Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I wish I could tell you about the scholarship situation there, but I know people who wanted to play there (and had there choice of other surrounding D2 programs to play at) and the coaching staff wouldn't even blink at them. The "we don't recruit local players" line was spoken to more than one person I know who would be considered "locals."
    In 2017-18, IUP was at 2.06 full scholarships for baseball. There were three schools lower: Bloomsburg, Clarion, and Kutztown.

Ironically, men's golf and men's swimming don't even have a full scholarship between them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

In 2017-18, IUP was at 2.06 full scholarships for baseball. There were three schools lower: Bloomsburg, Clarion, and Kutztown.

Ironically, men's golf and men's swimming don't even have a full scholarship between them.

Well, 2.06 divided by, what, 30 guys?

Curious what the 'good' programs spend on baseball -- equivalency-wise?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

West Chester went 31-17 and first place in the PSAC East with 2.12 full scholarships.

Comment

Most recent numbers I have are for 2018-19

Mercyhurst: 7.88
          UPJ: 7.27
          Seton Hill: 7.22
          East Stroudsburg: 3.96
          Gannon: 3.52
          Millersville: 3.39
          Shepherd: 2.91
          Mansfield: 2.80
          Shippensburg: 2.20
          West Chester: 2.04
          IUP: 1.61
          Kutztown: 1.61
          Lock Haven: 1.58
          California: 1.43
          Slippery Rock: 1.10
          Bloomsburg: 0.48
          Clarion: 0.26
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

West Chester went 31-17 and first place in the PSAC East with 2.12 full scholarships.
            WCU baseball and football have the same number of scholarships. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I would say players play baseball in the PSAC for the love of the game.

Receiving an endowment for a "minor" sport helps to build a winning tradition. So does finding the right leader for the program. Often, a person just emerges who has the right formula, can change the direction of a program, recruit, and win. Then that tradition becomes self-perpetuating. How did the IUP golf program come to be what it is?

Comment

Thanks for posting. If you throw out the privates and their funny money, ... nobody is really pumping much in to baseball. I realize some load up on academic money, etc., which doesn't land in the scholarship category.

But, at the face value of those numbers, it appears IUP24 and IUPAlum's theory of just poor recruiting practices could definitely have merit. It appears most spend about the same.

1.61 scholarships over a roster? Our starting 3B's cut is like a $10 gift card to Folger Dining Hall.

Comment

• Bloom won the PSAC Championship in 2019 and has been consistently ranked with 0.48 scholarships. It's coaching.

Comment

• IUP junior women's swimmer Paige Mikesell won the national championship yesterday in the 200-meter freestyle at the 2021 NCAA D2 Swimming and Diving Championships held in Birmingham, Alabama.

Talk about an upset ... she entered seeded 30th out of 35 scheduled swimmers.

Comment

IUP junior women's swimmer Paige Mikesell won the national championship yesterday in the 200-meter freestyle at the 2021 NCAA D2 Swimming and Diving Championships held in Birmingham, Alabama.

Talk about an upset ... she entered seeded 30th out of 35 scheduled swimmers.
                      March Madness is not just relegated to hoops you know.

Any talk of the IUP football team getting new uniforms this year? They have been wearing these other things since 2015 and the advent of Lenny Williams. I think they definitely need a change up here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                        Any talk of the IUP football team getting new uniforms this year? They have been wearing these other things since 2015 and the advent of Lenny Williams. I think they definitely need a change up here.
                        The new ones resemble Ohio State.
                        http://www.indianagazette.com
                        www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

The new ones resemble Ohio State.
                          Do they look good?

Add----I just saw the jerseys on the tweeter page. Okay, I kind of like those a lot. They look pretty darn good. I wonder what the helmets and trousers will look like. A fresh look was badly needed.

Comment

• IUPatties Saturday has arrived.

The Green Beans are already all over town.

Comment

UPJ probably gets some. The thing is -- end of the day -- not a soul at IUP cares what that program does. It's essentially there for enrollment. These last 5-6 posts on the topic are more publicity than that program has got in the media in the past decade. Can you imagine if Tort or Joe even had one season under.500 (let alone numerous)? Thing is with baseball here losing has become the norm. It's expected.

Personally, I'd like to see them do better. D2 baseball is highly entertaining. Nobody here (Indiana) knows that, but, it is.

You can argue what the biggest program at IUP is currently. It was football for a long time. I think men's basketball may have passed it up in the last decade. Certainly basketball has had much more national success. Regardless, that's 1 and 1-A.

You can't be great at everything. There's just not enough money. Bottom line, I think most are OK with IUP sinking the coin in to the two big programs. Football still needs more money. As it is now, we can be a strong regional team year after year. But, the brass who think we can win a national title are a bit delusional. We don't have the depth. First 22 guys, yeah, IUP can compete with about anybody. It's the next 22 guys on the roster that make or break national titles.

Basketball is a different story. Joe's made the final game twice since 2010. Lost both, but nonetheless. Just getting there is so difficult. But, roster-wise, IUP can win the last game of the season in basketball.

Until we can jump from 23-25 scholarships to MAX, well, it's pretty much a dream on the gridiron. It can happen, but the odds are slim. Take 2017. That was a fantastic IUP football team. If they don't lose Max Redfield for the season in Round 2 ... who knows. I know the team wasn't the same without him the next week -- talent-wise or mentally. Max Redfield's don't grow on trees at this level. He was a once-a-decade player at IUP. He made everybody better -- physically and mentally.
                              ...has sucking at men's basketball hurt anything at Centre County Community College? Nope. Villanova will eat their lunch every year in Pennsylvania in basketball.but Penn State still gets all the students and has the foosball prgram.It's interesting that Penn State doesn't do the same as IUP in doing the big sports...they do Foosball and some of the not so glamourous sports where they win year after year. Yet...Penn State can play one basketball game a year at the Palestra in Philadelphia and sell it out by getting local alumni to show up...who generally don't care about the program on any other day of the year (an who probably root for Villanova most days anyway).

Comment

It's up on the hill near the animal shelter. It's actually pretty nice. If you're on Wayne Ave ... turn at Hosses' and go up the hill. Can't miss it. They built it up there around 2000 or so.
                                Is that the irony of it all? They actually have a decent baseball field...but won't spend on the program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X