESUME!!! IUP BEEN STEAMROLLING THIS CONFERENCE FOR YEARS!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X