Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Unfortunately I think it will be. The risk is very low for the player and it stokes their ego being able to play D1 - something they most likely didn't have as an option years before. In order to grad transfer you have to have graduated (there's some back end verification between the school & NCAA to finalize the deal) and if going to FBS that year is free (all 85 scholarship players must receive a full total cost of attendance scholarship) so its a free year to try to play at the highest level. Hard to pass up.
    In his case, it sounds like a really good decision. First, he is from MD and remember he transferred to IUP from Bowie State.

To get an opportunity to play at a B1G school is a big thing. Anybody would be excited about that.

Also, to be able to start some graduate work at UMD is a big thing, as well.

You never know, he might get to see some significant action in some games. I'll be rooting for him.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-08-2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

In his case, it sounds like a really good decision. First, he is from MD and remember he transferred to IUP from Bowie State.

To get an opportunity to play at a B1G school is a big thing. Anybody would be excited about that.

Also, to be able to start some graduate work at UMD is a big thing, as well.

You never know, he might get to see some significant action in some games. I'll be rooting for him.
      Agree.

Interesting thing about grad transfers - they don't have to be grad students afterward. They can take more undergraduate courses. I imagine at some point someone will be exposed for exploiting this loophole.

Comment

Agree.

Interesting thing about grad transfers - they don't have to be grad students afterward. They can take more undergraduate courses. I imagine at some point someone will be exposed for exploiting this loophole.
        Really? Can a school that doesn't offer graduate courses accept a grad transfer?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Really? Can a school that doesn't offer graduate courses accept a grad transfer?
          Yes. They can take undergraduate courses if they want. It will be exploited. Just like UNC has a major solely for athletes, there will be a sequence of BS low rigor classes for grad transfers.

For every one John Urschel there are 10 Cardale Jones just doing the bare minimum so he can play.

Comment

Yes. They can take undergraduate courses if they want. It will be exploited. Just like UNC has a major solely for athletes, there will be a sequence of BS low rigor classes for grad transfers.

For every one John Urschel there are 10 Cardale Jones just doing the bare minimum so he can play.
            For some, that is very true. College is just the necessary evil before they can get paid to play. It's bad enough the NCAA gets to force them to stay three years (football). Trevor Lawrence risked millions by playing last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

For some, that is very true. College is just the necessary evil before they can get paid to play. It's bad enough the NCAA gets to force them to stay three years (football). Trevor Lawrence risked millions by playing last year.
              Actually, IMHO it is the best thing in the world that there is that three-year rule in place for both college football as well as the NFL. I only wish that it would pertain to basketball as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Actually, IMHO it is the best thing in the world that there is that three-year rule in place for both college football as well as the NFL. I only wish that it would pertain to basketball as well.
                Well, it certainly is good for college football. Not so much the star players.

NCAA D1 Men's Basketball is awful -- perhaps the lowest quality it has ever been this past decade. The stars stay in school until their last game of their freshman year. Then they drop out to draft prep. It's a dual-pimp system. Major D1 has become glorified AAU ball. It's the dirtiest sport around when it comes to recruiting. Duke vs Kentucky is 10 freshmen playing against each other. One and done is great for players. Terrible for the NCAA product.

Imagine Phi Slamma Jamma or the 1990 UNLV team playing today's "No. 1" team? Bloodbath. Ugly.

It's an old argument but an interesting one. Why can NHL and MLB draft kids right out of high school?

The actual NFL prospects (not talking Johnny Pigskin at Robert Morris who has an uncle calling him a Day 1 pick) shouldn't have to 'play school' for three years after graduating high school. Trevor Lawrence (or insert star name) could go in Round 1 after one year of college. Round 1 is lifetime money for those not interested in buying 13 Ferrari's..

Cardale Jones gets mocked but he's just honest. You can always go back to school. Your stock to go Round 1 is an incredibly short period -- and few on Earth are lucky enough to get drafted in Round 1.

If you're a stud RB at Michigan, etc., ... as Mike Tomlin says ... run 'em until the wheels fall off.

Great for the NCAA game. Awful for the elite players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82
                  I don't think it's a loop hole and a student can take under graduate courses to their benefit in a different - but related subject area other than their major. I know, I know, we're talking a small percentage of American footballers as grad transfers actually thinking about anything but the NFL, but the possibility exists. Just as a loosely applicable example, I supplemented my IUP accounting degree with 12 credits from Pitt in computer science. Those 12 "post graduate undergraduate" courses spring boarded me into the Business Information Science world, a Master's in Information Science, and a pretty healthy career as a finance and accounting system and business analyst.

Comment

• Glad to hear you are on a list. On March 5 I received my second jab

Comment

• Originally posted by BADinPA View Post

Glad to hear you are on a list. On March 5 I received my second jab
                      I got my 2nd one on 2/26 so I'm almost at full strength. Now I can worry about regular life stuff like getting a colonoscopy.

Comment

• Just because you got the vaccine doesn't mean you can't get it still and you can still spread it to others!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Just because you got the vaccine doesn't mean you can't get it still and you can still spread it to others!!!
                          True. I'm fully aware of that. Plus, I live in the state of Texas which can definitely be hazardous to your health.

Comment

• Originally posted by BADinPA View Post

Glad to hear you are on a list. On March 5 I received my second jab

Comment

• IUP Spring Ball starts this Friday.

The Spring Game is scheduled for Wednesday, April 21. It will be open to the public.

It appears from the posted schedule there are no plans to practice with another team.

Comment

• IUP baseball off to a 1-5 start. Lordy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X