X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP baseball off to a 1-5 start. Lordy.

Comment

• Unfortunately. I know they don't spend much but year after year. They gave up 20 freaking runs yesterday in the second game. That's a pinata.

Softball is off to a 5-3 start. They landed some really good recruits the past couple years.

Comment

IUP baseball off to a 1-5 start. Lordy.
        As usual their pitchers don't throw strikes and they only have about 4 legit hitters like every year. Makes no sense that they get out recruited that bad!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

As usual their pitchers don't throw strikes and they only have about 4 legit hitters like every year. Makes no sense that they get out recruited that bad!
          IUP is a Golf school.

Comment

• Spring roster is up!

Comment

Unfortunately. I know they don't spend much but year after year. They gave up 20 freaking runs yesterday in the second game. That's a pinata.
              You're going to find that in early-season D-II ball. Coaches want to see if their pitchers can work out of jams. And if they can't ... well ...

Ship's matching them at 1-5, and that's not a usual occurrence there.

Comment

• Originally posted by iup73 View Post
                Spring roster is up!
                Any thoughts here? It's honestly been so long since I've really thought of anything IUP football related it is all just a blur.

I see that the elusive Irv Charles is listed on the rooster. So I deduce that this means that he does actually exist.

Looks like a numero change for Justice Evans. He switched to #6 which was once made vogue by a bullish IUP runner named James Suber.

Looks like Alex Ramart will wear #12. The only starting IUP QBs that wore 12 in the past 40 years or so that I can recall were Scott McGuigan and Pat Smith. Odd considering what a very popular number it used to be years ago among QBs. Consider that between 1971-1979 every single winning QB of the Super Bowl wore 12. Odd little stat only to be found in the Twilight Zone.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Any thoughts here? It's honestly been so long since I've really thought of anything IUP football related it is all just a blur.

I see that the elusive Irv Charles is listed on the rooster. So I deduce that this means that he does actually exist.

Looks like a numero change for Justice Evans. He switched to #6 which was once made vogue by a bullish IUP runner named James Suber.

Looks like Alex Ramart will wear #12. The only starting IUP QBs that wore 12 in the past 40 years or so that I can recall were Scott McGuigan and Pat Smith. Odd considering what a very popular number it used to be years ago among QBs. Consider that between 1971-1979 every single winning QB of the Super Bowl wore 12. Odd little stat only to be found in the Twilight Zone.
                  James Suber doesn't get mentioned enough in yesteryear talks. Heck of a player.

Comment

• Originally posted by iup73 View Post
                    Spring roster is up!
                    Duane Brown is back on there. Thank goodness.

Comment

• Nice to see Irv Charles officially on the roster.

Him and Duane Brown at WR. Saddle up.

Comment

Nice to see Irv Charles officially on the roster.

Him and Duane Brown at WR. Saddle up.
                        I could throw to those two! I'd be an older and grayer version of Mac Jones. At least 'til I got hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I could throw to those two! I'd be an older and grayer version of Mac Jones. At least 'til I got hit.
                          The offense is going to be insane. Add to those two a slew of other WRs, a star TE and numerous RBs. Of course, none of that skill matters if you aren't ready up front. I like what they have coming back but I think that is an area they add a transfer in the coming months.

I'd like to see Tort work the wire a bit for some immediate help on the other side. They are pretty good but I think they could use some imports to beef up a couple spots. Shockley leaving to join the Terps is a hole that needs addressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I have it on pretty good accord that they have a rather interesting recruiting philosophy in terms of who they are looking for, where they are getting particular players from, etc. The guy coaching now was a longtime assistant and former player to Jeff Ditch, so it seems as though he must have picked up the mantle there and continued the same philosophy. They have more players from Western PA now than when I was in school, but I heard from some pretty reliable people that Ditch didn't like recruiting Western PA. Was also told that Ditch essentially wouldn't offer a player a scholarship if he was from Indiana County. Would make that player walk-on. I'm not a local by any stretch, but I was friends in college with many who were. I know individuals that were recruited (and some who played) for other PSAC schools that were Heritage Conference players. Ditch wouldn't even look at them. Guys with offers from SRU, Cal, UPJ, etc. Refused to even go see them play in high school.

He was very focused on getting players from Central and Eastern PA. Again, more guys from the Western half of the state now, so I don't know.

I was recruited to play college baseball by mostly D3s and a few D2 schools. My mind was essentially made up I was going to IUP to just be a student because they had my major and I liked the campus. I had an initial conversation with Jeff Ditch about walking on, but it never went much further. Pretty much told me I had no chance to make his team because I didn't have the measurables he was looking for at the positions I played. Hey, I was fine with that. My decision was made to attend IUP regardless; playing baseball would have simply been an added bonus if I could. I appreciated the guy being up front. But when you're a struggling D2 program only looking for pitchers that are 6'3"+ and sitting 86-89 mph, you're limiting your pool.

Having been through the D2 baseball recruiting process, I can assure you it's very unique. The top programs (Seton Hill and Mercyhurst are in that conversation) want essentially the same guys that brand-name D1 schools do. Pure speed, great defender, and competent hitter at the SS, 2B, and CF positions. They want the corner spots to be big players (6'+) who have gap to gap power. Pitchers almost have to all be 6'3" or taller. They want somebody who has a projectable frame that they feel they can help add 4-5 mph to their fastball over time. 5'9" pitcher doesn't offer that. The D1 school gets the complete player, the D2 gets the player with all the tools and measurables that is "projectable."

To give you an idea of the philosophy (and I'm sure this is not unique to just IUP), I'll share this story... The best player I ever played baseball against was Dan Altavilla. I grew up playing against the guy and played against him in high school. He's currently pitching for the San Diego Padres. Our senior year he had Major League scouts there to see him pitch. He was sitting 89-92 with his fastball. Best player I ever played against; filthy stuff. Not one major D1 program offered him because he was 5'10". Nearly the entire PSAC offered and some D1 mid-majors. He landed at Mercyhurst, had an incredible college career, and wound up getting drafted in the 4th round after his junior year. You know which PSAC school didn't offer? IUP.

Recruiting in any sport is filled with those stories of "misses." He likely wouldn't have chosen IUP anyways. Hurst is a D2 power in baseball. But it's the fact that they didn't offer because he didn't fit the profile. Sometimes you have to get uncomfortable and step outside of your philosophy to simply find guys who can play. I admittedly don't follow IUP baseball, but that's my two cents to add to the conversation.
                            Last edited by IUP24; 03-17-2021, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I have it on pretty good accord that they have a rather interesting recruiting philosophy in terms of who they are looking for, where they are getting particular players from, etc. The guy coaching now was a longtime assistant and former player to Jeff Ditch, so it seems as though he must have picked up the mantle there and continued the same philosophy. They have more players from Western PA now than when I was in school, but I heard from some pretty reliable people that Ditch didn't like recruiting Western PA. Was also told that Ditch essentially wouldn't offer a player a scholarship if he was from Indiana County. Would make that player walk-on. I'm not a local by any stretch, but I was friends in college with many who were. I know individuals that were recruited (and some who played) for other PSAC schools that were Heritage Conference players. Ditch wouldn't even look at them. Guys with offers from SRU, Cal, UPJ, etc. Refused to even go see them play in high school.

He was very focused on getting players from Central and Eastern PA. Again, more guys from the Western half of the state now, so I don't know.

I was recruited to play college baseball by mostly D3s and a few D2 schools. My mind was essentially made up I was going to IUP to just be a student because they had my major and I liked the campus. I had an initial conversation with Jeff Ditch about walking on, but it never went much further. Pretty much told me I had no chance to make his team because I didn't have the measurables he was looking for at the positions I played. Hey, I was fine with that. My decision was made to attend IUP regardless; playing baseball would have simply been an added bonus if I could. I appreciated the guy being up front. But when you're a struggling D2 program only looking for pitchers that are 6'3"+ and sitting 86-89 mph, you're limiting your pool.

Having been through the D2 baseball recruiting process, I can assure you it's very unique. The top programs (Seton Hill and Mercyhurst are in that conversation) want essentially the same guys that D1 schools do. Pure speed, great defender, and competent hitter at the SS, 2B, and CF positions. They want the corner spots to be big players (6'+) who have gap to gap power. Pitchers almost have to all be 6'3" or taller. They want somebody who has a projectable frame that they feel they can help add 4-5 mph to their fastball over time. 5'9" pitcher doesn't offer that.

To give you an idea of the philosophy (and I'm sure this is not unique to just IUP), I'll share this story... The best player I ever played baseball against was Dan Altavilla. I grew up playing against the guy and played against him in high school. He's currently pitching for the San Diego Padres. Our senior year he had Major League scouts there to see him pitch. He was sitting 89-92 with his fastball. Best player I ever played against; filthy stuff. Not one major D1 program offered him because he was 5'10". Nearly the entire PSAC offered and some D1 mid-majors. He landed at Mercyhurst, had an incredible college career, and wound up getting drafted in the 4th round after his junior year. You know which PSAC school didn't offer? IUP.

Recruiting in any sport is filled with those stories of "misses." He likely wouldn't have chosen IUP anyways. Hurst is a D2 power in baseball. But it's the fact that they didn't offer because he didn't fit the profile. Sometimes you have to get uncomfortable and step outside of your philosophy to simply find guys who can play. I admittedly don't follow IUP baseball, but that's my two cents to add to the conversation.

Maybe it's long overdue to change the old philosophy ... or continue being basically a dumpster fire.

Comment

Maybe it's long overdue to change the old philosophy ... or continue being basically a dumpster fire.
                                Anything more would require BIG money (unlikely) or shifting resources from FB/MBB (extremely unlikely). Its my understanding that IUP puts nearly all of its unallocated men's athletic scholarship dollars into FB and MBB. The remaining scraps are given to the remaining sports to placate coaches. Anything above scraps are raised by the program or are already designated by alumni gifts. This allows IUP to maintain an above average profile in the only D2 sports that have any regional profile but they're also struggling to increase that capacity beyond what it is now.
                                Last edited by Fightingscot82; 03-17-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X